1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. venessian

venessian Senior member

still... if rubio pans out they have a nice nucleus: rubio/love/beasley

+ Derrick Williams perhaps.

2. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

rubio seriously looks puny. nash could beat the sh1t out of him.

3. reezy

reezy Senior member

I don't trust international players in the nba. I watch Bargnani all season long and I'm always disgusted that he cant even avg over 6 boards a game. Rubio does look very puny and who knows...maybe it will work out but I don't have high hopes for him. I do hope Rubio will come to Minny though so they don't have to pick another point guard in front of Toronto [​IMG] NEED Kemba Walker!

4. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

What's the deal with Rubio? His stats from Spain this year are shit. 6 points, 3.5 assists, 31% fg. Bust? [​IMG]

He's injured I think.

5. SupercoolBeez

SupercoolBeez Member

I don't trust international players in the nba. I watch Bargnani all season long and I'm always disgusted that he cant even avg over 6 boards a game. Rubio does look very puny and who knows...maybe it will work out but I don't have high hopes for him. I do hope Rubio will come to Minny though so they don't have to pick another point guard in front of Toronto [​IMG] NEED Kemba Walker!

That opinion on international players should be dead by now, you just can't depend on anybody. For every Darko there's a Kwame Brown. The NBA would be bizarro right now with out internationals, it's rare that a team has won without significant contributions from international players.

The Mavs would've been looking at a top 3 pick without Dirk, JJ and Peja. The Lakers wouldn't have made it past the first round without Pau and The Spurs would've been demoted to the D-League without Timmy, TP and Manu.

6. reezy

reezy Senior member

That opinion on international players should be dead by now, you just can't depend on anybody. For every Darko there's a Kwame Brown. The NBA would be bizarro right now with out internationals, it's rare that a team has won without significant contributions from international players.

The Mavs would've been looking at a top 3 pick without Dirk, JJ and Peja. The Lakers wouldn't have made it past the first round without Pau and The Spurs would've been demoted to the D-League without Timmy, TP and Manu.

True but I'm talking about international players being NBA ready. Not people that have been in the league significantly. I'm not saying they don't contribute. But for people hyping international players like rubio may be disappointed. Dirk is amazing. JJ doesn't really count...i think he went to an American high school and college but he was born overseas (ill check facts later). Peja was aiiite but he hasn't significantly contributed to the Mavs imo. Miss him in the Sacramento King days. Need to discuss this more later. I hope the raptors don't pick Jan Veely (spelling?) even though we are heading for another tanking season. Cleveland is so lucky to get back on track *sigh*.

7. ConcernedParent

Don't understand the hype behind this guy. I think he's going to be a starter for a non-contender or a decent backup at best; not a franchise savior. Hes solid, but only a lottery pick because this draft class blows. He's not a freak athlete like Rose or Wall (or Paul before surgery), not as good of a shooter as Deron, not the kind of playmaker that Rubio is projected to be.

8. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] Why does it look like Cuban is throwing up the Blood gang sign up. lol

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

You're reaching, you could only his index finger? [​IMG] If anything, maybe he's throwing the Young Money sign with Lil Wayne and his crew being there and all. And we all know he's a Crip, always wearing blue and shit.

10. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

You're reaching, you could only his index finger? [​IMG]
    If anything, maybe he's throwing the Young Money sign with Lil Wayne and his crew being there and all.

And we all know he's a Crip, always wearing blue and shit.

LMAO Well Weezy and Co (Birdman atleast) were throwing up Blood signs, I just thought it fun to add Cuban. True tho he stay dipped in dat Blue he must be the triple OG of the Dallas Crip set.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I don't think Duncan really counts.

12. reezy

reezy Senior member

Don't understand the hype behind this guy. I think he's going to be a starter for a non-contender or a decent backup at best; not a franchise savior. Hes solid, but only a lottery pick because this draft class blows. He's not a freak athlete like Rose or Wall (or Paul before surgery), not as good of a shooter as Deron, not the kind of playmaker that Rubio is projected to be.

He got swag and confidence. That's one thing the Raptors lack. We are a soft team. Need a rebuild of character. Heard a lot of good things nonetheless from Walker in all his workouts. Knight apparently has attitude problems. Irving has a Chris Paul type of attitude which is good.

13. venessian

venessian Senior member

Rubio is apparently an incredibly skilled passer, an old-style PG, which is interesting because that moves him away from the current pass-shoot or even shoot-pass PGs.

Of this year's PG picks Irving looks to be great, but both Walker as you said and Fredette have apparently had incredible workouts, with Fredette surprising people even more.

Knight has attitude problems? That's the first I've heard that. All I've heard is "great athlete, great student, great leader, extremely mature".

14. ConcernedParent

He got swag and confidence. That's one thing the Raptors lack. We are a soft team. Need a rebuild of character. Heard a lot of good things nonetheless from Walker in all his workouts. Knight apparently has attitude problems. Irving has a Chris Paul type of attitude which is good.

Like every guard coming into the NBA has swag and confidence- they usually get it beaten out of them right quick their first year.

Jonny Flynn anyone?

15. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

I don't think Duncan really counts.

Considering he went to Wake Forest.

Must be a 'Heel.

16. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

Don't think I've posted here since the end of Fantasy BBall season. Lurked since then though. Nice to see some diverse conversation spring up.

Two NBA related questions.

Since it's the 10 year anniversary of the Kwame Brown debacle - 10 years later who should have gone first overall? My pick is Pau Gasol.

Also I was reading the Washington Post earlier today and an article on LeBron James stated that two Western Conference GMs would still pick LeBron to build a franchise around even after his choke job in the finals. If you could pick any NBA player to build your franchise around who would it be?

17. venessian

venessian Senior member

^
    Interesting questions.

Assuming the Wizards would have drafted another real C then I'd say Chandler, Jason Collins, Haywood or maybe even Diop. Not real great choices though. If they could have lived with a PF/C, obviously Pau hands down.

It's interesting looking at that draft, esp. re: discussions about how this year's draft is weak (that one wasn't real strong either). In hindsight, a lot of overvalued guys; Joe Johnson and Richard Jefferson somewhat undervalued; and Zach Randolph, Gerald Wallace, Tony Parker, Gilbert Arenas, Mehmet Okur quite a bit undervalued.

Build around? Still Kobe imo.

18. reezy

reezy Senior member

I'll pick Tim Duncan in his prime. Great leader, classy, and consistent. But if now...it would be LeBron James for me. Kobe would be my second choice. He's amazing but he's not the easiest for team mates to play with.

19. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I'll pick Tim Duncan in his prime. Great leader, classy, and consistent. But if now...it would be LeBron James for me. Kobe would be my second choice. He's amazing but he's not the easiest for team mates to play with.

I'd go Lebron too, then Wade.

20. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

right now, i would go with derrick rose. great work ethic, coachable, team player. once his jumper is solid he wil be unguardable.