• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Drummond is an absolutely ****** free-throw shooter...like, worse than Shaq. That's one of the most glaring weaknesses in his game and one of the easiest to fix. I don't understand why big men don't work on their FT shooting more...

also consider the # of Fts they take. drummond is a low volume ft shooter. griffin on the other hand can really hurt his team if he starts missing them. didnt he improve significantly?

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

also consider the # of Fts they take. drummond is a low volume ft shooter. griffin on the other hand can really hurt his team if he starts missing them. didnt he improve significantly?

blake's always been a high-volume guy but oddly he declined after his rookie year from 64.2% to 52.1%. since then he's improved consistently, to 66% to 71.% to 73.8% this year. i don't know what it means that he dipped so far down but it's interesting. fwiw he shot 59% in college.

contrast that to drummond who shot 30% in college and 37% as a rookie (to 42% to 47% this year) and deandre who shot 44% in college and 38.5% as a rookie...it's a pretty giant difference.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

you guys keep talkin bout ft% like it's so easy to fix and there just isn't very much evidence to support that. if, like ed, you're only talking about them trying underhand shots, that might or might not work, but otherwise it's not something that people can generally just improve on w/ practice.

These are supposedly the only players who have had a 10% increase in history (via):

Plus they obviously do work on it, all the time (http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...eandre-jordan-free-throws-20141016-story.html), but that doesn't always manifest on the court. It's obviously a mental thing as well. Remember when the Lakers showed practice ft% and Dwight hit >80%?
The best part about this is Hardaway yelling at one of the great small forward rebounders to grab a rebound when his 6'6 (Phil says he's 6'8) body is basically allergic to them himself.

that box comparing ft% is wonky. i dont understand how they determined to measure columns "1st of years" and "last # of yrs". some players like ron seikaly (ive lost my virginity since i last heard of Ronny) are measured 1, 18 respectively, while tyson is measured 8, 5 odd.

what really strikes me is the inconsistency in ft % from year to year compared to FG%. weve talked about duncan before

and here are griffins numbers

and drummonds including this year so far

drummonds % are **** but he just doesnt shoot enough of them. shaq on the other hand could have been averaging 3-4 points more a game over the course of his career if he could get it up to 68%

Last edited:

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: I meant that in relation to other aspects of the game, free-throw shooting is easier to improve upon, which might not seem to be the case once I've looked at the numbers... I'm not going to argue with the stats, but that's just mind-boggling that FT% is so hard to improve. You're literally stepping up to the line and performing the same motion over and over. Logic would dictate that it becomes muscle memory after a certain point. These guys must be mentally ******** their pants whenever they get to the line or something...Whatever, I stand corrected...

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i don't want to go through the numbers myself (bleh) but it looks like they broke each player's careers into two phases to show the disparity btwn ft% in the 1st part and the 2nd part. that would seem to cherrypick to show bigger improvements more than consistent gradual improvement. but either way only several players have been shown to be able to increase their % from poor to good, and nobody from even close to the depths of drummond or deandre.

bottom line: i don't think it's fair to say that they could become acceptable (65 and up) shooters if they just worked hard at it. i think w/ hard work it's possible they get good at it, but very unlikely, and you need a lot of luck in addition to that practice.

I meant that in relation to other aspects of the game, free-throw shooting is easier to improve upon, which might not seem to be the case once I've looked at the numbers...

I'm not going to argue with the stats, but that's just mind-boggling that FT% is so hard to improve. You're literally stepping up to the line and performing the same motion over and over. Logic would dictate that it becomes muscle memory after a certain point. These guys must be mentally ******** their pants whenever they get to the line or something...Whatever, I stand corrected...

yea i agree w/ this. intuitively it makes sense to me that bigger guys w/ bigger hands would be worse at it, but that wouldn't explain like a 20-30% decrease in ft performance in games (extrapolating from dwight). i think the avg player drops like 10% or so though; i guess it's just that much in their heads.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mitch's comments on "buy your tickets now" sound like this contract will be Kobe's last. Can anyone argue with Magic that the Lakers really shouldn't be winning these games such as last night's over the Kings?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Mitch's comments on "buy your tickets now" sound like this contract will be Kobe's last. Can anyone argue with Magic that the Lakers really shouldn't be winning these games such as last night's over the Kings?

I don't know, what does that even mean? It's not so unusual that a regular season NBA game ends up seeming like episode of ****** and Shittier. If by they "shouldn't" have won Magic means that the Lakers suck and will lose more games than they'll win playing at that level, then fine. But last time I checked the team with the most points -- or the not-least points -- gets the win. It's as meaningless a statement as saying both teams "should" have won a well-played, hard-fought, double overtime win. Nice sentiment, but that's not how it works. Part of what makes it interesting is that both teams can play wonderfully, or both can play like utter ****, and there's still going to be a winner and a loser.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't flesh out entirely what I meant but Mitch apparently suggested fans "get their tickets now" to see Kobe play and apparently affirmed or at least strongly suggested that he won't be coming back to the Lakers after next year. So basically, if they keep pulling out wins like this (given we all agree this season is already a loss and ostensibly over before it began) doesn't each win take them one step further from a better draft pick? Why battle to end up in the middle of the pack? idk, just wondering what Mitch's somewhat elliptical statement means and what's in Kobe's future.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I didn't flesh out entirely what I meant but Mitch apparently suggested fans "get their tickets now" to see Kobe play and apparently affirmed or at least strongly suggested that he won't be coming back to the Lakers after next year. So basically, if they keep pulling out wins like this (given we all agree this season is already a loss and ostensibly over before it began) doesn't each win take them one step further from a better draft pick? Why battle to end up in the middle of the pack? idk, just wondering what Mitch's somewhat elliptical statement means and what's in Kobe's future.

Ah, makes sense. I was just interpreting the "shouldn't" comment in the sense of not "deserving" to win.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

The good old days

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't know ... i think the whole "tanking" thing is mostly another ginned-up controversy from the fans. granted, when you're having a really ****** season and the other team gets a lead, it's easy to let up. but the idea that teams go out intentionally to lose, i think, is wrong. every good athlete i've ever known has been crazy competitive. Even if winning the game isn't the goal, beating the guy opposite them is. I don't think they can turn that on and off at will.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My goodness… the Warriors are 19-2.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Curry is on some NBA 2k15 cheat code ish. their offense is so fun to watch and their defense makes me feel bad for the other team. also draymond green should start even with dlee back

drummonds % are **** but he just doesnt shoot enough of them. shaq on the other hand could have been averaging 3-4 points more a game over the course of his career if he could get it up to 68%

one of the biggest reasons drummond doesnt shoot many free throws is because i dont think they use him much in the fourth quarter. josh smith and greg monroe aren't great FT shooters themselves, but they're better than drummond

i dont think its about the number of free throws you shoot, but the quality of free throws. if you have bad mechanics repeating the bad mechanics isnt going to help

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads