Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Distinguished Member

The TNT crew did this during the playoffs and Barkley picked Iverson as his number 1 pick. [​IMG]

For me, MJ goes first w/o a doubt. To be honest, outside of all those legends, I am not sure many of them can adapt to todays game. Russell & Wilt were great in their time but in their prime, I am not sure how they would measure up against Dwight or Shaq. They've never seen strength and athleticism like that in their years. I can see Kareem and Magic being able to hold their own but out of all those guys, MJ has the best chance to still dominate in todays game. With how soft the league has gotten, he'd probably average close to 40p/g and maybe 15-20 ft/g.

Some of those picks are questionable too, like Sabonis? Richmond? Porter? Marion? All before Derrick Rose?

the fact that chris bosh was chosen in any of those rounds was the ...[​IMG]

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Stylish Dinosaur

marion played better than rose in terms of clutch shots during finals, just watching from games. not sure what the stats say otherwise

3. RFX45

RFX45 Stylish Dinosaur

marion played better than rose in terms of clutch shots during finals, just watching from games. not sure what the stats say otherwise

Not a fair comparison because Rose wasn't in the finals. [​IMG]

I get what you're saying but the question is fantasy league-wise, who would you choose and Rose went on the 12th round. That means 132 players went ahead of him, a guy who carried a dilapidated Bulls team to the Conference Finals. What he did this year alone warrants an earlier pick.

4. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Distinguished Member

Not a fair comparison because Rose wasn't in the finals. [​IMG] I get what you're saying but the question is fantasy league-wise, who would you choose and Rose went on the 12th round. That means 132 players went ahead of him, a guy who carried a dilapidated Bulls team to the Conference Finals. What he did this year alone warrants an earlier pick.
    rose is shit. guy makes the worst commercials on the planet. He needs to take some speech classes. 9.8 LOLOL

5. RFX45

RFX45 Stylish Dinosaur

rose is shit.

guy makes the worst commercials on the planet. He needs to take some speech classes. 9.8 LOLOL

If I were him i'd hire a manager to walk around with me, but a manager like in wrestling where they pretty much talk for me. Dude is mad awkward when he speaks but it's cool, he proves it in the court unlike Lebron who just can't shut up.

6. yjeezle

yjeezle Distinguished Member

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

Speaking of harden the du sent my buddy's girl a $300 bottle of champagne poolside in miami on friday [​IMG]

8. reezy

reezy Senior Member

Speaking of harden the du sent my buddy's girl a $300 bottle of champagne poolside in miami on friday [​IMG]

Can't beat free booze. Saw Damon Jones losing a lot of dough in roulette at Bellagio [​IMG]

9. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

Oh yah, that sounds good to me. I wasn't favoring that trade for Dwight either way but if they do trade him, I would put Harden as a PG before Maynor.

Although, I think Harden is plenty fast and strong enough for most PGs in the league. He's pretty athletic himself and OKC has a pretty decent team defense with Ibaka and Perkins in the paint as back-up so I'd still take him over Maynor anyday, anytime.

If the choice is between Harden and Maynor, then Harden is the better choice, but the bottom line for me with OKC is they must keep Westbrook because they don't have a competent replacement. Also, he's just learning to play point guard and his upside at PG is really unknown. He's like a more mature Gilbert Arenas right now (Though only slightly more mature. He pouts on the sidelines when he's pulled, but hasn't yet refused to shoot for the first 46 minutes of a game). OKC's best move IMO is to keep Durant, Westbrook, and Harden as their core and build around them.

(Though I won't believe it until I see it, you may be right that Harden can defend point guards. After all, Jason Kidd manages somehow and Harden has GOT to be more athletic than Kidd.)

Thought you gentlemen might find this interesting:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...t-results.html

This is really interesting. As great as MJ was, I'd have to take Wilt with the number one pick. The game revolves around dominant big men and point guards who can make their teammates better. With that in mind, if Wilt were unavailable in Round 1, my choice would be Magic Johnson or The Big O.

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

Thought you gentlemen might find this interesting:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...t-results.html

Magic lasting until the #8 pick is completely insane. Did these guys watch him play live? He's the definition of "someone who makes his teammates better."

11. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

Magic lasting until the #8 pick is completely insane. Did these guys watch him play live? He's the definition of "someone who makes his teammates better."
    No kidding. I even thought of taking him first overall, ahead of Wilt. Remember the championship game where he replaced KAJ at center and scored, what, 42 points? The guy could do everything and do it phenomenally well.

12. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior Member

Rumor mill... Gasol for Love and a pick? Merry Christmas LA. At least Love will get out of that hell hole he plays in now.

13. Brogued

Brogued Senior Member

Yeah, whenever I think of dream teams, he's always running the point.

14. RFX45

RFX45 Stylish Dinosaur

This is really interesting. As great as MJ was, I'd have to take Wilt with the number one pick. The game revolves around dominant big men and point guards who can make their teammates better. With that in mind, if Wilt were unavailable in Round 1, my choice would be Magic Johnson or The Big O.

False, MJ won 6 chips with Luc Longley & Horace Grant as the main centers. Shaq was the last dominant big men to lead a team and win a chip and that was pretty much it. You can argue that Duncan was a dominant big man too but we are talking about centers right? Even then, Duncan didn't feel like as physically imposing force as Shaq was, he did have Robinsons help early in his career.

Now I am not arguing that a big man isn't needed but the whole "game revolves around a dominant big men" doesn't hold true anymore just because everyone is so physically big and and athletic these days, you don't even need to be a 7-footer to be a center these days but they still get up there and defend the paint.

15. fairholme_wannabe

fairholme_wannabe Senior Member

Kevin Durant threw down recently during some Drew League game...

Rumor mill... Gasol for Love and a pick? Merry Christmas LA. At least Love will get out of that hell hole he plays in now.

Heard the pick is supposed to be the #2.