Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Give me Durant, a veteran point guard and a couple of journeyman bigs and I will give you a team to beat.

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Give me Durant, a veteran point guard and a couple of journeyman bigs and I will give you a team to beat.

Trade westbrook for nash!

seriously though how about this trade:

okc: russell westbrook, Kendrick perkins, nate robinson
    ORL: Dwight Howard

it works in the NBA trade machine. you make Maynor a non-ballhog PG who will pass to howard or durrant. orlando gets westbrook and perkins, (both with great contracts) and nate robinson as a throw in who you can the contract go after 2012. Both teams are far far away from each other so there's no backlash trading to a division rival.

3. fairholme_wannabe

fairholme_wannabe Senior member

Trade westbrook for nash!

seriously though how about this trade:

okc: russell westbrook, Kendrick perkins, nate robinson
    ORL: Dwight Howard

it works in the NBA trade machine. you make Maynor a non-ballhog PG who will pass to howard or durrant. orlando gets westbrook and perkins, (both with great contracts) and nate robinson as a throw in who you can the contract go after 2012. Both teams are far far away from each other so there's no backlash trading to a division rival.

Doubt Orlando would do that, as they'd surely get a better deal from LA or NY (Amare?), or squeeze an extra asset out of OKC.

It does seem like a Presti trade though--consolidating assets without taking discounts on the aggregate value of what he's giving up. More importantly, OKC would get to keep Ibaka and Harden. Defensively, that team would be ridiculous. Trick would be extending Harden and Ibaka long term with a D12 and KD max--but they'll have that challenge with a Westbrook and KD pair regardless.

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

That trade won't happen, Magic has too many PG's if that trade were to happen. Nelso, Arenas, Duhon plus they have a bunch of undersized guards in Reddick and Richardson (he's 6'6" but looks short [​IMG] ). So adding Westbrook & Nate Robinson isn't the best move.

Plus I wouldn't start Maynor as a PG if Westbrook leaves, that job goes to Harden w/o hesitation.

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

That trade won't happen, Magic has too many PG's if that trade were to happen. Nelso, Arenas, Duhon plus they have a bunch of undersized guards in Reddick and Richardson (he's 6'6" but looks short [​IMG] ). So adding Westbrook & Nate Robinson isn't the best move. Plus I wouldn't start Maynor as a PG if Westbrook leaves, that job goes to Harden w/o hesitation.
    Harden would become marbury/westbrook 2.0 [​IMG] why not just bite the bullet and realize that westbrook has the potential to become Dwyane Wade 2.0! both the same height, same athleticism, same scoring temperament, same ability to slash, ect. westbrook may need to be freed from his PG shackles and run and score as a 1st option. run nelson as the point and just let westbrook go to town scoring wise as a 2 guard. You still get perk to play defense/rebound and let this be an offensive juggernaut team...
    Doubt Orlando would do that, as they'd surely get a better deal from LA or NY (Amare?), or squeeze an extra asset out of OKC.
    bynum (+/- odom ), or amare are great trade chips, but they both still have huge red flags on their backs with potential season ending injuries always a scary possibility. I'd want something with less injury potential. If orlando ends up knowing that howard isn't resigning then they have to make a move right? That really sucks for them. Hopefully they get something great back and can still compete.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Harden would become marbury/westbrook 2.0 [​IMG]

I don't really see that, Harden runs the offense much better than Westbrook. He sees the court better than Westbrook but could also score at will at times. He isn't as good as Westbrook but as you said, Westbrook is more of a scorer than a true PG so I think overall Harden is much better in the starting line-up, also keep in mind that if he didn't get into foul trouble, they may have beaten Dallas at least one more game and pushed that series to Game 6. OKC lost a lot of offensive movement when Harden went to the bench.

Plus Maynor is not as good and more of a Westbrook 2.0 than anything. I can't forget that one play in the last minute, dude held the ball for the whole shot clock and then waved off Westbrook, Durant and Harden to get out of his way, sloppily dribbles his way to the paint (which surprisingly he didn't turn the ball over) and shots a fade away jump shot that looks worst that Marions shot. I give him props for his confidence but fuck if you have one of the top 5 players in your team and one of the top 5 PGs in the year, I'd give it to them and let them score that rock.

why not just bite the bullet and realize that westbrook has the potential to become Dwyane Wade 2.0! both the same height, same athleticism, same scoring temperament, same ability to slash, ect. westbrook may need to be freed from his PG shackles and run and score as a 1st option.

run nelson as the point and just let westbrook go to town scoring wise as a 2 guard. You still get perk to play defense/rebound and let this be an offensive juggernaut team...

True but I don't think he is on that level as DWade yet. Dudes been getting by because of Durant. Take out Durant in that OKC team and I'm not sure they'd make the playoffs as Westbrook as the 31 option. And that is exactly what he'll be in Orlando. His #2 option would be Nelson w/o any scoring presence in the paint?

Perkins can be a pest in the paint but you can see that he need back-up like Garnett in Boston and Ibaka in OKC. You can see the weakness in his defense too, he can't guard someone who can shoot an outside shot well. Collison were the preferred defender in almost all the playoff series over him. Collison were guarding Randolph, Aldridge and Dirk for the most part. I wouldn't take Perkins in my team if he'll solely be my defensive strength in the paint.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

I don't really see that, Harden runs the offense much better than Westbrook. He sees the court better than Westbrook but could also score at will at times. He isn't as good as Westbrook but as you said, Westbrook is more of a scorer than a true PG so I think overall Harden is much better in the starting line-up, also keep in mind that if he didn't get into foul trouble, they may have beaten Dallas at least one more game and pushed that series to Game 6. OKC lost a lot of offensive movement when Harden went to the bench. Plus Maynor is not as good and more of a Westbrook 2.0 than anything. I can't forget that one play in the last minute, dude held the ball for the whole shot clock and then waved off Westbrook, Durant and Harden to get out of his way, sloppily dribbles his way to the paint (which surprisingly he didn't turn the ball over) and shots a fade away jump shot that looks worst that Marions shot. I give him props for his confidence but fuck if you have one of the top 5 players in your team and one of the top 5 PGs in the year, I'd give it to them and let them score that rock. True but I don't think he is on that level as DWade yet. Dudes been getting by because of Durant. Take out Durant in that OKC team and I'm not sure they'd make the playoffs as Westbrook as the 31 option. And that is exactly what he'll be in Orlando. His #2 option would be Nelson w/o any scoring presence in the paint? Perkins can be a pest in the paint but you can see that he need back-up like Garnett in Boston and Ibaka in OKC. You can see the weakness in his defense too, he can't guard someone who can shoot an outside shot well. Collison were the preferred defender in almost all the playoff series over him. Collison were guarding Randolph, Aldridge and Dirk for the most part. I wouldn't take Perkins in my team if he'll solely be my defensive strength in the paint.
    I think OKC stands pat and counts on player maturation to make them a better team. Westbrook can bring the ball upcourt, but they should run the offense through Harden as a "point forward" like Scottie Pippen (Harden is 6'7", with the bulk of a small forward so I don't think he can play PG). With some maturation, OKC could resemble the Bulls of the MJ era. Although no one can reasonably be compared with Jordan, Durant and Westbrook together give OKC as much as MJ and Steve Kerr together, after some major improvement Harden impersonates Pippen, and Ibaka and Perkins might contribute as much as Grant and Cartwright. OKC has a really young team that could get substantially better, given simply more experience. If I were their GM, I'd look to the draft and free agency to make small tweaks to the roster, maybe find a 3-point shooter, someone who can create his own shot, and/or a better power forward. I'm not talking about stars here, I'm talking about finding or developing very good role players like Jason Terry and Udonis Haslem.

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Westbrook can bring the ball upcourt, but they should run the offense through Harden as a "point forward" like Scottie Pippen (Harden is 6'7", with the bulk of a small forward so I don't think he can play PG).
    Hardens only 6'5" and Westbrook is only 6'3" but they seem to be just about the same height. [​IMG] Harden will get slaughtered as an SF especially if guarding someone like Lebron or Artest or Deng. Plus Durant plays SF and they can't move him to PF because he is just plain too scrawny.

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

Hardens only 6'5" and Westbrook is only 6'3" but they seem to be just about the same height. Harden will get slaughtered as an SF especially if guarding someone like Lebron or Artest or Deng. Plus Durant plays SF and they can't move him to PF because he is just plain too scrawny.
    My bad. Harden is listed as a 6'5" guard, but IMO he's not quick enough to guard most NBA point guards. So put Harden at SG, Durant at SF, and leave Westbrook at PG to bring the ball upcourt, but let Harden initiate the offense.

10. fairholme_wannabe

bynum (+/- odom ), or amare are great trade chips, but they both still have huge red flags on their backs with potential season ending injuries always a scary possibility. I'd want something with less injury potential.

If orlando ends up knowing that howard isn't resigning then they have to make a move right? That really sucks for them. Hopefully they get something great back and can still compete.

Sorry--should have detailed more. When I'm thinking of LA and NYK, I'm thinking of their additional ability to absorb one of the Magic's horrible contracts (Gilbert or Turk--take your pick) in addition to giving up assets. The large market teams have the ability to pay a luxury tax bill that would simply be prohibitive for OKC. I think that if/when ORL deals Dwight, they'll get assets in return, but they'll definitely be shedding a bad contract or two as well. That's why I think OKC won't be able to offer as much as the Lakers or Knicks.

11. fairholme_wannabe

My bad. Harden is listed as a 6'5" guard, but IMO he's not quick enough to guard most NBA point guards. So put Harden at SG, Durant at SF, and leave Westbrook at PG to bring the ball upcourt, but let Harden initiate the offense.

I like the thought--OKC was most effective in the playoffs when Harden initiated the offense off of a high screen. They need to be doing that much more next season, if its not going to be their primary set.

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Oh yah, that sounds good to me. I wasn't favoring that trade for Dwight either way but if they do trade him, I would put Harden as a PG before Maynor.

Although, I think Harden is plenty fast and strong enough for most PGs in the league. He's pretty athletic himself and OKC has a pretty decent team defense with Ibaka and Perkins in the paint as back-up so I'd still take him over Maynor anyday, anytime.

13. sexandcandy

sexandcandy Senior member

rumors about a Pau Gasol for Kevin Love and 2nd overall pick

would do that in an instant!

14. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Thought you gentlemen might find this interesting:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...t-results.html

The TNT crew did this during the playoffs and Barkley picked Iverson as his number 1 pick. [​IMG]

For me, MJ goes first w/o a doubt. To be honest, outside of all those legends, I am not sure many of them can adapt to todays game. Russell & Wilt were great in their time but in their prime, I am not sure how they would measure up against Dwight or Shaq. They've never seen strength and athleticism like that in their years. I can see Kareem and Magic being able to hold their own but out of all those guys, MJ has the best chance to still dominate in todays game. With how soft the league has gotten, he'd probably average close to 40p/g and maybe 15-20 ft/g.

Some of those picks are questionable too, like Sabonis? Richmond? Porter? Marion? All before Derrick Rose?