• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^this there is a write-up too with kobe talking about the off season and what's he's going to be doing, worth a read despite obvious espn bias I also quite enjoy how the heat crushed boston yet the verbiage was very celtic friendly
redface.gif

lasting images/gifs from the 2010-2011 playoff runs of the lakers and celtics... enjoy:
rajon-rondo-elbow.jpg
88fac_rondo576.jpg
rondo-broken-elbow-o.gif
tumblr_lkycy4G4M11qbcvlb.gif
BYNUM_IS_SCUM.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

can you bracket that **** with some spoiler tags? i don't feel like staring at rondo's busted elbow all day.

fir3fox

Reaction score
Its expected, they're a polarizing team like the Yankee's or Cowboys. ESPN love them so they get all the air time whether they're winning or losing. All about the ratings.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

can you bracket that **** with some spoiler tags? i don't feel like staring at rondo's busted elbow all day.

+10000000

Come on!

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 13k
If you look at it you have 2 small market teams and a semi-small in Dallas left in the Western conference. There's not much else to talk about with all the juicy drama the media would like to tear apart in regards to the epic failure that went down in LA.

Dallas/Ft. Worth is the 7th largest media market in the US. I wouldn't call that semi-small (OKC and Memphis are in the mid-40's by contrast).

Point is still conceded though that they don't have the soap opera factor that the Lakers or the Heat have for the media to latch onto.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
+10000000

Come on!

aw its not that bad... he actually came back and played!
ffffuuuu.gif

off all the times rondo was flung around and landed hard... it was a simple fall that resulted in that.

tumblr_lhwc6qCLMD1qgjs8go1_500.jpg

nice%20foul%20marvin.jpg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sexandcandy
I think he meant no Rudy Gay
Yeah my bad on that. Only their best and most clutch player at the time . I forgot
facepalm.gif
I think the best remaining matchup is Miami - OKC. Of the west teams left, only the thunder have a player that viewers from everywhere will tune in to watch. That's a big disservice to Dirk, but it's true. Seems like the only way the Mavs make national news is when their owner makes a spectacle of himself, which I think we all can agree - Mavs employees included - is something we'd rather do without

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
Yeah my bad on that. Only their best and most clutch player at the time . I forgot
facepalm.gif

I think the best remaining matchup is Miami - OKC. Of the west teams left, only the thunder have a player that viewers from everywhere will tune in to watch. That's a big disservice to Dirk, but it's true. Seems like the only way the Mavs make national news is when their owner makes a spectacle of himself, which I think we all can agree - Mavs employees included - is something we'd rather do without

I agree about Cuban, although you should notice that you've not seen a single quote from him during the playoffs. He's been uncharacteristically quiet...so far.

Reaction score
^^Probably correlation to how far they get in the playoffs.

I still want Memphis to beat OKC. Keep the Cinderella dreams alive! Stop passing the ball Westbrook
devil.gif

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PhiloVance
Right, 12 more possessions but Miami still shot 42% from the field to Boston's 49%. Miami also shot 36% from three versus Boston's 46% percent. Did Miami's 12 extra possessions make up that difference? I don't see how because the teams hit the same number of FGs and 3FGs. Tie game. But they won by 10 . . .and they just happened to be +10 from the line in made free throws. That is literally the difference in a 10-point game. What's OBVIOUS is that Miami's 38-20 free throw advantage is a bit much.
Alternative interpretation: you live by the jump shot, you die by the jump shot. Boston didn't have anybody that could create going to the hole, so they didn't get foul calls. Miami does, and did get those calls. I couldn't tell if you were trying to blame the refs or not, but the Celtics haven't been built to get a lot of charity stripe points for the last couple years. *And* their defensive style had a lot of the old school "hack 'em when they go to the basket" business. With Perkins gone, who exactly was going to be blocking shots? Not a big surprise here, that Miami would get a lot of calls and Boston wouldn't.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Goddamnit, been waiting to get next paged so I don't have to see that Rondo pic. Just creeps the **** out of me, reminds me of that Bogut fall from last season.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 13k
^^Probably correlation to how far they get in the playoffs.

I still want Memphis to beat OKC. Keep the Cinderella dreams alive! Stop passing the ball Westbrook
devil.gif

Yeah, I just can't get behind okc for some reason. Anyone else notice how much of a gentleman ZBO is?

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Goddamnit, been waiting to get next paged so I don't have to see that Rondo pic. Just creeps the **** out of me, reminds me of that Bogut fall from last season.

yes. Bamp.

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
Alternative interpretation: you live by the jump shot, you die by the jump shot. Boston didn't have anybody that could create going to the hole, so they didn't get foul calls. Miami does, and did get those calls.

I couldn't tell if you were trying to blame the refs or not, but the Celtics haven't been built to get a lot of charity stripe points for the last couple years. *And* their defensive style had a lot of the old school "hack 'em when they go to the basket" business. With Perkins gone, who exactly was going to be blocking shots? Not a big surprise here, that Miami would get a lot of calls and Boston wouldn't.

When you are older and a step slower, you will pick up more fouls. And as you mention, Boston's biggest problem is the middle. Guys rotate back inside to help and that creates out of position fouls.

With that said, it bugs me how much Lebrat gets away with lowering his head and ramming over people. Now, they let him get away with that in the regular season as well, so it was not the reason the Celts lost. But, what other player is allowed to bulldoze over people like that? I know he is strong but it is silly. Yes, he is strong but he is still guilty of a lot of charges. Lebrat is super talented and actually plays some good defense. Kudos to him for that. I don't think the NBA should be so one sided in letting him get away with offensive foul murder.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I agree about Cuban, although you should notice that you've not seen a single quote from him during the playoffs. He's been uncharacteristically quiet...so far.
And I think it's kept them more focused. I thought I read an article where Dirk was quoted to the effect of him wishing Cuban would just shut the **** up, but now I can't find it. Btw, for all the talk here about blockbuster laker trades, the most important offseason task they have, by far, is to find a coach. I heard Kobe wants Brian Shaw, but do you put in a rook or hire someone like Adelman or JVG?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads