• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say neither super insightful or super stupid.

Just another way of putting into numbers the fact that Dirk is reallyfuckinggood.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn, the Clips could have gotten that first pick but they traded it for Mo Williams.
ffffuuuu.gif

And Westbrook is good and all but I would seriously take Harden for the Lakers.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Damn, the Clips could have gotten that first pick but they traded it for Mo Williams.
ffffuuuu.gif

And Westbrook is good and all but I would seriously take Harden for the Lakers.

first of all, the clips traded that first pick to get rid of baron davis' $28 million salary. probably still came out ahead. but i agree about westbrook. can you imagine him and kobe in the same backcourt? young stud ballhog and agingn superstar. it would be kobe/shaq all over again.

Brogued

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
OK. I'm not a fan of distorted, made-up stats to make a point, but bear with me on this one. Heard this on the radio coming in this morning.

Last night Dirk's offensive efficiency was incredible. He was 12-15 from the field (no 3 pointers taken) and 24-24 from the line. 39 shots, 36 made, 3 missed and 48 points. That is 16 points made for each miss. Some guy has put together the 2010-2011 and NBA history stats for points per miss. The results are interesting. I won't reproduce them all, but the blog post is here.

The point is to identify a good scorer from someone who just jacks up shot after shot all night to get his points (I'm looking at you Antawan Jamison).

What the 2010-2011 results showed was that Dirk led the league this year with 2.724 points per miss followed by Paul Pierce, Gasol, Love, Durant and LaBron.

The amazing list to me was the all-time NBA list:

Kareem is first at 2.549, Dirk is 2nd at 2.386, Bird is third at 2.355, Jordan is fourth at 2.342, The Big O is fifth at 2.302, followed by Malone, Kobe, Shaq, Wilt and Iverson. (NOTE: Everyone on this list has 20,000 or more career points).

Interesting insight or stupid made-up stat?

EDIT: Before anyone chimes in with straw men, no one is claiming that Dirk is the 2nd best player in NBA history, that would be stupid. But is he perhaps one of the most underrated when you look at his numbers?

I think these stats are significant. Although, I am a little surprised that Iverson shows up on the list. Little guy had to throw up a lot of shots to get his points. Or, maybe it just seemed that way.

Dirk is a great player, there's no doubt. If he wins a title, I think he gets mentioned with the all-time greats. This might finally be the year, too.

Seems like winning a title is a pre-requisite for greatness. Sad to see Malone not talked about as "greatest power forward of all time."

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
first of all, the clips traded that first pick to get rid of baron davis' $28 million salary.

I don't it would have mattered since they have a pretty big cap space that they were saving up for Lebron and that never materialized so they weren't really hurting money/cap-wise. I would have still preferred if they got another first pick, it'll much cheaper in the long run overall if they can get another big potential star.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently there is along standing rumor that the '85 draft was fixed. The idea is that the envelopes were all put in gently, except one, that was thrown against the side, leaving a bent corner. Stern than grabbed several envelopes with his first draw, looked at them and then held the one he picked up, looking carefully at it again. The rest he never so much as looked at, handing them over his shoulder. I'd never heard of this nor am I an advocate one way or the other. I just thought it was interesting. It's also kinda cool to see the old video and hear them talking about the Ewing era dawing, with no other era in sight. We all know how that worked out. Video of the draft and "evidence" of the fix (the action is around 4:30):
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

fir3fox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
first of all, the clips traded that first pick to get rid of baron davis' $28 million salary. probably still came out ahead

Not if Kyrie Irving turns out to be the stud people think he is.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fir3fox
Not if Kyrie Irving turns out to be the stud people think he is.

He isn't the prospect that Rose, Wall, Paul, Williams, etc... were.

fir3fox

Reaction score
True, but at the very least he's projected to be better than Mo Williams and a salary dump.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I take back everything I said about spoelstra being a fine game planner. Got killed on the boards in game 1 and needing to make an adjustment for game 2? I think I'll deactivate all my 7-footers
ffffuuuu.gif
Killed even further on the boards in the first quarter of game 2? Grabbed just half the boards of your opponent? Let's go small and play James jones at PF! And apparently the personnel are just fine - they just need to try harder. FML

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, why don't they let them play D in the NBA? They call Euro ball soft but near as I can tell the NBA is soft as hell and bails out players early and often. It leads to more scoring but it also slows down the game to a crawl and makes for boring basketball.

fir3fox

Reaction score
Haslem played awesome tonight even though he clearly ran out of gas at the end. I didn't even know he was near ready to come back and play those minutes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads