1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. wojt

wojt Senior member

wow at Hornets Heat game6, maybe best game of the season I was at the edge of my seat the whole 2nd half.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Give us another optimistic opinion on Lin.

3. wojt

wojt Senior member

when we talked in 2014 here IIRC the consensus was he should prove himself before getting max, and then in 2015 that he should get max since FA market was poor and cap was going to be raised. And that's what most people here thought and they have proven to be correct.

Lol omer asik, Leonard is now Pippen or Worthy 2.0, he's an all-star. There's no doubt Spurs made the right choice.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Is anyone reading Boys Among Men by Jonathan Abrams?

It's about the HS to pros leap in the NBA, basically a chronicle of various histories, dynamics behind the scenes, and some obscure but interesting interviews. It's written at about 8th grade level (to be kind), but otherwise there are some interesting tidbits and it's eye opening to follow some rags-to-riches stories in more detail.

SA seems unbeatable.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Grats to the heats. Great series

Klay be beastin. Dude could be a superstar on any team without one already

2 people like this.
  6. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Warriors played well but gave up runs to the Blazers bench. Blazers might take a game or two. Dubs have a bad habit of letting up on intensity (see the one Rockets win).

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Umh. Such mastery of the self-evident.

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

He didn't make the high school to pro jump, but the title of the book reminds me of Shaquille Oneal, who I saw play at San Antonio Cole High School, a relatively small high school and therefore less competition. He was never scrawny like many seven foot tall teenagers are. I attended every basketball game in the Texas State High School Tournament from 1981 to 1998 and never saw someone like him play.

1 person likes this.
  9. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Offense from both Pacers and Raptors is rather boring to watch.

1 person likes this.
  10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

The 4th quarter is like watching a Jr High game. Especially Toronto. This team will never win a chip.

The endless stoppages and commercials compounds the crap on display. It took 30 minutes to play the last 4 minutes.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

RAPS!!!

sucked but finally made it to the promise land

12. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

The Second Round??

1 person likes this.
  13. globobock

globobock Senior member

This is the best place to discuss about the NBA right now :D

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  15. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

For this team? Yes.

2 people like this.
  16. wojt

wojt Senior member

Paul George choked in the 4th quarter

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Eh, I don't know I'd go that far. Poor choice with 20-20 hindsight to draw the offensive foul going to the basket when he had an open trailer, but it happens. It's not like he could count on anyone else to get it done. And that was actually a pretty nice alley-oop he threw for Mahinmi.
    The reaction to the non-call on that play was interesting. I agree with all the commentators that it was a pretty obvious foul and a blown call. That said, I'm sure that had they called it there'd be a contingent of people screaming that that the refs are supposed to swallow their whistles and ensure that it's the players and not the officials who control the outcome. (That's assuming, of course, that the foul is called Mahinmi makes the free throws and Indy goes on to win. IIRC, they'd still be down a point even if he made both free throws.)

18. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I think the whole 'refs shouldnt call a foul at the end of the game' is stupid.

If you don't want refs to "control" the outcome (they arent controlling shit with one call, the game has been going on for 40+ minutes, and a call in the first means the same as a call in the fourth), then you shouldnt let the other team get so close that a call would matter.

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Oh, I totally agree. But it's a persistent refrain.

The obvious exception would be technicals (or ejections in baseball) where the offending behavior is borderline. The refs obviously have to maintain control and enforce standards, but I think that in crunchtime officials should be extra mindful that they're imposing those sorts of non-play penalties for truly disruptive or over-the-line conduct and not just protecting their own egos.

Well, and soccer. But soccer officials should just fuck off generally.

20. wojt

wojt Senior member

non call on Manhimi was clearly a foul no doubt and should have been called
    still his decision to throw that pass instead of taking the shot is questionable

but most importantly, his offense on the drive was really uncalled, before i saw that i thought that's gonna be easy 2+1 for him, he was in great position there was no need to do such blatant push off on Derozan. Second was when he lost the ball out of bounds in critical moment. both TOs came in critcal moment and were hardly forced by defense.