NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. venessian

venessian Senior member

wow, the kid must be a real d*ck.
    Why?

Whose going to be their 3rd scorer though? Green was a great 3rd option and Perkins seems real uncertain about his health. I have a feeling Boston did the trade to screw with the Lakers and in hopes that the OKC can eliminate the Lakers w/ Perkins.

I don't know. They must think Ibaka, Harden, Maynor can spread the load. What they know is they needed size in the West, and now they have it.

2. sexandcandy

sexandcandy Senior member

OKC needs big bodies if they intend to make it out of the west, they know that and that's why they made the trades. Jeff Green's numbers are down from last year, sometimes potential is just potential and doesn't realize into anything.

Celtics can not pay Perk next year so they pre-emptively traded him.

3. venessian

venessian Senior member

OKC needs big bodies if they intend to make it out of the west, they know that and that's why they made the trades. Jeff Green's numbers are down from last year, sometimes potential is just potential and doesn't realize into anything.

Celtics can not pay Perk next year so they pre-emptively traded him.

Yep. what I said. Plus, Green will be a restricted free agent this summer and had already turned down an OKC extension. Good move on OKC's part.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

OKC needs big bodies if they intend to make it out of the west, they know that and that's why they made the trades. Jeff Green's numbers are down from last year, sometimes potential is just potential and doesn't realize into anything. Celtics can not pay Perk next year so they pre-emptively traded him.
    damn I spend a day in the operating room and then find out about this here. hmm... its a "meta" trade... they want to make it harder for the Lakers/Spurs to advance I guess...[​IMG] still this is the way I see it... Perk didn't want to extend unless its a big extension. Celtics didn't want to give that money and knew perk was going to walk no matter what. Perk would have fit in perfectly with the Knicks or Heat and decimated the celtics chances to get out of the east next year. i don't know i'm confused. fuck it.

5. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

From what I've read the pundits are calling Jeff G. a bit of a bust. Upside yes, but crap numbers to go with it.
    I will never understand why guys like G.Wallace don't get more love. Some with S. Marrion and M. BArnes, they just bounce around from team to team but I would think they are the perfect piece to build with for a championship team.
    He scores, is younger, mostly healthy, no problems off the court, rebounds and plays D. What's not to like? How do you get better by getting rid of him?

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Have you guys not seen Green play? He is a good PF that can shoot from the outside. Greens numbers aren't down from last year, maybe half a block and reb and lower 3pt shooting but is it. He's a good defender as well. [​IMG]

Perkins has been hurt and he is hurt again, his MCL is injured and will miss time. Not long but these lingering injuries can screw them up in the end.

7. sexandcandy

sexandcandy Senior member

I watch OKC all the time..Green just isn't the same this year. He was in a major slump to start..picked it up recently but I don't see him have a break-out season any time soon like a Eric Gordon or Lamarcus Aldridge or Rudy Gay. He's decent, but not untradeable. Also @Norcal, I agree with you. I don't understand it either, but I will disagree with you about the health of G. Wallace. He always gets hurt, they call him Crash after all [​IMG]

8. phreak

phreak Senior member

I'm surprised Artest is still a Laker

9. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

10. venessian

venessian Senior member

I'm surprised Artest is still a Laker

Almost impossible: He's 31, inconsistent lately, his value has definitely gone down, and he has 3 years and $22 million remaining on his contract after this year. That's a tough package to unload.

I just hope he wakes up for the rest of this year.

11. phreak

phreak Senior member

Just with all the talk a couple weeks ago about him for Jackson or Wallace, him having a bit of a down year, and the rumor that he wanted out.

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

From what I've read the pundits are calling Jeff G. a bit of a bust. Upside yes, but crap numbers to go with it.
    I will never understand why guys like G.Wallace don't get more love. Some with S. Marrion and M. BArnes, they just bounce around from team to team but I would think they are the perfect piece to build with for a championship team.
    He scores, is younger, mostly healthy, no problems off the court, rebounds and plays D. What's not to like? How do you get better by getting rid of him?

the thing with danny ainge he knows how to find undervalued talent. either in older veterans like ray allen, or young guys like perkins and rondo.

there must be something reeeeally iffy with perkins health wise and didn't want to commit huge money only to have a andrew bynum seesaw like career from then on. i also saw that the celtics nabbed the clippers 2012 1st round pick which may be good (although top 10 protected).

i'm still confused.

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Jeff Green isn't a bust, what the hell? He is averaging 16/6/2 in a team with Durant and Westbrook who averages a combined 37 shots a game, he is a perfect 3rd piece for OKC. It's not even about breaking out, he can't do that with Westbrook and Durant in the team, but about fitting in and he fits and can defend well. And people call him a bust? Aldridge broke out but it took Roy and Oden to go out in 5 years. I don't see how people are saying Rudy Gay is having a breakout year, he is pretty on par with his stats from last year outside of the increase in % in 3pt and ft. So I don't think they expected Green to average 25/10 when they acquired him, he is doing well right now and I think they could have gotten someone better.

From what I remember from the LAL vs OKC series, Green made a huge difference because he stretched the floor and as you guys saw last night, the Lakers achilles heel are people behind the arc, it has their defense scrambling the whole game.

14. venessian

venessian Senior member

I'm certainly not saying he is a bust. Not at all. He was a good third piece for OKC, but also with 4 problems for OKC:

no contract extension
    not many rebounds
    undersized in the West
    hardly any D

Of the 3, Green was by far the most expendable. He is not Durant or Westbrook, guys who can really form a championship core. There are several Jeff Greens in the NBA.

This trade doesn't wreck OKC at all. What I don't get is what it really does for Boston. I bet the Celtics fans/players are not so happy right now.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I don't think there are many Jeff Greens in the league, he is an Odom-like player but less lazy. I just didn't see it as a problem from their series to the Lakers last year, they lost by a hair on that one. I just think with Perkins they become slower and less athletic, not to mention Perkins health becomes a liability.

I can see Boston having big plans for Green. KG moves to the center and have green be the 4th when they go small. He can defend all the wing players in the east like Lebron but can also defend smaller players like Wade or taller players like Bosh. Green can also take over KG when he retires, a core of Rondo and Green for the future is a good starting point when the big 3 retires.