1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

My perspective would be a lot different if this were a strike rather than a lockout. The players are getting paid whatever amount they are because the owners decided that was the market value. Now the owners are realizing that, by and large, they're too incompetent to be allowed to determine wages and they won't let the players work unless new rules are instituted to prevent the owners from acting like idiots. Add to that the fact that an anti-trust exemption is the only reason the league can behave like this, and you have a situation where I find it very difficult to feel at all sympathetic to the owners.

Now at the same time, the players are really screwing themselves hard by letting the season go. Their careers are not that long, and missing a whole season is something many of them will never be able to make up from having a slightly better deal with the league. I understand why they don't want to just give in and get screwed by the owners, but it really might be the best decision they could make.

2. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The fact that Joe Johnson, Gilbert Arenas, and Rashard Lewis are on that list fully explains why the owners felt they needed to lockout the players. You could go a list another 20 players who are getting truly irrational amounts of money for their ability.

I totally didn't understand the Joe Johnson thing. He's demonstrated over and over that he's not going to carry a team in the playoffs. He went out of his way to bash the city of Atlanta. Nobody else was really bidding for him. The Hawks give him a max deal anyway. Perfect example of idiot owners.

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

just to be clear: you were being ironic, right? granted, those three are ridiculously overpaid. but not one of them put a gun to the owner's head and demanded against the owner's better judgement. Well, arenas might have.

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for

:D

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Actually no, I'm using it as an example of the owner's rampant stupidity. Read my first post, right above that one. Too many of the owners are morons, and the only way they felt they could get out of the consequences of their idiocy was this lockout. I'm not saying it's justified, just that their motives are pretty evident.

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I really suggest you check out ESPN's NBA Today podcast. Its the only one since May so not hard to find. Really really in-depth. In fact if you want just a primer that's not going to be it, TBH so it may be too deep for you.

It is worth mentioning that there are a fairly significant number of players making the league minimum. Granted, that's still a chunk of change but consider if you're a 25-year old dude who has spent his whole life playing basketball and you have no other discernible skills but aren't elite (which likely describes, you know, every guy making the league minimum) then this is likely never going to pull a paycheck this large again and you're only going to get it for a few years. So yeah, I'd be a little worried if I were them.

7. negusnegas

negusnegas Senior member

8. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Is it to early to start bagging on Kobe and the Lakers?

9. whodini

whodini Senior member

Once we see painted nails pics, then you can start bagging.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

there's been none since june

also nba lockout is over whoooo

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

June...may... what's the difference?

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i was looking for the podcast you mentioned but there has been zero podcasts since june ie no nba today podcasts in november talking about the lockout. that or i'm blind

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

15. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

As I've often stated, I am technologically challenged. And as I've also often stated, the picture does exist. PM your address and I'll mail it to you.

Lakers suck.

Kobe= Barnie Fine.:hide:

Mr. Kardashian's going to Turkey because he is one.

16. jet

jet Senior member

Lakers baby Lakers

17. whodini

whodini Senior member

"Hey hun, you got a letter from some dude in Texas."

"Yeah, don't worry. It's photos of this old dude's painted nails. You'd think he would have learned his lesson by now but he still runs his mouth at a team that routinely beats him, year in and year out. But I guess your mind sort of goes at that age and before you know it, you're rooting for the Spurs."

18. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

The Spurs (as I'm sure you know) had the best record in the league last year. They exited one round sooner than the Lakers, but managed to do so with a little more class than Mr. Kardashian and Andrew Bynum.

And no, the Lakers have won 5 titles to the Spurs' 4. The Spurs have a better regular season winning pct.

They are the two model franchises of the NBA, at least recently.

This year you have Mike Brown and we have Greg Popovich. That oughta be worth 10 more wins for the Spurs right there.

Well at least we both like SC.

19. whodini

whodini Senior member

Which is great because it follows this:
    Of COURSE they managed to do so with a little more class. They're full-fledged veteran choke artists.

If you're really going to talk character and make fun of Odom, do you think we should bring up Parker?
    What well-researched, well-written points you have. Shame you're defending the wrong NBA team.

20. jet

jet Senior member

lol what a clown