• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i saw those strat-o-matics at a sports memorabilia store once...is it like a statistical simulation on paper, or like the dinosaur version of fantasy baseball? it's hard to tell

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

i saw those strat-o-matics at a sports memorabilia store once...is it like a statistical simulation on paper, or like the dinosaur version of fantasy baseball? it's hard to tell

More the former.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just not as grown as you. :fence: Apple II was middle school-ish.

I also had this lame football game (I thought it was cool then) where you had transparencies with offensive and defensive plays diagrammed with X's and O's. Each player chose his play, and you'd lay the two transparencies on top of a light box thing (like a cheapo-version of the base of an old overhead projector). I think where the ball carrier's dotted line crossed a defender's dotted line determined how many yards were gained on the play.

Of course, the fact that we had to keep pouring kerosene into the projector to keep the lamp burning made it pain ********** to play.

wasn't that called the lite-o-lier or something like that? yup, had that one, too. and, of course

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and look what i found!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

wasn't that called the lite-o-lier or something like that? yup, had that one, too. and, of course

That sounds right. And +1 on electric football. Remember how before Edison we had to play it like this?

Last edited:

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not even sure what that means. Kobe's going to lose because he's on a ****** team, not because he's on the wrong side of a battle between advanced stats dudes and traditionalists (That's a hilariously false, or at least exaggerated, dichotomy anyway. But those sorts of constructs can be enjoyable as long as you place yourself among the ranks of the enlightened knights of modernism). Probably true of Carmelo, too, but I haven't paid attention to the Knicks.

They're clearly connected. Kobe wants to play in a 90's era offense where he can ISO while everyone else watches and the Lakers theoretically built a team with that in mind. You think Kobe wants to win? No, he wants to be Kobe first and win second. Winning his way is his dream. Teams that ignore advanced stats will get victimized. The Lakers will not maximize their ****** talent - they'll exacerbate it with their style of play. You can pretty much guarantee that. Would it have mattered? Probably not. That was never going to be a playoff team in the West as constituted but at least they could have groomed some players for later success. As a Warriors fan, I look forward to hearing Kobe and his cabal call anyone who doesn't want to play with him his way a loser.

You are right it probably wasn't fair for me to call people who ignore advanced stats traditionalists. The real traditionalists out there espouse offenses that actually were pretty efficient before the 3 point line and I think if you got rid of the three point line you'd probably see a return to the type of basketball people were playing in the 60's and 70's. The 3 point shot has changed the game for better or for worse and if you don't take advantage of it, you're going to lose.

We will see how much Carmelo wants to win and how well he operates in a triangle offense. I don't think NY is institutionally hostile to modern basketball the way the Lakers are, but Carmelo is used to doing things a certain way and will need to adjust his game.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn, where's Steve at to tell ya'll about his chariot races?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** you guys, i remember when we used to play on peach baskets nailed to a pole (that's why they call it basket-ball, uh huh)

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bball was invented by Canadians. pause

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're clearly connected. Kobe wants to play in a 90's era offense where he can ISO while everyone else watches and the Lakers theoretically built a team with that in mind. You think Kobe wants to win? No, he wants to be Kobe first and win second. Winning his way is his dream. Teams that ignore advanced stats will get victimized. The Lakers will not maximize their ****** talent - they'll exacerbate it with their style of play. You can pretty much guarantee that. Would it have mattered? Probably not. That was never going to be a playoff team in the West as constituted but at least they could have groomed some players for later success. As a Warriors fan, I look forward to hearing Kobe and his cabal call anyone who doesn't want to play with him his way a loser.

You are right it probably wasn't fair for me to call people who ignore advanced stats traditionalists. The real traditionalists out there espouse offenses that actually were pretty efficient before the 3 point line and I think if you got rid of the three point line you'd probably see a return to the type of basketball people were playing in the 60's and 70's. The 3 point shot has changed the game for better or for worse and if you don't take advantage of it, you're going to lose.

We will see how much Carmelo wants to win and how well he operates in a triangle offense. I don't think NY is institutionally hostile to modern basketball the way the Lakers are, but Carmelo is used to doing things a certain way and will need to adjust his game.

i realize it's pointless arguing with a kobe-hater. but i am going to point out that when he has a supporting cast, he shares the ball. when he has robert sacre, wesley johnson and carlos boozer, he's a lot more likely to jack up more shots.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

**** you guys, i remember when we used to play on peach baskets nailed to a pole (that's why they call it basket-ball, uh huh)

What are you.. like 100 years old?

Bulls/Cavs in OT.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rose lasted all but two games....

9qQiFLx.gif

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Kobe supposedly told Lin "you got to run the offense. I'm telling you to run the offense & you got to do it."

https://vine.co/v/OMF2OjKnIqm

he swears lin wasn't open

This is why it's true nobody wants to play with Kobe. After that play Lin must have been like "WTF did I get into getting traded here".

i realize it's pointless arguing with a kobe-hater. but i am going to point out that when he has a supporting cast, he shares the ball. when he has robert sacre, wesley johnson and carlos boozer, he's a lot more likely to jack up more shots.

For me, I snagged him in fantasy cheap, so Kobe needs to keep jacking them up. If it means the Lakers lose, side bonus. We all know the Lakers fans around here just start the rah rah for Team Balmer anyway.

But... this was indeed impressive.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Carmelo and Kobe are pretty much the same player, sure both want to win, but both want to be iso-ball hoggers that people don't really want to play with. Just think back to a game of pickup where inevitably one kid would sit there and dribble away and hog the ball, or some overweight guy would take 3 minutes trying to back someone down with his ass... next round of games, you didn't really want either of them on your team.

While you can argue that both players do produce assists, and do show other metrics to indicate sharing, I think it's more a knock on effect of how much the ball is in their hands.

Last edited:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of the biggest issues I have with advanced stats and the people that use them (and not all of them fall into this category) is that they either don't know the game that well or don't watch a lot of it but simply look at stats and determine whether player A is this or that. A basketball team is a very complex ecosystem, where the action of each player effects his teammates performance moreso than any other team sport. Nothing happens in a vacuum and to simply state something like "teams should take more 3's than 2's" as the advanced stat community advocates ignores so many aspects of what makes teams and players successful. For me, the stretch 4, a direct product of this thinking, has been the biggest "mistake" in my lifetime of watching basketball.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads