1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

mcgary is a nominal power forward. he actually has a nice jumper, but they basically have 3 big men that can play interchangeable off the bench

i want novak to happen again

2. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

i don't know man. i think they might be able to move up, but if they're the 8 seed, there's no way they're a big favorite on the road against gsw. plus durant's health is a giant question mark; that's a much bigger deal than a better bench.

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Yeah. Might be out for the season. I also don't know if they'll definitely make the WCF. I feel like any of the 8 western conference teams could make the finals and win it all. Warriors are the team to beat but it's really close.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  4. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

i don't think the mavs have a chance of making the finals. i doubt the clippers, rockets (w/o healthy howard), and spurs can either tbh. clippers are too stagnant and have no depth, same w/ houston, and honestly none of the spurs have played up to their level from last year so far, maybe save duncan. they deserve the benefit of the doubt, but if they didn't win the title last year, nobody would be giving them a chance this year given how they've looked. that leaves golden state, okc, memphis, portland.

btw the 8 western playoff teams are essentially locked up. okc is already 8th, phoenix is scrambling and took a step backward w/o two of their best 4 players and needed big man depth, and anthony davis is out 1-2 weeks. sad to say, no drama w/ that race anymore.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

mavs, spurs, clippers do have a chance tho and i would put all three of them up against any eastern conference team

i think the only two teams without gaping weaknesses is golden state and memphis. okc and portland have big injury concerns.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I've shitted on the Clips bench for maybe the whole season but just like the CP3 was a blessing in disguise for Griffin a year ago, Griffins injury might be a blessing in disguise for the bench this year. The bench has played really well this past 4 games resulting in a 4 game winning streak (knock on wood) and even Rivers didn't look so terrible. I think the confidence the bench gains will benefit the team greatly come playoff time.

Was surprised the Dubs lose to Indiana tonight and Portland just lost tonight as well giving the Clips a half game lead on them though the Blazers is still ahead in 4th place in ranking (leads the Northwest I guess?).

I still don't think the Thunder could beat the Dubs or Grizz in a 7 game series no matter how deep they are (they do still have Russy) and with Durant being out a few games here and there so they better not slip up.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yeah austin rivers had that one good game. hopefully he gets better

i think thunder could beat dubs or grizz if everybody was healthy. their bench is amazingly deep and they also have 3 of the best players in the league. ibaka's 3 doesn't command respect, but he hits it pretty well. i think it would come down to matter of coaching cuz the talent is there.

i didnt watch the pacers game cuz pacers games are boring as fuck, but the blazers grizzlies game was really tight all the way and blazers gave it up in the last minute or so

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I am starting to dislike Ibakas offense, he shoots way more jumpshots than he should, especially behind the arc this year. I think he needs to have some post moves and I think that might be why they were desperate to get Brook Lopez this year? His fg% went down from 54% last year to 46% this year and it's likely due to 3.5 3pt attempts per game in comparison to less than one attempts last year.

I still think OKC is pushing it all up and winning due to talent while Dubs are very talented, very deep and very well coached (didn't imagine they could have improved this much from last year). I just do not trust OKCs coach too much, feels like that bench is going to be useless because he'll burn the starters in minutes anyways.

Health is definitely going to be the determining factor but I still need to see Scott Brooks actually utilize that bench more effectively. I guess we'll see with Durant out for a week or so. Plus we get to see more The Russy Show so ain't no complaints over here.

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

That Ibaka offense is intentional, as they decided to turn him into a stretch 4. Presumably to give the two slashers space and another kick out option. To his credit, he's put in the work and can hit those shots, including corner 3's

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

He's put the work in but it doesn't really look natural.

11. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Where is the real Richard Jefferson? Because if you told me he would have 1 of the sickest dunks this year, I would've asked you 'isn't he retired?'

12. diadem

diadem Senior member

Bahaha, ref called that an offensive foul, though [​IMG]. Impressive, nonetheless.

13. jet

jet Senior member

sup lawrence

14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

up by 9 with less than two minutes left lakers still almost blew it! That sequence to force OT was still exciting as hell even the OT the lakers tried 100 ways to blow it. OMG what have these two once great franchises trotted out as game time lineups were full of LOLz.

it was like watching an exciting HOBO fight.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12331388/the-great-analytics-rankings#!nba

i'm half way through but it's already a great read

also this

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/30227/carlisle-pushed-all-of-the-right-buttons

apparently carlisle put barea in game four of 2011 finals because of line up data. also didnt realize dwane casey and terry stotts were assistant coaches at the time

also this

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/john_schuhmann/01/22/spoelstra-qa/

16. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

All the credit to Carlisle and Cuban for being ahead of the anal craze in NBA

They were the Oakland As that actually won it all

1 person likes this.
  17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Right up your alleyway.

18. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

basically stats and analysis has played a huge huge part of the last four nba champions having a big say in everything from draft selection and free agent signings to how many minutes a player gets, where they get those minutes, who plays against which lineups, which shots players should take, how to improve on defense, which defensive schemes to use

19. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

You could argue that 2010 Lakers with predominant Kobe volume shooting is the last team to win in spite of stats, numbers, etc. Who knows how the super team of Kobe, Nash, Gasol, and Howard would have worked though...

The abundance of 3 point shot attempts and stretch 4s really morphed the game. Throw in a cutter and competent big man; you got a team nowadays.

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i'm surprised this hasn't taken off sooner. considering how many of the owners are from finance you would think analytics would have taken over sooner

i think the big tradeoff with a stretch 4 is that generally stretch 4s aren't good at defending (cuz either you have a small forward/shooting guard in a power forward body or you're trying to change a traditional 4 into a guy who can shoot threes) or simply by being on the perimeter as a stretch 4 means less kobe assists

also Kobe on the latest BS Report and honestly i'm enjoying it