1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

He is prone to turn overs but I noticed this after he first got hurt this year. Before that, he was attacking the basket and finishing with dunks, he was confident from the USA basketball experience. Remember that Clips run where they would lead 15-20 points but blow it in the 3rd and then they catch up and keep it close but lose anyways, Gordon was clutch on those times. Like that game against Utah, Gordon was driving past everyone and just stuffing the basket, he just didn't have as much help as right now, Blake was still unsure what to do. And then the first injury just destroyed his confidence late in the games, it just got even worse after this wrist injury. It's like he is hesitant to drive to the basket as before since he keeps getting knocked down and he doesn't have the same strength and body as Blake to take it.

2. 13k

13k Senior member

^^^ He's had a lot of wrist/hand injuries ever since the World's tournament

nm RFX got it covered

3. sexandcandy

sexandcandy Senior member

it's just happened way too many times. you can't have turnovers in those situations..i'd be scared to have the ball in his hands if i was vinny del negro

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Only way to build confidence is by experience, check out the second OT after he drained that 3 to tie in the first OT, he was more composed and actually handled the ball when Mo fouled out. He had like 2 assists in 2OT and made a running floater. He got some confidence and it worked, that is all he really needed.

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Boston loses
    Identical records, we have homecourt in finals
    I don't care about homecourt against chicago.
    Miami I believe will be terminated by one of them above so homecourt question is moot.

West
    If we hold up we'll have homecourt against dallas. No worries.
    Okc or portland should duke it out with spurs.
    Okc we'll have homecourt but is moot as they won't make it past spurs.

Now only issue is homecourt disadvantage w spurs.

Anyone care to comment on how we will fare against them in conf finals?

I'm thinking we'll still win, but will go 6 games.

6. kxk

kxk Well-Known Member

Anyone care to comment on how we will fare against them in conf finals? I'm thinking we'll still win, but will go 6 games.
    Duncan's injury doesn't look too serious and Pop has done a great job managing his starters' minutes and keeping them not only healthy, but also fresh. But no matter how fresh, they're still old legs running around in late May. (But I suppose the same goes for Kobe, although I'm in the camp that the dude doesn't seem to tire, ever) I'm not so sure, though, about Lakers winning. Even in the regular season, they're 1-2 against the Spurs (albeit one of the losses was a very close one). You guys definitely have the advantage with the youth and depth up front, so we'll see about that. It should be a great series nonetheless. I'm not so sure about my Celtics' chances, though. As much as I love Jeff Green and understand Ainge's plan, I don't agree that we didn't disadvantage ourselves for the banner this year. It all hangs on Shaq. I can't remember the last time that there was an NBA champion without a "pretty decent" center, unless that champion happened to have a SG named Jordan. In fact, looking at b-r, I can't find one after 1975 Warriors with Clifford Ray, and even Ray could be counted on for ten boards a night. Before that is the 58 Hawks with Chuck Share who was still getting double digit boards (whatever that was worth in the 50s). Seriously, you might go 75-7 in the regular season, but I'm firmly convinced that playoff success requires a pretty decent center, at LEAST. And even that's being generous--save for 87 Lakers with Abdul-Jabbar way on his downside and the Bad Boy Pistons with Laimbeer, all other championship centers were at least borderline all-star level performers.

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i was really impressed that the suns were able to bounce back after that game and come back and win the next night. that takes a lot of heart.

8. 13k

13k Senior member

Duncan's injury doesn't look too serious and Pop has done a great job managing his starters' minutes and keeping them not only healthy, but also fresh. But no matter how fresh, they're still old legs running around in late May. (But I suppose the same goes for Kobe, although I'm in the camp that the dude doesn't seem to tire, ever)

I'm not so sure, though, about Lakers winning. Even in the regular season, they're 1-2 against the Spurs (albeit one of the losses was a very close one). You guys definitely have the advantage with the youth and depth up front, so we'll see about that.
    It should be a great series nonetheless.

I'm not so sure about my Celtics' chances, though. As much as I love Jeff Green and understand Ainge's plan, I don't agree that we didn't disadvantage ourselves for the banner this year. It all hangs on Shaq. I can't remember the last time that there was an NBA champion without a "pretty decent" center, unless that champion happened to have a SG named Jordan.

In fact, looking at b-r, I can't find one after 1975 Warriors with Clifford Ray, and even Ray could be counted on for ten boards a night.
    Before that is the 58 Hawks with Chuck Share who was still getting double digit boards (whatever that was worth in the 50s).
    Seriously, you might go 75-7 in the regular season, but I'm firmly convinced that playoff success requires a pretty decent center, at LEAST. And even that's being generous--save for 87 Lakers with Abdul-Jabbar way on his downside and the Bad Boy Pistons with Laimbeer, all other championship centers were at least borderline all-star level performers.

With the way Bynum is playing after ASG and the beatdown we handed SA March 6th I really can't see how they can beat LA in a 7 game series. Way too lengthy for them especially with Lamar off the bench, they don't have someone to match up with him. An OKC vs. SA conference finals looks interesting.

Celtics look like they're relying on Nenad and a pair of O'neals to carry them through the offseason. I have to credit them for doing so well without Perkins before they traded him off to OKC. Chicago looks mighty scary the way they've been playing, so again a Bulls/Celts conf. finals looks fun too.

9. sexandcandy

sexandcandy Senior member

Do you mean semifinals? Cause you say SA can't beat LA yet you have OKC and SA in the conf finals

10. 13k

13k Senior member

Do you mean semifinals? Cause you say SA can't beat LA yet you have OKC and SA in the conf finals

[​IMG] thats what I meant. OKC vs. SA western conference SEMI-finals.

My guess is its gonna be LAL vs. SA/OKC Western Conf. Finals and Chicago vs. Boston. in the east.

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

no no. i just ran the hollinger playoffs prediction software it is going to be:

Spurs
    Denver

Lakers
    Portland

Celtics
    Orlando

Miami
    NYC

with Portland and NYC meeting in the finals with Portland winning it.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

great! i feel a lot better about the laker's chances now. he's got a such a great track record.

13. 13k

13k Senior member

Spurs
    Denver

Lakers
    Portland

Celtics
    Orlando

Miami
    NYC

with Portland and NYC meeting in the finals with Portland winning it.

lol how many of those were marked "UPSET"

great! i feel a lot better about the laker's chances now. he's got a such a great track record.

True story.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

lakers full strength tonite. relatively. when is theo ratliff coming back? is he ever? i liked his presence and some of his legitimate offensive 'moves' when he was playing earlier part of this season and preseason.

and will caracter be perhaps part of the playoff roster?

12 only:

kobe
    pau
    artest
    fisher
    bynum
    odom
    barnes
    blake
    brown

ebanks? caracter? ratliff? joe smith? walton[​IMG] ??
    only three from here can go to the roster.

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

that's a great 9. based on the rotations jackson's been using so far, walton will definitely go (not defending, just saying). ratliff if he can ever get back in a game ... just because they need a second true post. my guess is it'll be caracter ... i think ebanks has been hobbled (or is it the other way around? i can't keep those two straight).

16. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

ebanks is the small forward who was sidelined recently
    caracter is the power forward fattie who hasnt been really lving up to his potential yet

..and remember..last season playoffs we were essentially only SIX deep:

kobe
    pau
    fisher
    artest
    odom
    bynum

kobe was playing injured at 75% strength, bynum was on one leg virtually only 33% strength, odom was only there half the time....
    and the rest of the bench crew didnt really contribute much except for the couple of minutes brown and farmar played.

so celtics fans cant really say much about the perkins thing.
    we can say 'hey we played only 6 people and not at 100% anyways. also, even if perkins was playing 7th game, doesnt mean it AUTOMATICALLY Meant they would win the game. the whole outcome can be changed. it could have been a runaway for the lakers if you really argue about it. like the butterfly effect. doesnt mean anything.

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Anyone else see Griffin get mega-swatted?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

18. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i saw that . thing is he wasnt going for a true dunk or tomahawk, then mcgee wouldnt have been able to reach although he has the longest wingspan for most. blake was doing a like a under scoop up and shot but then got swatted. different.

but because it is blake, media made a big deal out of it because they just assumed everytmie he goes up , it would be some kind of a over head tomahawk dunk

19. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Who cares, the dude got swatted like it was volleyball.

20. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

David West out for the season.
    If the playoffs started today, they'd go against the Lakers and could have cruised through them.
    Looks like a spot just opened up for the Rockets or Suns in the playoffs.