1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Exactly. I looks like high school ball with better athletes. The shot clock is endless. It's dribble, pass, dribble dribble, pass. Back in the 80s you say solid fundamental ball. Then the high school generation came into the league and from there it was downhill for college. If there is a rule, they should make it 2 years. But I still believe college ball should be converted to semi-pro.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Wooooo Pelicans!!

1 person likes this.
  3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

watching ncaa is fun for me because they use all these weird things that nobody in the nba uses. like full court presses or zone presses that kentucky was using.

i think my favorite goal celebration of all time is harden's cooking one.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Green being a dick and fueling the feud.

Funny thing is dude acts pretty damn cocky himself pounding his chest every play and acting like he has made a game winning shot all the time and practically taunting the other team. Clips aren't perfect, CP3 is one of the dirtiest player and a flop master, being a stan aside but despite the stares at the refs when they do not get a call I never really see or feel they are that arrogant, more immature.

To be fair the Clips did eliminate them in the playoffs last year and did get farther than them in the playoffs.

I like the Dubs a lot and I love the rivalry but I'm just really starting to hate Green, even more than Bogut. Which is good in some way I guess, get some good ol' rivalry going where the two teams aren't hugging each other and being best friends afterwards?

But ironically during Dubs game last night against the Pelicans...

1 person likes this.
  5. diadem

diadem Senior member

Honestly, the Warriors can treat every game until the end of the regular season as a scrimmage, even if there are still quality opponents left on the schedule, because they have home-court advantage locked up throughout the playoffs. Not sure if they were intentionally disrespecting New Orleans.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

TheBrow seemed insulted enough and if the team got fired up enough to win due to that and these two likely end up face each other off in the first round then it can get very interesting.

Wouldn't it be ironic if they do play each other because last nights win puts NO in the 8th seed and Pelicans eliminates them? It'll be like the Mavs/Dubs series all over again but they'd be on the other end of the stick.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

8. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

If the Warriors can't beat the Pelicans in a 7 game series, they weren't going to do much damage in the playoffs. Either of the Pelicans and Thunder are good teams, but won't be competing for a championship this year. Given where the Warriors want to be, they have to be able to beat these teams in the first round, regardless of motivation, etc. Last night's game had less to do with respect then with Klay Thompson performing horribly and the Pelicans making a lot of nice plays in the 3rd Quarter when Bogut was sitting with foul trouble and at the end of the game. And of course, officiating and weird plays didn't go in the Warriors favor, but that's not uncommon in close games - that's why one team loses and another wins. I didn't see anything last night that would indicate the Pelicans were a bad matchup for the Warriors in a first round series. The Brow will have some big games but I don't see how they can stop the Warriors in 4 out of 7.

9. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

two great articles today:

about rondo and his volatile and brilliant past
    http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...-new-dallas-mavericks-point-guard-rajon-rondo

jonathan abrams about draymond (this is where rfx got his dray quotes)
    http://grantland.com/features/nba-golden-state-warriors-draymond-green-michigan-state-spartans/

i know everyone loooves abrams' articles but tbh he doesn't do that much for me as a writer. as an investigative guy he's unparalleled in how many ppl he gets to comment on record. but his writing isn't that strong i don't think. i think the rondo story above is way better.

btw i decided i dislike tom haberstroh. i think he often takes the wrong lessons out of stats and doesn't back up his stuff w/ enough game analysis. i guess sometimes he finds some interesting stats.

if anyone is looking for another nba podcast the cbs eye on basketball one isn't bad. zach harper hosts it. pretty in depth, a decent amt of inside info, good analysis, etc. but honestly, every nba podcast pales in comparison to the starters, at least in entertainment value. it's incredible that their team is so huge (compared to the avg podcast), but they really make great use out of everyone. it seems ridiculous to have a producer for a podcast, but it does wonders for its listenability.

yeah dray is cocky as all hell. on par w/ the clips persona i'd say.

btw dray told that pels superfan that the game was a scrimmage and there was no chance NO would win, but after the game he went over and dapped the fan up and took back his comments, which is pretty cool :)

3 people like this.
  10. Neo_Version 7

I actually like NBA Lockdown on ESPN podcast (Amin Elhassan kills it). But yeah, STARTERS is my favourite as well. Wish they would do a Drop every day as opposed to weekly but that might be too much. :laugh:

Everyone on here knows my disdain for Zach Lowe nowdays which is why I rarely listen to Lowe Post or any BS Report/Bill Don't Lie where he is a guest. He is borderline unlistenable now. Dude comes off like a babbling Woody Allen talking about basketball. Don't even get me started on JalenJacoby which went to shit months ago

1 person likes this.
  11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

But isn't that the definition of an upset? I mean the top seed should be the better team and beat the lower seed especially when it is 1st vs 8th seed. Technically every team has to be able to beat the other team to win a championship, you are pretty much just stating the obvious. :lol: I mean saying if the Dubs can't beat the Pelicans then they can't do damage in the playoffs, well yeah because if they can't beat the Pelicans int he first round, there is no more playoffs.

I am not sure many thought the Dubs matched up well against the Mavs when they beat them in 2007, the Mavs was definitely expected to roll over them, betting odds were 14-1. It wasn't until afterwards that articles about it being a bad match up or whatever excuse they could come up with surfaced. At least that's how I recalled it. I am sure there were Warriors fans that said they could pull an upset but those were definitely in the minority.

And man, Bogut may not get into foul trouble but he has a bad history of injuries and dude could go down and the Dubs could be in trouble just like they were last year.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying the Pelicans can beat the Dubs in a 7 game series but I just thought it would be funny if it were to happen. Which it could, I don't think it would but I'm not going to be mad to be proven wrong.

12. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

My point is that great teams don't get upset by borderline playoff teams. If the Mavs had beaten the Warriors, they would have lost the next round or the round after that - they were never going to win the championship as they were constructed.

I'm not saying the Warriors can't be upset, I'm saying if the Warriors can be upset by a significantly inferior team (which is really what we're discussing) then the Warriors had no chance against the legitimately good teams in the league. The teams that worry me the most are the Spurs and Memphis. To a much lesser extent the Clippers and Rockets, and I guess Blazers. Those would be challenging matchups for the Warriors (obviously in my opinion less so with the second group), even if the Warriors have a legitimate chance at winning the title. Losing in the first round means the Warriors just weren't that good and had no chance at contending for a title.

Obviously I agree if Bogut goes down the Warriors are in trouble - I've been saying it all year. We could lose anyone other than Bogut and Steph and I would feel we have a puncher's chance but we need those two guys to be at full strength to make a deep run. Compare that with Oklahoma City which would be like us trading Klay, Steph, Bogut and Green for Westbrook. You can't lose to OKC and think that if only you had played a little better you would have had a chance to win the championship because the reality is you would have just been around long enough to get smoked by the next team you play.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

warriors went to conference semifinals the year before. clips also have only been to conference semi finals

i think the big question come playoff time is whether dray can handle the bigger heavier 4s that can post up. blake, zbo, duncan, lamarcus. he does well enough by fronting, but if they run sets for deeper position and just keep getting the ball to a post dominant 4. i'm not sure what dray (and barnes) can do

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

warriors have an out of bounds play where they put a man in the corner, everybody else runs a play, but they throw the ball to the man in the corner and he shoots it

14. Brothersport

no chance warriors lose to the pels unless curry gets hurt. Over under on # games for that series should be 5.

oh shit i'll give that a try, thanks. i didn't realize amin el hassan had a podcast. i don't follow him on twitter cuz he just tweets so damn much...same w/ zach harper and a couple ppl. but i like his stuff.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I think Green can handle Blake, he can easily be pushed. PJ Tucker manages to keep Blake at bay and I think Green is stronger and also obviously bigger. Aldridge, ZBo and Duncan might be harder but with help from Bogut it's doable. Biggest threat is probably Marc and ZBo as you just can't leave either to help while I think with Blake, Duncan and Aldridge, you can leave the center and afford to double them more if necessary.

@UnFacconable, again I think you are pretty much saying the obvious.

And on hindsight after the Mavs lost to the Dubs, yeah you can now say they probably would have lost in the second round or conference finals, etc... after the fact. Back then, they were the heavy favorites, 4-1 to win in the beginning of the season because they just lost in the Finals the year before then went on to have the best record for the season and improving their wins by 7 from the season prior. I think you'd be crazy to think back then that they were a bad team even after they lost to the Dubs.

1 person likes this.
  16. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yeah i think the zbo marc gasol will be hardest to handle cuz they both are good passers (and also a duncan splitter lineup), but green and barnes will have a hard time. blake hasn't really posted up that much this year at least not as much as he used to

montejunas out for rest of season

damn

17. Neo_Version 7

Yeah, love Amin. He's hilarious. Dude keeps it all the way 100 which is funny cuz he works for stuffy, old ESPN. I think I've gotten to the point now where if the "analysis" isn't infused with some amount of humour like STARTERS, I just tune out. Numbers, stats, cap talks, etc. = Zzzzzz

18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Green gets all the press, but Bogut is a big factor in the quality of that Warriors team. Unfortunately centers tightened up and start getting hurt all the time after a few seasons, but with the Bucks he led the league in blocks.

1 person likes this.
  19. Brothersport

oh yeah they've had that for awhile now. lol, i remember seeing on twitter some beat writer (maybe ethan strauss) saying that last year doc literally screamed at his players that if anyone fell for that play he would bench them for the rest of the game.

i'm pretty welcoming of all that stuff, but usually only when it's combined w/ scouting talk or insider scoops. i still like zach lowe's takes on what players are good, etc, even if he's the biggest waffler in the world.

dude the drop is so awesome, just 90 min of rambling and going off on tangents. i still want to meet those guys in atlanta somewhere and become bffs.

the cbs podcast i mentioned isn't bone dry; the host is a big movie fan and loves the fast/furious franchise, and they keep it kinda light. it's pretty long tho.

1 person likes this.
  20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

M C William is a worse shooter than I thought, I mean, I knew his % were weak but uff, my eyes

[​IMG]