NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. venessian

venessian Senior member

So who moves to top of the list of active older vets who are considered elite and never one a championship? Nash?

Nash definitely #1 among active players.
    Grant Hill, Vinsanity, Yao, T-Mac, Andre Miller, LeBron.

2. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

was hoping dirk would do something distinctly german and shit in lebron's mouth

[​IMG] caviar, Lebron?

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Party, party, party!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

Wow. Great series.

I can't believe the Mavs won. What kind of odds could you have gotten for them pre-playoffs?????

Dirk owned all series (excluding this first half, shrug) and I'm super happy he earned his ring.

I don't know if we'll ever know the reason LeBron fucked shit up the way he did, but he certainly played a terrible and bizarre style of basketball. His legacy has taken a gigantic (and possibly irredeemable) hit, and for good reason. Even his biggest supporters (and I've been a leBron fan) have admitted as much.

It's hard to see the Heat getting much better in the years to come. They'll always be super cash-strapped. Improvement may have to come from within, in the form of Wade/James developing solid 3-point range, and James getting a more developed post game.

Seriously, though, crazy congratulations towards the Mavs. Shooting that fuckin well from 3????? The Heat may have choked a game or so away, but you can't say they lost this series. The Mavs were the better team and they proved that all through the playoffs.

5. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

i'm debating on whether or not to go to academy to get championship shirts...

6. overdog

overdog Senior member

Wow. Great series.

I can't believe the Mavs won. What kind of odds could you have gotten for them pre-playoffs?????

Dirk owned all series (excluding this first half, shrug) and I'm super happy he earned his ring.

I don't know if we'll ever know the reason LeBron fucked shit up the way he did, but he certainly played a terrible and bizarre style of basketball. His legacy has taken a gigantic (and possibly irredeemable) hit, and for good reason. Even his biggest supporters (and I've been a leBron fan) have admitted as much.

It's hard to see the Heat getting much better in the years to come. They'll always be super cash-strapped. Improvement may have to come from within, in the form of Wade/James developing solid 3-point range, and James getting a more developed post game.

Seriously, though, crazy congratulations towards the Mavs. Shooting that fuckin well from 3????? The Heat may have choked a game or so away, but you can't say they lost this series. The Mavs were the better team and they proved that all through the playoffs.

I used to hate Dirk for all his flopping and whining on offense, but in the end, I guess he's a decent person. The Heat need to get a post presence on offense somehow. Their dribble penetration was getting entirely shut down by Mavs' zone defense. Lebron made a post move today on Marion that surprised me. I don't watch him very much, but it's one of the few post moves I've seen from him. This far into his career I don't think he's going to improve much in that department.

7. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Wow. Great series.

Not to pick on you at all, but I think this is a bit of a kneejerk. Fact is, the Heat beat some really good teams to get to the NBA finals. You've got to be pretty damned good to do that. This was their first year together. It's hard to build a championship team in one year.

This team has a ton of talent. LaBron James, for all his weaknesses, is still a scary good player. He has weaknesses that Dallas exposed, but he can (and probably will) get better in the coming years. If anyone can figure out how to get this collection of players to play well together, I'd put my money on Pat Riley. He needs to add some bench depth and probably a true ball distributing point guard who can bring these pieces together as a team and get the ball to the scorers in the right position on t he court. If they had those things, they could become scary-good and for a long time.

Keep in mind, that after 2006 people were saying the same things about Dirk that they're now saying about LaBron. It's funny how winning a title makes all that stuff seem silly. If LaBron wins a title, no one will remember this year.

8. SeanathonHuff

SeanathonHuff Senior member

[​IMG]
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

9. overdog

overdog Senior member

Not to pick on you at all, but I think this is a bit of a kneejerk. Fact is, the Heat beat some really good teams to get to the NBA finals. You've got to be pretty damned good to do that. This was their first year together. It's hard to build a championship team in one year.

This team has a ton of talent. LaBron James, for all his weaknesses, is still a scary good player. He has weaknesses that Dallas exposed, but he can (and probably will) get better in the coming years. If anyone can figure out how to get this collection of players to play well together, I'd put my money on Pat Riley. He needs to add some bench depth and probably a true ball distributing point guard who can bring these pieces together as a team and get the ball to the scorers in the right position on t he court. If they had those things, they could become scary-good and for a long time.

Keep in mind, that after 2006 people were saying the same things about Dirk that they're now saying about LaBron. It's funny how winning a title makes all that stuff seem silly. If LaBron wins a title, no one will remember this year.

Good points. The Heat still need to develop the right chemistry, rather than relying on individual talent alone. Even when the Mavs were losing to the Heat early in the series, they still looked more like a well-oiled machine--they were just missing shots and getting outrebounded.

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

I'm in love with Dirk Nowitzki.

11. venessian

venessian Senior member

The Heat need to get a post presence on offense somehow. Their dribble penetration was getting entirely shut down by Mavs' zone defense. Lebron made a post move today on Marion that surprised me. I don't watch him very much, but it's one of the few post moves I've seen from him. This far into his career I don't think he's going to improve much in that department.
    Miami is actually decent on the boards, but I agree that they do need a better passing center (someone like Walton would have thrived on this team) and a real PG, so that they don't always have to start their offense from the perimeter. However, I don't agree re: LeBron. This far into his career? He's only 26! Jordan won his first ring at 28, and changed his game significantly in his later years. Of course LeBron will improve. All the great players do. The Mavs were simply more experienced, more mature, more together and better coached this year. As soon as Miami learns to play together, more fluidly, they'll be damned hard to stop. The CHI-MIA battles in the East will be there for quite awhile, I think.

12. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

which Heat member was it who kneeled down in the tunnel after the final buzzer, as if crying? It looked like LuBron on my tiny computer screen but it doesn't seem plausible...

13. facebookdigg123

facebookdigg123 Senior member

it was chris bosh. i thought raptors never shed tears though

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I used to hate Dirk for all his flopping and whining on offense, but in the end, I guess he's a decent person. The Heat need to get a post presence on offense somehow. Their dribble penetration was getting entirely shut down by Mavs' zone defense. Lebron made a post move today on Marion that surprised me. I don't watch him very much, but it's one of the few post moves I've seen from him. This far into his career I don't think he's going to improve much in that department.
    Lebron certainly could develop a decent post game if his prima donna ass were willing to put in the work. Say what you will about Kobe, he has always worked incredibly hard to get better. When he decided he'd be a better player with a good post-up game? He reached out and asked one of the all-time great post players, Hakeem Olajuwon, to work with him. Lebron should take a lesson from him -- he certainly has the athleticism and skill do be excellent at pretty much any aspect of the game he wishes, if he has the desire.

15. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Lebron certainly could develop a decent post game if his prima donna ass were willing to put in the work. Say what you will about Kobe, he has always worked incredibly hard to get better. When he decided he'd be a better player with a good post-up game? He reached out and asked one of the all-time great post players, Hakeem Olajuwon, to work with him. Lebron should take a lesson from him -- he certainly has the athleticism and skill do be excellent at pretty much any aspect of the game he wishes, if he has the desire.

Kobe did it. So did Jordan. MJ didn't have a good post game early in his career. He had to learn it. So did Dirk. 7-8 years ago Dirk had very little game inside of 15 feet. He had to learn it. But you're right. It takes hard work. It takes admitting that you have weaknesses and that you need to improve and change your game.

We'll see if he has that will.