• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i didn't read everything (wall of text dear mother of god), but i somewhat agree with brothersport. westbrook is a problem, not the problem. the problem is the terrible offensive sets brooks has the thunders doing. west brook's last non pass isn't a big factor in the big scheme of things. sure yeah you should probably get the ball to the best shooter on the court/world, but if you're a pretty good shooter yourself defended by a guy a lot smaller than you quite a bit away i don't think it's a terrible decision to shoot it yourself.

i think they just need to work with westbrook over the summer to try and get him to understand which shots are higher value than others. which is a really tricky line and hard to learn but with these sports vu cameras i think they can do quite a bit

i dont understand how KD couldn't take advantage of CP3. doc rivers talked about it a little saying their goal was to get KD to post up instead of shooting or driving which he's better at

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some of the replays, when nobody was looking, cp3 was grabbing and holding him and generally staying right underneath him where he couldn't move his legs easily and was always a little off balance. shut him right down. only got 40 points. that is one amazing shooter. does westbrook remind anyone else a little of derrick rose?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

some of the replays, when nobody was looking, cp3 was grabbing and holding him and generally staying right underneath him where he couldn't move his legs easily and was always a little off balance. shut him right down. only got 40 points. that is one amazing shooter. does westbrook remind anyone else a little of derrick rose?

more of a young kobe for me. he didn't come into the league with as good as shooting form as kobe, but he's worked on it. and WB averages 80%+ from the FT line.

he reminds me of young kobe in the sense that his hero ball mentality is almost at par with his actual talent so its something you may actually never want to give up (hence the fact that he'll probably never be traded until there's a massive flame up with personality clashes with durant).

it would be fascinating to see him in a derrick rose type of situation where he really was the 1st option alpha dog volume shooter though.

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

more of a young kobe for me. he didn't come into the league with as good as shooting form as kobe, but he's worked on it. and WB averages 80%+ from the FT line.

he reminds me of young kobe in the sense that his hero ball mentality is almost at par with his actual talent so its something you may actually never want to give up (hence the fact that he'll probably never be traded until there's a massive flame up with personality clashes with durant).

it would be fascinating to see him in a derrick rose type of situation where he really was the 1st option alpha dog volume shooter though.

I'm reminded of the story about Phil Jackson being asked why he didn't reign in a young Kobe who had just missed an ill-advised shot or several. Jackson supposedly said that Kobe's next-level aggressiveness was the thing that really set him apart, and that he'd live with the excesses rather than risk taking that away.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting. i can see mentally how he is more like a young kobe. physically, and as far as his floor game is concerned, i don't think kobe ever had that kind of speed and i don't remember him relishing contact the way westbrook seems to.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CP3 so handsy, so aggressive. Refs never call that contact on a smaller player going up against a bigger one (Rondo/Barea on LBJ, for example), and they're sure as hell not gonna call it on a superstar (Paul). Paul is such a smart, smart player.

https://twitter.com/Lockedonsports/status/465860862217957376
"CP3 switches on Durant at 10:49 of 4th. Steals ball on 1st possession. Durant takes 2 dribbles the rest of the game. Scared to dribble"

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on the other hand, iirc, he'll make $7 million for sitting on his couch. a new definition of "mailbox money".

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's funny because CP3 picked up Durant late in Game 3 too and it didn't work then, Durant just kept shooting over him or CP3 would foul him on the shot attempt.

i think the second part is the key. how far will the refs let him push? it's definitely playing with dynamite because the one thing you don't want to do is put him on the line.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lol Mike Brown got fired. CLE hired a new GM so Brown is out after the first friggin year of his 5 yr/$20 mil contract.

His agent must LOOOOOVE him. He's literally going to get paid by 3 teams if he works anywhere next season.

i think under the CBA you get paid by former team until you get re-hired by another. so your contracts don't overlap (which would be awesome though). Its kind of like alimony payments to the ex wife, you're on the hook until she gets married again - then she's the next husband's problem.

Last edited:

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i think under the CBA you get paid by former team until you get re-hired by another. so your contracts don't overlap (which would be awesome though). Its kind of like alimony payments to the ex wife, you're on the hook until she gets married again - then she's the next husband's problem.

I could be wrong but I don't think so. That's sorta the way the amnesty works for players, but I think coaches' deals are fully guaranteed regardless.

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/465936266190946304
https://twitter.com/DragonflyJonez/status/465940745052909568 (not an NBA expert by any means but a hilarious follow.

Btw Chris Broussard tweeted that his "sources" said Mike Brown was getting fired literally after the Cavs official media report hahahahhahah

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think gilbert arenas is the highest paid NBA player right now. he's getting paid by 2 (? or just the wizards?) teams plus he's playing abroad. or something like that. so i don't think its like alimony

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lol Mike Brown got fired. CLE hired a new GM so Brown is out after the first friggin year of his 5 yr/$20 mil contract.

His agent must LOOOOOVE him. He's literally going to get paid by 3 teams if he works anywhere next season.

I don't think it works that way. If he gets another job then the new team pays his salary while the old team is required to make up the difference if he takes a job for less money so his pay is basically guaranteed at the highest pay while also guaranteed at the longest tenure.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I don't think it works that way. If he gets another job then the new team pays his salary while the old team is required to make up the difference if he takes a job for less money so his pay is basically guaranteed at the highest pay while also guaranteed at the longest tenure.

I don't know how NBA coaching contracts are structured, but what Tex said is pretty much the default rule in basic contract law.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads