NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

2. thinman

thinman Senior member

Onion Sports Network always brings the laughs

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/ar...-sports,20819/

From the story: "As of press time, no Cleveland resident has apologized for acting like an immature child."

ROFL!

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    my name is foodguy and i have a problem. it's been less than a week since the nba season ended and already i'm having withdrawal.
    my methadone? nba channel's "hoops classics". great old games! first one i found by accident was shaq-era orlando v. jordan-era bulls playoff game. second one was kobe-shaq-era lakers v. QUEENS! scary, my wife and i saying "i remember when that announcer said that!" rick fox, a very young dfish, shaw ... and to keep this non-laker exclusive, vlade divac (getting totally hosed by the refs, honestly), chris webber, jayson williams, turkoglu, stojakovich ...
    great fun. and surprising how many layups those guys missed. i seem to remember every shot jordan ever made going in.

4. jet

jet Persian Bro

those classics games are a scary trip down memory lane

jordan wasn't as great a shooter as people made him out to be, also an enormous ballhog

same here re: w/d

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    jordan wasn't as great a shooter as people made him out to be, also an enormous ballhog

yup.but what shocked me was i had just turned to the channel and here's this guy driving the lane and i said "that's michael jordan!" there was just something about the way he moved. he ate up distance so easily and so gracefully. like a big cat.

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

I know, it was so effortless. When I watch highlights from time to time I see him pick up the dribble before the freethrow line then all of a sudden he's taking off sailing through the air dunking on someone.

I'm always in awe watching kobe's highlights too, there are so many of them you can spend hours on youtube.

7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

my name is foodguy and i have a problem. it's been less than a week since the nba season ended and already i'm having withdrawal.
    my methadone? nba channel's "hoops classics". great old games! first one i found by accident was shaq-era orlando v. jordan-era bulls playoff game. second one was kobe-shaq-era lakers v. QUEENS! scary, my wife and i saying "i remember when that announcer said that!" rick fox, a very young dfish, shaw ... and to keep this non-laker exclusive, vlade divac (getting totally hosed by the refs, honestly), chris webber, jayson williams, turkoglu, stojakovich ...
    great fun. and surprising how many layups those guys missed. i seem to remember every shot jordan ever made going in.

I remember them showing a regular season game between a jason kidd lead NJ nets vs those epic suns teams (2005-2006) where kid had 42 and nash had 38. Nash played like 45min. Its weird because they limit him to only 28-30min now and it just looked like he'd fall apart into pieces after these games.

I don't know if nash in place of kidd on this mavericks team wins the title. I have no fucking clue how kidd was able to check kobe/westbrook/ and even some wade and lebron these playoffs. I do know that nash would've been toasted every possession.

8. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I love Steve Nash but I don't think the Mavs win that title without Kidd's defense.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Early in his career, he wasn't a great shooter but dude consistently shot around 50% and averaging about 25 attempts a game in his Bulls career, that isn't bad at all since they did eventually end up winning 6 rings. Around the 90's though, he pretty much improved his all around game and patented the fade away shot. It was as unstoppable as Kareems Sky Hook. Not to mention MJ does it beautifully. I can seriously spend a whole day watching MJ highlights and never get tired of it. Nobody moved like him, finished like him and dominated the way he did for his size. The only guard that has ever won an MVP and DPOY awards in their entire career. There really is nothing like him.

10. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

those classics games are a scary trip down memory lane

same here re: w/d

What data do you have to back your assertion up?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...jordami01.html
    Taking into account he played the WHOLE season
    Jordan Worst FG% w/ Bulls: 0.465, lead the league in scoring, last year with Bulls
    Jordan Best FG% w/ Bulls: 0.539, lead the league in scoring

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...bryanko01.html
    Taking into account he played most of the minutes in a game.
    Kobe Worst FG%: 0.433
    Kobe Best FG%: 0.469

Jordan's worst year was almost as good as Kobe's best year.

11. jet

jet Persian Bro

Early in his career, he wasn't a great shooter but dude consistently shot around 50% and averaging about 25 attempts a game in his Bulls career, that isn't bad at all since they did eventually end up winning 6 rings. Around the 90's though, he pretty much improved his all around game and patented the fade away shot. It was as unstoppable as Kareems Sky Hook. Not to mention MJ does it beautifully. I can seriously spend a whole day watching MJ highlights and never get tired of it. Nobody moved like him, finished like him and dominated the way he did for his size. The only guard that has ever won an MVP and DPOY awards in their entire career. There really is nothing like him.

Jordan stats look more impressive than his play away from the rim to be honest. You can quote stats all day but they don't as much as compared to watching the games I did when I was younger. MJ reminds me of early Kobe when he was a ballhog. No doubt that he was great regardless though.

12. venessian

venessian Senior member

I don't know if nash in place of kidd on this mavericks team wins the title. I have no fucking clue how kidd was able to check kobe/westbrook/ and even some wade and lebron these playoffs. I do know that nash would've been toasted every possession.

I love Steve Nash but I don't think the Mavs win that title without Kidd's defense.

No kidding.

This line from the SI article really struck me. The guy is 38 years old, with lots of miles on him:
    Amazing.

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

[​IMG]
    At that point, you could probably put me to guard Lebron and he still wouldn't score.

14. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

What's the deal with Rubio? His stats from Spain this year are shit. 6 points, 3.5 assists, 31% fg. Bust? [​IMG]

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

What's the deal with Rubio? His stats from Spain this year are shit. 6 points, 3.5 assists, 31% fg. Bust? [​IMG]

still... if rubio pans out they have a nice nucleus: rubio/love/beasley