1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

The Elo system used to be used for chess rankings. It's also how 538 decides probabilities of wins for their sports forecasts.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Brian Scallabrine was brilliant on the Woj podcast. Such a great listen, his dive in on the year with GSW is worth the download on its own.

3. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Kobe's jumper has looked smooth these past few days.

4. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

1 person likes this.
  6. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

7. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

No Duncan, No Ginobili, No problem. Spurs HAMMERED Dallas tonight, and the head hunting poodle got ejected.

8. phoni

phoni Senior member

Yay, it took a John Wall triple double for us to beat the sixers. We're definitely turning a new leaf :/

Looking forward to the Thunder/Warriors game. Westbrook is raring to go, as always; he's the one player with Jordan's killer gene, that 'You're down and you've thrown the towel but I'm still gonna step on your throat' attitude.

I just hope there's no injuries; if the Bulls record wasn't a target I recon Kerr would play some Pops mindgames and sit Curry :p

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

You guys have been really injured tho

10. phoni

phoni Senior member

Yeah, Beal and Nene have been out for most of the season, but that's normal for us at this point.

Just annoyed this seasons, too weird things from our coaching staff, like not giving minutes to Oubre and trotting out lineups with Nene and Gortat on the floor, killing our spacing and not really improving our defense anyway. I really wish we'd go after Cousins, he may be a headcase but if we can keep Beal and Wall that'd be a hell of a core. Wouldn't mind getting Thibs as our next head coach either.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Cousins is a cancer.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Nene Gortat lineups were your bread and butter before playoffs last year but yeah nene can't keep up with more nimble perimeter shooting fours.

Cousins is great. Only thing I really don't like is when the call doesn't go in his favor he pouts, doesn't get back on defense, and kills both possessions. I think part of it has to do with them just constantly running the floor

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

He's a low character guy and isn't coachable. His skills overshadow these points, but they infect the entire team. You simply can't have your best player acting that way. I've heard the line that he just needs to get out of Sac, but these are not traits that just disappear.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

He is so coachable. Changed up his style this season when his coach, who he had a rocky relationship at the start, asked him to. He's shooting threes. He's running the floor

IMO he's a high character guy but he needs guidance from somebody he respects on the floor and Rondo is great for him. You never hear about incidents with Cousins off the court and he's really beloved in his community. Attends local high school football and basketball games. Lots of charity events. Buying cars for single mothers

Just has this I deserve this attitude on court and has like persecution complex

He's also by far the best center in the league. No weakness in his game. My favorite part of watching the Kings is when Cousins gets the rebound and runs the floor himself. Like Draymond only if Draymond was the Hulk

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

There is lots to know about Cousins off the court. And I just read the other day that Karl may not last the season. Malone was actually ok for Cousins, the franchise compounds his flaws.

We have diametric views on the guy, as a GM I wouldn't want him. The type of team I'd want to build does not include guys like Chris Paul, Cousins, Harden, Lawson, Rondo, Griffin, Kobe, Howard or Beasley. They aren't worth it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  16. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Kobe? U trippin

1 person likes this.
  17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

If ping pong balls went just one differently warriors could've gotten cousins instead of udoh

18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

No. He's a superstar and has a lot of good qualities, work ethic at the top of the list. But he's a selfish player that other guys don't want to play with. Kobe or Duncan? Everyone prefers Duncan.

1 person likes this.
  19. phoni

phoni Senior member

For the Wiz, our style this season is a lot more run and gun, but our defense has really fallen off a cliff. Injuries have played a part here but going forward neither Gortat nor Nene can really do much if they're switched on a stretch-4, and Gortat isn't a power player either so he rarely takes advantage at the other end, the way Nene can when he's healthy - just bulling his way into the post. I like Gortat but it feels like we lost 3 games this season due to him going for layups instead of dunks. Our other guys just don't have enough defensive speed anymore (Dudley, Gooden); Otto lacks lateral mobility, Oubre is still young, Temple may have hit his offensive ceiling (I hope not but his handles are still very limited). Wall has some games where he's not 100% committed but I feel this is due to exhaustion - he's carrying the team a lot more than any other comparable Top 15 player in the league, as far as I'm concerned.

Wall is good friends with Cousins (both on the Kentucky team) so I'd definitely want to try and see what'd happen if DMC came here. I'd also give Nash a try as headcoach, but he'd never agree to come in mid-season, and he's also smart enough to steer clear of us, since our ceiling is so limited with our current roster.

Just feels like a shame that Wall will waste what's left of his prime surrounded by a sub-par roster; once his speed starts to go, if he hasn't really improved his 3 ball he won't be all that effective anymore.

20. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Pau Gasol didn't really mind playing with him. Kobe will get you at least 1 championship. He's totally worth the headaches.