1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

the dad's only half the battle. the weird thing is th jr doesn't look anything like hardaway himself.

ugh, i'd take brooks over shaw. shaw has shown the social ability of an autistic child. did you see that report that he read books on how to talk to millenials and actually tried rapping a game plan to his team? what in the fuck.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Yes he does.

Choosing between these 2 is like choosing sex with a donkey over a horse.

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Anthony Mason died. I always remembered his as a bruiser, but the Grantland piece changed my recollection of his capabilities.

4. Brothersport

dont look now but jeremy lin is playing well and the jazz have the best defense in the league post the all star break

what? [​IMG]

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

RUDY!!!!

6. Brothersport

listen, if the 2013 draft were redone, rudy goes #1. giannis #2, then some combo of oladipo, noel, mcw, steven adams, mason plumlee, who knows who else.

wow, what a terrible draft. it was supposed to be bad and it definitely is. is anyone from that draft gonna make an all-star team??? mayyyybe dipo or mcw will make a couple in the east. who knows w/ rudy, but he's stuck behind cousins and deandre jordan and gasol.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

gobert and giannis for sure are going to make an all star team

8. Brothersport

oh i forgot to list giannis. i think they might but iono man, giannis isn't near that level yet and his career can still go a number of directions. it's a lot harder to reliably chart out his future than the average prospect who's been in the league almost 2 years.

do you think gobert will be noticeably better than deandre? cuz deandre is prob only gonna make 1 or 2 maybe in his career, and he's a lot flashier than gobert. it's possible gobert will be better on offense and/or defense, but deandre is elite at rebs and is in the perfect situation for a center w/ his skills.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yeah i mean gobert is only 22. fwiu gobert's interior defense is already better than deandre and he's only starting to get good on offense. as for giannis i was reading about how stats production in teh first two years or so pretty much dictate how a player performs later in life. giannis might not be elite now, but he will be. he's also only 20 and he's already pretty good

1 person likes this.
  10. Brothersport

yeah, gobert's d is dominating altho that's not usually the sort of thing that gets you all-star votes, but i realize that's a false achievement anyway so w/e. he's a pretty good passer too for being young. but we haven't seen him play big minutes, so it's impossible to know if he can keep up his elite pace w/ double the minutes and a really long season.

giannis is a good player but he's pretty inconsistent and who really knows how big a role he can play on a good team? he has all the potential but it's tough to say definitively that he's gonna be elite. nobody even knows what position he'll eventually end up at.

i like the guy too, and he's looked great over the last month or two (a lot worse w/ knight gone actually), but he's still at 12/7/2.5 for the year and he can't shoot 3s whatsoever. he's not a sure thing to be a top-25 player or whatever.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yeah you know what? i'm kinda surprised at how good gobert is at passing. if his post game ever gets to the point of commanding double teams jazz is going to be awesome. i also really really love quinn snyder

i actually think giannis will at least be a starter if not a stud or a superstar. his shooting isn't the greatest and people keep comparing him to kevin durant, but he's really not. he will improve tho. i believe in jason kidd

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

He's become much more consistent recently, and is shooting 50% on the season and scored double figures in 14 of his last 16. He wavers game to game but it's a matter of time before that fg% variance settles. He's developing a nose for making plays too, and he's had exactly 1 game this season where he has failed to record at least 1 block or steal.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

They have different brow lines, otherwise I see a resemblance.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

let's just give Rudy a max contract right now. screw this rookie scale or whatever it is

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i realize you're joking, but gobert really is a max player. complete offense altering rim protection is not so easy to come by much less with his offensive development. he can almost dunk standing flat footed. you can't do anything near the rim with gobert around and i'm pretty sure he has the best (lowest) opponent fgp around the rim

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Good man. Now we're talking.

I really did laugh out loud. You should be the one joking here.

17. wojt

wojt Senior member

2 people like this.
  18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Only partially. I'm a big fan.

Obv the Jazz won't give him raise until they have to, but I think the kid's going to be great

19. Brothersport

gobert would absolutely get the max from at least some team if he were somehow an unrestricted FA right now. You don't pass up on a 22 yo potential defensive player of the year who isn't completely broken on offense.

As with all young players, teams have to pay for potential as much as established level of play.

But yeah, there's a reason that the CBA is structured w/ rookie deals: to cut down on that risk as much as possible for owners.

20. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

No Experience Necessary With a straight face, rookie Glenn Robinson asked the Milwaukee Bucks for $100 million

^the funny part is that the league almost imploded (from both players and teams) after this and Robinson ended up signing a 10 year $68 million dollar contract that had him actually probably undervalued and underpaid by the time he got out of it (because he was above average then and basketball was mirroring baseball with wild huge contracts). If he just waited a little and did the opt out clause after a short time he would've probably got that $100,000,000.00 contract before that next NBA lockout/shortened season.

what I found interesting is that back in the day the only time the NFL players actually had any leverage over the league/teams was if they were prized top NFL draft prospects. Since they were eligible for the draft they basically were treated as free agents and could hold out and not play until the team PAID them. Naturally getting a top pick in the NFL draft pre 2011 (before they put in a rookie wage scale) was actually something teams activity didn't want because it meant you had to pay out the nose for your rookie who may not even be good player.

1 person likes this.