1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Precisely. Also Scola, Nene, Amare, Josh Smith, Kmart, Prince, Andre Miller.

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

may i point out that i called this scenario 6 hours ago? eat shit, Chris Broussard! :p

now we're talking - West has to take almost starter's minutes and possibly start at center. but he's exactly the kind of player they need.

1 person likes this.
  4. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Neither West nor Pachulia is a rim protector, and Bogut's passing will be sorely missed.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Nah, West isn't going to play much center position, he'd be Green/Durants back-up.

But the Dubs phone are ringing non-stop now from all the veterans looking to join the team.

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

he's the best they can hope for. there aren't any halfway decent inside presences that can be had for the league minimum. unless they can con Roy Hibbert (and he stops sucking). they're going to start taking desperate yet low-risk, low-cost gambles just like the Heat did - i mentioned earlier that even Eddy Curry got a contract from the :facepalm:

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I think Pachulia is more than enough in the center to be honest, they'll just run Green at the center and Durant in the pf more.

Varejao might be signed for cheap too so those are two good enough centers.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Only if judged via head size.

Hadn't seen it, and it's mildly irritating. David West is nothing if not determined.

Edit:

SA... letting go of Diaw, I don't know. They were a better team with Splitter as well. Seems like a mistake to me.

Also, don't understand the Gasol negativity. He's a perfect guy for that team. What are you going to challenge the Warriors with? Like for like?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  9. wojt

wojt Senior member

Gasol will be there to replace Duncan, he has more left in the tank than Timmy
    good move by Spurs

10. kissmyjazz

kissmyjazz Senior member

I think Gasol is a decent option but no way can he replace Timmy. Timmy was so good as a rim protector even the last season and Gasol is below average defensively. His offensive game positioning overlaps with that of LMA, so to make them two work smoothly together is not a small feat for the coaching stuff. David West bailed out already knowing that Gasol is coming, so he clearly thinks that Spurs have worse chances of winning than the last season. Good decision btw of David West to join Warriors. Losing both him and Diaw, also likely Timmy, in the same year is not ideal by any measure. All the hope is on Boban's quick development now, unless they find someone else for cheap.

11. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

No he's not. He can't play anything but iso-ball and clank mid-range jump shots. Dude doesn't even rebound.

2 people like this.
  12. wojt

wojt Senior member

Gasol has been better than Duncan for sometime now, also defensively. And he can play low post and is great passer, perhaps better than Duncan even. It is an upgrade.

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

This. IIRC they were almost equal in BPG last season, and Pau's scoring and rebounding averages were significantly better too.

Spurs need more reliable 3 pt. shooting. Hopefully Chip's working with them all as we speak.

14. jet

jet Senior member

Gasol is overrated, du is just too soft.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

gasol better than duncan defensively? seems like you're watching box scores or playing fantasy instead of watching games

west is as good as bogut in passing and zaza is as good at defensive rebounds, if they could only combine them into one super center

what do you mean. they weren't able to get gasol unless they let diaw go and seeing as how they play similar positions...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  16. wojt

wojt Senior member

I watch a lot of them, seems to me it seems you stopped watching Duncan in 2011
    Don't get me wrong he is still good player but Gasol last 2 seasons is where at level of 2010-2011 Duncan

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Maybe I'm missing something on how these cap rules operate, but can't they just take a tax hit? We're talking about an 8m salary. And if Duncan retires wouldn't that help? I'll miss Diaw on that team.

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

So was he washed up in San Antonio? Because Pacers David West was a good player (but not much of a shot blocker, I concede).

Or did he just not get a lot of minutes behind TD, LMA and Kawhi?

His per-36's in SA are something like 14/6, with more than a steal and a block a game, plus almost 4 (!!) apg. That's more than solid. And he shot .545 so he was taking smart shots and not clanking much. That apg will be gold in GSW's system, and he'll get all the open midrange shots he wants. Kerr will be thrilled if he takes less shots and focuses on rebounding

19. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

I think Gasol is more like a taller version of David West. So I think it's fine West is resigning elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
  20. wojt

wojt Senior member

*better version of David West