Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Don't get me wrong, dude brings much of it on himself but nothing he says or does will ever be good enough.

Ring

2. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Yeah everyone seems to be forgetting that Dirk was known (wrongfully) as a playoffs choker and people here in Dallas were saying the Mavs would never win a championship with Dirk as their star. Shit, as late as the middle of these playoffs people were still saying that. You win a ring and all is forgiven.

3. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Don't get me wrong, dude brings much of it on himself but nothing he says or does will ever be good enough. So I guess that's it.

If Lebron played like he did in the Cavs vs. Detroit conference finals and lost, he wouldn't get crusified.

He'd still have some haters of course which you can't prevent, but it would be FAR less.

4. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Yeah everyone seems to be forgetting that Dirk was known (wrongfully) as a playoffs choker and people here in Dallas were saying the Mavs would never win a championship with Dirk as their star. Shit, as late as the middle of these playoffs people were still saying that. You win a ring and all is forgiven.

This.

I believe that people are prepared to love LeBron. He just needs to steadily work on his image and steadily work on his game. If he will stop saying stupid things and work on fixing some very fixable weaknesses in his game, people will stop hating him. Images can be changed.

Also, I agree with FG, Bosh was very solid throughout the playoffs.

5. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

It was a douchey thing to say but come on man, its like he ALWAYS gets crucified for anything. I kinda understand why he's defensive/said it. And he's right. I'd switch places.

honestly not many people wouldnt.

skills yes. no improvement needed. good solid coaching as the opposition gets stiffer. everyone can benefit from that.

7. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

What bothered people is not his Sheen-ish "winning" attitude, although that is always pretty irksome. What bothers people is that we expect elite athletes to love winning and hate losing in equal amounts. It's like Tony Romo saying that getting blown out by the Eagles and missing the playoffs wasn't "the worst thing that ever happened to him". Maybe it wasn't, but the fans don't want to hear that. They feel shitty seeing their team lose and they want the players to feel even worse. If they don't, then they are going to question your commitment. If you're reaction to losing a championship you were expected to win is "hey, I'm still rich and have an awesome life", then you don't have the attitude of a winner at this level.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure James was devastated. And a lot of the criticism is unfair. But you know what, the guy needs to get thicker skin and start responding to things like an adult, unless he wants to be the villain of the NBA forever.

8. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

It's like Tony Romo saying that getting blown out by the Eagles and missing the playoffs wasn't "the worst thing that ever happened to him". Maybe it wasn't, but the fans don't want to hear that. They feel shitty seeing their team lose and they want the players to feel even worse. If they don't, then they are going to question your commitment.

When I first heard the comments this is exactly what I thought of. Its like a defense mechanism they toss out there to protect themselves from the feeling of losing. I was disappointed he said it, but then again when you insulate yourself with dudes from your high school you never really learn how to talk to the media.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Radio talk today is the Lakers should trade Bynum & Odom for Howard and Arenas. Through the trade machine, the Lakers needed to throw in more so with a little tweaking, this looks like a decent trade. [​IMG] Sure the Lakers absorb Arenas' horrible contract but he can't be any worse than Blake as a back-up PG, and might actually be better than Fisher. They get rid of Walton and the injury prone Bynum. Odom is a big loss but I think the Lakers has a better upside. Do it Mitch! Better scenario for the Lakers to replace Odoms bench production. [​IMG] Probably won't happen because no one would be stupid enough to take Waltons contract.

11. venessian

venessian Senior member

With a likely lower hard cap any trade involving Arenas' contract would be stupid. Even now, trading for Arenas would be stupid. There is no advantage for the Lakers there.

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

With a likely lower hard cap any trade involving Arenas' contract would be stupid. Even now, trading for Arenas would be stupid. There is no advantage for the Lakers there.

If that trade were to happen and the Lakers get Howard and lose Walton, even with Arenas that is a good trade. Huge advantage for the Lakers to have Pau and Dwight in the paint dawg. If the second trade happens and Anderson comes off the Lakers bench to replace Odom, that is a bigger advantage for the Lakers since he can shoot from the outside and rebound, not as well as Odom but he can get average 6-8 with consistent minutes.

13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

this was a fun thread. the season didn't have the outcome i wanted, but that's life. the better team won.

so what happens next season? do we start a new thread (2011-2012)?

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

this was a fun thread. the season didn't have the outcome i wanted, but that's life. the better team won.

so what happens next season? do we start a new thread (2011-2012)?

I usually start an "Official Off-Season Thread" but I'll wait til draft day for that next week I guess. Right now, lets cherish Dallas' victory in this thread.

15. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Howard said he doesn't want to go. I know, we've heard that before, but still.