1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

walked into a portland restaurant and russell westbrook and the thunders were just sitting there waiting to get a table

2 people like this.
  2. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Nurkic such a good pickup

1 person likes this.
  4. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

He's good when he's happy

5. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Which restaurant

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Screen Door

Got ignored by Westbrook but Steven Adams and Sabonis was pretty chill. Robes was quiet and I totally forgot Abrines' name. Norris Cole was there too

Kicked their butts tho

7. double00

double00 Senior member

ignored by Westbrook makes the story even better! that ends up being a pretty good NBA-cation. very fun!

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Also watched the warriors clippers game and a friend got us into shoot around! Warriors seemed bored with the game until the third quarter and then were done by the fourth. Then next game we lost and we lost KD and also lost the next next game.

Yeah so overall great NBA-cation

9. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

"we"

1 person likes this.
  10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Bravo.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

"we believe"

even blazers call their fans their sixth player

i dont see what's so incorrect about using we. would you feel better if i used they?

12. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Nothing about it is "incorrect." The spine tingling cringe I'm experiencing is no mere pedantry; it is visceral, existential.

(Oh, and "We believe" is one thing; "we won" or "we're playing" is another.)

2 people like this.
  13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I honestly don't care whether or not you experience a spine tingling cringe

1 person likes this.
  14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I guess you'd rather be moved by the fantasy that you belong to something rather than the reality that you're a stooge of marketing. A sense of belonging is great way to separate marks from their cash.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Yup that's exactly it. I'm ok with paying money for tickets and occasional merchandise or eyeballs for games on TV. If that means I'm a mark then that's fine with me.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  16. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

What an odd thing to get upset about. Isn't that the whole point of sports fandom? To belong to a community? Whenever the home team is doing well or in the playoffs, there's a buzz around town that's hard to describe. When you go out, people everywhere are in jerseys and hats and t-shirts. You can set aside whatever differences that normally segregate a city and talk to anyone repping the team. At a bar, on the bus, on the street.

1 person likes this.
  17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Sports fandom is a marketing exercise. It's a business that feeds you the idea of belonging so they can take your money. They don't give the slightest shit about you.

I watch games for the appreciation of the game and quality of play. It's why I can't sit thru a Sixers or Lakers game, which a fan can. Unless it's at a high level, it's not worth my time.

I don't necessarily have enough differences with people to warrant putting them aside in common cause over some sports team. Other than a small minority, basically people are equally stupid, so I view them all about the same way.

The idea that I walk into a restaurant and see some pro players and start ogling over them is alien to me. I would probably notice how much they do or don't look like they do on TV and maybe tell a couple of friends who I saw. I don't understand the obsession with celebrity.

18. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

False. Maybe for your teams. But if you like a small market team, or a high school/college/local team, it's more about the fans and the experience.

19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Iunno man. I thought I was a strong masculine alpha male like yourself who never ogled at celebrities and I turned into a blubbering idiot. I watch these guys play everyday in some form or other and it was surreal seeing then in real life. We left them alone except for a picture with Sabonis and Adams. They were pretty chill about it.

Why can't I enjoy feeling part of the collective as well as enjoying quality basketball? I don't understand why you think these things are mutual exclusive

20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

An opinion can't be false. I think you mean disagree.

I didn't mean to imply you did that, even though it does come across that way. I just imaged what some fanboys do in that situation and couldn't see myself yelling "Westbrook!! Fuck Durant!" or making him sign a $5 bill.