1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The problem with nicknames is that somehow people (the media?) feel that if you hit a certain level of stardom you HAVE to have one. So they force feed stupid shit instead of letting it grow organically (or not).

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Exactly. With Gobert, the dude grabs a few rebounds and it's as if there is a sudden requirement to call him something instead of Rudy Gobert. Nicknaming is for wankers, just like that phenomena of calling players by their initials and number (CP3, etc).

3. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

so what are the best current ones?

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Derek "Gimpy" Rose, Hassan "Head Case" White, Glen "Fatso" Davis and Nate "Dwarf" Robinson.

5. dopey

Big Baby was a good one.

6. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Chef Curry, the Baby Faced Assassin.

Black Falcon is terrible though.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Chef Curry? :facepalm:

8. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

He brings the heat.

1 person likes this.
  9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

See, that's funny. But Chef Curry is total shit. First thing that crossed my mind is Curry with an Indian dot on his forehead shooting a 3.

10. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Put some Curry on that dish!!!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  11. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

i think there probably is something to what you're saying. just thought the blanket statements were too much. @HRoi is right that a lot of times the media (or bloggers) are like, "okay, this guy has to have a nickname." that's how you got people pushing durantula for kd a few years back. but a lot of old nicknames were dumb. i feel like pre-internet, if a nickname was to be agreed upon by the general public, it had to be something so simple that beat writers wouldn't feel dumb using it, or ad companies didn't need to take a huge risk building a campaign around it. and if everyone loves it, then most of the time it's not gonna be smart, or clever, or witty at all. some of those names idfnl mentioned are pretty dumb. nostalgia and those players' greatness helps a lot.

nothing in particular (about gobert), like polls or anything obviously. but you two are literally the 1st ones i've seen who have had anything negative to say about stifle tower. tons of analysts use it, bloggers, fantasy writers, fans, etc. im mostly judging by twitter here.

i like the glove too, and the round mound of rebound is a glorious title. i mentioned some of the ones i liked last page, but i think zbo is my favorite.

haven't yet made up my mind on slim reaper, but no way it would catch on w/ the general public.

12. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

Did kobe come up with black mamba for himself

The big fundamental is another awful one

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

14. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Old Man Riverwalk is so-bad-it's-good territory imo

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    2 people like this.
  15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

He did, and that automatically makes it awful. Although Nike jumped on that with all these snakeskin themed apparel

16. dopey

17. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

o boy. looks like durant may be out for the whole season including playoffs. :(

18. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

No more max contract for him

1 person likes this.
  19. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

good, shut down durant. that foot problem is likely to linger if not allowed to fully rest and heal. hell, all the rest and healing doesnt guarentee anything either. wish him the best, i think if the thunder make the playoffs (on the back of westy), westy might have a real shot at mvp even with all the missed games earlier in the year

altough harden is making a damn good case

1 person likes this.
  20. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

horrible horrible news. hope to god it doesn't affect durant past this year.

i honestly think the warriors have at least like a 75% chance of winning the title. as long as everyone's healthy, i don't see them losing against anyone. the crazy thing is that they're so versatile too. i don't even know if they have a bad matchup against anyone. the closest anyone comes is san antonio (ugh), just cuz of their wing defenders. but golden state should be able to guard the spurs very well too.