1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

FTFY

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

3. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

When living in the past is all you've got . . .

1 person likes this.
  4. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Hehe "good name"

5. jet

jet Senior member

Haha love this, tons of good memes on instagram. I never got the whole living in the past or the past doesn't mean anything comments, I always see clippers fans perpetuating that as if banners and championships don't mean anything, the franchise doesn't mean anything and today is the only thing that matters while yesterday is quickly forgotten. I always picture some newly minted clippers fan who's 15 years old and doesn't know the franchise is the worst in history posting this fallacy. It's funny how warriors were always garbage and have been garbage just like the clippers and have only up to recently enjoyed some success so that now all of a sudden the fans are cocky as fuck when they were on the verge of tears last week. On the one hand the whole #dubnation movement needs to die as well as the entire bandwagon with it then again it would be great for Lebron to suffer another finals loss and shut all the lebron dickriders up as well. I can't say for certain which is the lesser of the two evils here.

1 person likes this.
  6. kissmyjazz

kissmyjazz Senior member

Jet, what would you say when Lebron comes to play for Lakers? Also history matters if there is continuity, inheritance from the the past to the present and into the future, which you can clearly see in teams like Spurs for last 20 years or in Dallas or in Heat transitioning from the Lebron era into present. In the case of Lakers there is nothing of the sorts. The team is pure garbage now and there is no championship DNA left in its bloodline. The whole franchise needs to be completely rebuild to become great again.

2 people like this.
  7. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

The Lakers had it pretty good, winning 5 championships in only 11 years (2000-2010). That is pretty impressive since it was so recent, and since the first 3 had very different rosters than the last 2. Oddly enough they must've been even better in the 80s when they took only 9 years to win 5 championships (1980-1988)

The Spurs took 16 years to win the same amount (1999-2014). If you remove the fifth one, then it took only 9 years to win 4 (1999-2007). I guess the impressive part here is that Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker were always Spurs when you consider the 7 year gap between #4 and #5.

Interestingly enough, there is almost always some sort of dynasty (or team that wins a bunch of rings within the given timespan) in the NBA. Not sure what all the factors are that contribute to this are, but it's possible that the Warriors (or some other team, perhaps the Cavs or Thunder) could be the next one with the Spurs getting old and LeBron leaving the Heat.

2000-2010: Lakers win 5 in 11 years
    1999-2014: Spurs win 5 in 16 years
    1991-1998: Bulls win 6 in 8 years
    1980-1988: Lakers win 5 in 9 years
    1974-1986: Celtics win 5 in 13 years
    1957-1969: Celtics win 11 in 13 years
    1950-1954: Lakers win 4 in 5 years

In addition to the above, there are of course a few teams that won 2-3 rings in a short timespan too that fill in some of the gaps. The Warriors, Cavs, or Thunder might even turn out to be one of these.

2006-2013: Heat win 3 in 8 years
    1994-1995: Rockets win 2 in 2 years
    1989-1990: Pistons win 2 in 2 years
    1970-1973: Knicks win 2 in 4 years

1 person likes this.
  8. jet

jet Senior member

No my friend championships always matter, banners hang forever. Lmao @ bringing up spurs and dallas as examples of the opposite in the most recent 15 years.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  9. kissmyjazz

kissmyjazz Senior member

Banners don't win games. You like to ridicule people but because you cannot even express yourself clearly at least half of the time it is not clear what do you try to say and where does the ridicule lie.
    Dallas is consistently making the play-offs year after year having pretty mediocre roster of players. This is a tangible achievement. How is the Lakers banner from 1950s helping them in year 2016?

10. jet

jet Senior member

I don't even know what you're arguing, now it's something different you just sound butthurt.

11. kissmyjazz

kissmyjazz Senior member

Ok then.

12. jet

jet Senior member

Me: History matters.

You: Banners don't win championships.

I believe this is what they call a strawman unless I'm mistaken.

Gotta go to work no time for this nonsense.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

On Saturday? Don't forget your nametag.

1 person likes this.
  14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Because punching a 9-5 clock is what defines a professional job?

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Don't forget the 37 pieces of flair

1 person likes this.
  16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

More not punching a clock.

17. jet

jet Senior member

Exactly, says the guy who resells ties on a clothing forum lmao.

I used to live the miserable corporate life, now I smoke aged cuban cigars and drink craft beer while working.

Again, we'll be using all the banners to dry our tears.

18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

The best income is earned while sleeping. Thanks for the free advertising.

You work at a liquor store.

19. jet

jet Senior member

This is fun, keep guessing Jeffrey.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  20. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Get a room.

1 person likes this.