1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. diadem

diadem Senior member

I can't think of a more deserving player to win a championship than JR Smith.

4 people like this.
  2. double00

double00 Senior member

they could've easily given that finals mvp to kyrie. he was a monster all series and that 3 in steph's face was the decisive moment in the finale.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Not even close. Lebron owned this series. He made Kyrie's games possible. Lest we not forget Drayond... a guy that tells another bench to take a TO better win that chip... oops sorry.

1 person likes this.
  4. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

I wonder what happens to Ezeli and Barnes this offseason. They were both looking at pretty big contracts not too long ago.

And does the small ball craze die now?

5. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

So turning point of the series was Draymond dick tapping Lebron... Woke up the giant after that.

1 person likes this.
  6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Small ball lasted but 1 year? :lol:

Ezeli wasn't going to get a huge contract to me, dude had one good series and it just in flashes, he was getting the ball ripped out of his hands by Love :facepalm:

Barnes is going to be affected just because he had such huge games there then all of a sudden disappeared.

Lakers was interested in him but now looks like they might be overpaying for him now.

1 person likes this.
  7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

super proud of my boys for all the great games they had this year and work they put in. sad that it came down to this, but we'll get another ring next year

happy for cleveland. it felt awesome last year. can barely imagine what it's like to be in cleveland right now. must feel pretty damn good. happy for love and JR and richard jefferson. finally get one. love and JR especially played defense like their asses were on fire

i hope barnes and ezeli tanked their value enough that we can resign them and then all of a sudden they ball their balls out

kinda sad basketball is over but also glad that i have more free time now. ball is life.

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Ya the one that didn't even happen until pant load Windhorst lobbies LeDoosh after the game? Please….

What a fucking joke

How high could you possibly be? It's not even a consideration.

9. jet

jet Senior member

Bro you're talking about the forum idiot come on.

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

It's been a while … I haven't been around recently.
    His level of intoxication is relevant to the number of times I say "wtf u talkin' 'bout Willis?"

Okay.. that's one.

11. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Credit to LBJ but this in no way puts him in consideration for best player ever. Definitely an all-time great though but that was never up for debate even if he lost this finals.

12. globobock

globobock Senior member

Since we are in Styleforum - what you guys think about Tyronn Lue' Suit? I usually don't like the karo-style, but it wasn't that bad on him.

ABout basketball... well, apparently, since I predicted a fast killing of the Cavs, I know nothing about basketball. But seriously, what the heck happened to the Dubs? They unraveled.

Yes, LBJ played some of the biggest Finals performance in History and legitimately put himself into the discussion of GOAT, best 5 of all time at least, but again, what happened to the dubs?

Turn overs.
    Missing open looks.
    Panic on defense.

My only explanation is that, well, they are still on their mental development process of being a champion. Usually, a real champ has to go trough real, painful heartbreaks before becoming THE CHAMP (see: MJ, SA, Dirk, Rocky Balboa, Red Sox, , the German Footballteam, Durant Thunders hohoho, etc.). Some teams manage to beat the odds but are mostly one hit wonders.

Those heartbreaks form them, mold them into warriors and make them lose their playful innocence.

The Dubs have some kind of reverse process - they become champions almost without real challenge and kept their joyful innocence into this year.

I doubt that Steph will makes the same stupid TOs again in the future if the 'Ship is on stake.

But then, I know nothing about basketball.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

He carried a team of yokels on his back from a 3-1 finals deficit to beat the team that just set the record for most wins ever in a season, and then wins G7 with a triple double. Kind of equates to beating the '96 Bulls. This on the back of 6 or 7 finals appearances in a row, and now a 3rd championship, and with the potential of few years left in the tank.

I've never been a Lebron fan personally, but what we saw him do was historic. Other than the fact that Jordan has won more chips, what exactly sets them apart to such a gulf to warrant it not even being a consideration?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    2 people like this.
  14. Neo_Version 7

You pretty much answered your question already.

But in all seriousness, 6 out of 6 out of 6 for MJ. Bulls never went to a Game 7 in the finals. Never faced elimination.

LBJ is great. Still consider him the greatest player active right now (I never gave Steph that distinction despite back-to-back MVPs). And who is to say LBJ cannot eventually top MJ GOAT. But with a losing Finals record, he's still the Maid of Honour at best.

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Im curious how people will remember the 73 wins. If they had lost to OKC it definitely would have been a footnote.

You know I am a LeBron homer but...

None of these arguments are reflections of LeBron qua individual player. They are a reflection of the Bulls as a team and the rest of the league as a whole. And I don't know about you but when I want to evaluate a player, I choose to, you know, evaluate them as individual players not as a team.

Meh. What's Jerry West's playoff record? Or Charles Barkley's? The playoff stats are quickly forgotten.

1 person likes this.
  16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

As mentioned a moment ago, that's a team argument, not a Jordan argument. A final record fails to make a case, or you'd be arguing for Bill Russell.

1 person likes this.
  17. Neo_Version 7

Clearly, the "more RINGS = better player" defense is faulty, to say the least. And FYI, I wouldn't be heralding Bill Russell. I would be championing Robert Horry because all basketball before the year I was born doesn't count, everyone knows that.

So, the argument is "Best Player Ever". Like I said earlier, LBJ is an all-time great but doesn't top MJ (he easily tops Kobe though, sorry Jet). Both LeBron and MJ are/were excellent athletes, smart, carried teams, and did it for a long period of time.

Let's flip the script. If the Cavs ended up losing last night, would you honestly still be arguing him for "greatest player ever"? At what point does the "that's a team argument" end and the "that's an individual argument" begin? I'm genuinely curious.

1 person likes this.
  18. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

They are very different players. Lebron was the better orchestrator and better passer, MJ the better scorer/shooter. Lebron has always played the game like a PG, controlling tempo and making the right play. MJ (in his prime) was an attack dog/bully. He tried to kill you on every possession. Think Russell Westbrook with better efficiency. I feel the biggest difference is that he had the most success playing the hero ball style on the biggest of stages. Look at how many times he came through at the end of games to win. He defined clutch play. The 6 chips and finals mvps just adds to the legacy. I actually think Lebron is a more gifted athlete than MJ, but he's always had a somewhat broken jump shot that would fail him, especially at the free throw line. He wasn't as dependable in the endgame as MJ. I believe that's why most still pick MJ as the GOAT.

I can also see Lebron as the ultimate combination of Jordan/Pippen, mixing both their best and worst attributes.

Kobe was basically a clone of MJ, just not as efficient. He can never be the GOAT since MJ came first.

2 people like this.
  19. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Anointing an individual GOAT in a team sport is an inherently impossible venture, given the difficulty in comparing players across positions and across generations. That said, LeBron is, without a doubt, in the All-Time Starting Five. If you had a very large sum of money riding on the outcome of a basketball game, are there two forwards in NBA history who you would pick over LeBron? No, unless you're a blind hater. What sets LeBron apart is his ability to affect a game with his rebounding, passing, and defense when his shooting is off, as it was last night. Everyone is going to remember Kyrie's step-back dagger three at the end of the game last night, but that shot may have been a footnote to the Warriors' back-to-back championships without LeBron's amazing chase-down block of Iggy's layup attempt.

20. globobock

globobock Senior member

Yep.

One of the greatest of all time.

And I still don't like the way he treated his former coach, Blatt.
    Oh, BTW, I still hate the Cavs hero-ball antics.

Shoulda, woulda, I know - but the dubs are still the better team. Had they play to their abilities (as in making wide open shots) the Cavs would have been toast.
    The Cavs won because the universe had mercy upon them. But their style of play is not sustainable.

...not that the good people in North-East Ohio will care...