1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I have no idea, it's like both haven't returned from their All Star break.

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I don't know anything about the negotiations, but could that be in part a result of the differing interests of the union members impacting the union's bargaining positions? Generally speaking, the players who individually have the most perceived value (and thus can be argued to contribute the most to the union's negotiating leverage) are going to be those who are in line to get big free agent contracts. From an economic self-interest perspective, the high-value players don't care much more about the interests of the league minimum guys than the owners do.

Contrast this with the dynamics (again, somewhat oversimplified) of a more "traditional" unionized industry, where wages for people in similar job classes and at similar points in the seniority ladder tend to be comparable or lock-step. It tends to make the interests of individual union members more homogenous, and make it easier for the union to negotiate for something that seems a little more "something for everyone".

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

You might be right - I haven't kept up with all the counterproposals - but that doesn't work either. Unless the players are all ideologically communist. How would that proposal sound to someone like Damian Lillard, who's watched everyone get paid while he makes rookie scale, and now it's his turn and he has to redistribute some of his upside to these guys?

4. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

:lol: unexpectedly hilarious... good one. But hey, not all us jazzers are smack heads… some prefer only the herbal jazz cigarette :nodding:

2 people like this.
  5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Thought Vucevic was out longer. Must have mixed him up.

I never said Lowe was making that implication. He was just expressing surprise. The rest is my interpretation, which does not include saying "stars don't impact a team". What I'm saying is that stars aren't always as valuable as they're made out to be. Not that they aren't good players, it's just that there is more parody of talent across the NBA now, and that vacuum is filled with guys that people are somehow surprised step up, and I'm not.

Regarding Howard, sure, they may win more games with him, but is it worth such a large investment? It's a valid question. For Howard money, you can bring in 2 or even 3 very solid players, would that combined impact be greater than Howard? There is a case to be made that it can.

So now petty name calling is debate. I'd welcome never having to bypass another one of your boring replies to me again.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i think lawyerdad put it best when he said idfnl was intellectually dishonest. either that or just too obtuse to see his own dishonesty. logic, evidence, common sense are all useless and i'm tired of the "this one counter example disproving your idea" argument

yeah. apparently it was an unanimous decision with the NBPA but i'm wondering if it was something like group think or if the minimum wage players never really spoke up or something

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You continue to adopt the fallacy that I care about standing here. You're mainstream, repetitive, and boring, and you're using me as a phony counterpoint. If you weren't, you'd put me on ignore. Someone who really meant what you say would have done it long ago.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I only recently realized I don't care enough to continue.

If anything I think you're the only one who cares about your standing here cuz you talk so much about how you don't care. It's less about social standing and more about how consistently pointless it is to talk with you about anything.

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Bullshit. You've been mechanically repeating yourself for 3 years, maybe more. Have some conviction, put me on ignore.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Sure

I'll do whatever I want to do

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

That proves my point ( that I know nothing about the negotiations).

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You'll do whatever you want to.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Sure

14. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

yes yes you're right. thank you for the buddy system reminder not to engage. here is your reward, from i think my least favorite player in the league

1 person likes this.
  15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

at first i thought westbrook was your least favorite player. just realized he's dripping from his nose

hawks have weird losses to bad teams but unexpected wins to good teams. getting owned by denver somehow

16. Brothersport

it's that post-brian shaw effect. everyone turns into manimals.

plus on the road at denver is a pretty predictable place to cough up a strange loss.

but yeah, you're right. honestly it might be a good thing for their title hopes; it shows they can get to a higher gear when needed, and therefore might not just pull a chicago in the playoffs and peter out.

17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Yeah don't the nuggets have the best home advantage?

Hawks 3s look like they're not falling but they're only missed a few more than they normally would. they're losing cuz they're not getting stops. Nuggets shooting unusually well. Vintage gallo production

I loved this article so much. http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?stor...top&rand=ref~{"ref":"http://t.co/w2RMHXhvex"} Was about how warriors developed the league best defense from guys who they didn't exactly draft for defensive prowess

Holy shit Hawks bench cut a 33 something lead to 9

18. Brothersport

hahahhahah corey brewer turned into fucking superman at the end of the rockets-blazers game. rockets were down by 12 or so and then he checked in w/ 4 min left and got 2 steals (1 bad non-call) and scored 17 pts in a row. just missed the tying 3 at the buzzer.

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Durant would be a decent second option on that team.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Recent observations have been deeply insightful. A choice nuggets is "getting owned by denver somehow", and the realization that "they're losing cuz they're not getting stops". Max deal stuff.

Great vine brothersport. This thread needed some snot.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015