1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Vivek is clearly a cuck.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. dcg

dcg Senior member

3. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Vivek is a ghoul and a drooling moron

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

It looks like a genie bus grew some balls and canned her brother. Maybe the Lakers were better again. High draft pick and proper front office.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kupchak and Buss will be great pick-ups for the Knicks. I hope Dolan is watching.

1 person likes this.
  7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Hiring Magic Johnson? Seems like a shit move. Magic is not an executive.

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Seemed to work out OK for the Dodgers. And while Magic doesn't have a super deep resume as an NBA executive, he's definitely been an executive for much of the past several decades. I haven't closely followed the off-the-field part of the Dodgers stuff aside from celebrating McCourt's departure, but the on-the-field product has definitely improved since Magic got involved. I'm sure he's less of a nuts-and-bolts baseball guy than, say, Theo Epstein, but perhaps that's not what's required of him in the Dodgers role or the Lakers role.
    It's entirely possible that he was hired in part to give a fresh public face to the organization, which Jeannie Buss and whoever she listens to calling the ultimate shots. Even if we assume that, it seems like a defensible hire. The Lakers are a business that need to court the support of the public. Hard to do better than Magic for that, at least here in LA.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

There is no evidence that Magic had anything to do with this baseball uptick. It's good PR, as you point out, having his face on the organization.

In terms of deeper decisions making, I doubt he'll have any role.

12. venividivicibj

^ so then what does it matter?

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Well, I guess I'm not a fan of placing figureheads in what should be a substantive role. It's a shit business practice for many reasons. And more reason to believe that current ownership isn't up to the job.

14. venividivicibj

There isnt a rule saying the lakers can only hire X number of people, so if they hire Magic they can still hire others who will handle those decisions. I dont see how there is a downside at all.

Get rid of old GM and Pres who werent doing well --> positive
    Add Magic Johnson (good for fan base, and has done well in same pos with Dodgers)--> positive

Where is the drawback?

15. double00

double00 Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Well, I guess. Generally speaking, when new management is brought in and the organization starts performing better under their leadership, I think that's usually considered at least some evidence that the new management is doing a better job than the old management (admittedly a low bar in the case of the McCourt --->noMcCourt Dodgers). It could be coincidental, of course, just as with almost any organization. But that's always the case, since as outsiders we have limited access to information. But by the same token, there's no evidence that if LBJ hadn't been on Cleveland last year somebody else wouldn't have stepped up and they wouldn't still have won the championship.

17. venividivicibj

You're the puppet!

1 person likes this.
  18. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

You're a towel.

Re:Earvin - addition by subtraction

19. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Kupchak was good. Didn't think anyone could fill Jerry West's shoes but he did an admirable job. Short Buss was a joke and should have been gone long ago.

Magic and Mitch could have made a good team but I suspect Magic was only interested in the job if he could have total control.