1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. diadem

diadem Senior member

You're just nitpicking now. I meant there's no literal publication that outlines a player's value, which you seem to imply with each post you make on contracts. You pull some arbitrary figure out of your ass that you contend teams should never exceed or else the contract is an "albatross", never mind the ballooning salary cap within the next 2 years, never mind that in certain situations teams would be screwed if they were to just let players walk if they sign a lucrative offer sheet elsewhere, never mind that players have proven that they can come back from serious injuries and play at a high level. The guy who had this mentality was Donald Sterling in the late 1990's/early 2000's. Yeah, he was making a pretty hefty profit from the Clippers, but they were dogshit and the laughingstock of the league.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

screw it, I'm going to join in!

whats the kelly blue book price for a 2014 Audi S6 Avant here in the US?

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

NBA teams as a business seem to be consistently overpaying for assets, in part because of the mentality here. This would get all other businessman fired. Your point about Sterling is accurate, he made a profit, which is what businesses are designed to do, you personal views about him aside. An auction would have probably a better analogy, FWIW.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

No idea. Just make your point.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Clueless gon' be clueless.

6. diadem

diadem Senior member

That's such an idfnl thing to say. I explained why I used the reference and why you took it out of context. Also, see LawrenceMD's post above.

I guess you should own the fact that you're a stubborn, penny-pinching ingrate with delusions of one day becoming the next RC Buford.
    So fuck winning, basically...what happened to this "spirit of sport" you were talking about before?

7. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I have no interest at all in becoming a GM.

Part of winning is preventing your team from implosion with bad contracts. And it'll likely happen if you're joining a race to overpay players.

9. wojt

wojt Senior member

^ yeah but sometimes you lose because you do NOT pay your players, example Cuban not willing to pay Nash, and because of that they let Nash just as he was entering his prime

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

suns have a nice legacy with top notch pg: kJ, nash,and now the 3 headed monster

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i miswrote. i was on my phone and half drunk. when i wrote collison vs farmar what i meant to say was (as in i stopped writing and should've written more) i thought last year's bench was bad, but this year's bench is worse (as in this year all they really have is jamal crawford, but last year they also had collison)

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yeah but that's such a nitpicky difference. i would put it within variability. everything is basically the same

oh wait i just actually read the second part. yeah deffo the bench is part of the issue

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

dude that dude is amazing

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Indeed. Sometimes you'll regret the choice, but the Mavs won a chip 4 years after he left.

Including his court demeener. Simmons and Lowe both went after his antics in a way I'm not used to hearing, and a refreshingly direct/accurate assessment. That vine above was just perfect.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Oh yeah Clips is bad both years but this years definitely worse and that is considering 2 years ago they had the best bench in the league before Bledsoe was traded (queue Brothersport w/ "Docs a bad GM post"). This years bench looks even worse because Hawes is suppose to be the "saviour" bench signing but I even miss Ryan "poormans Javale Mcgee" Hollins' defense off the bench.

It's a give or take I guess because with VDN, the Clips bench was #1 but the starters were #12 in the league in 12-13 season. When Doc arrived and he traded Bledsoe for Redick, the bench went down to #25 but the starters jumped to being #1 in 13-14 season.

1 person likes this.
  16. Brothersport

i like simmons' basketball podcasts w/ zach lowe a lot. you can tell simmons watches a ton of basketball, and the one difference-making quality he has as an analyst is that he is never afraid to criticize teams. simmons can get frustrating to listen to sometimes because of his leading questions, and a lot of the time he has a theory fleshed out and is only looking to get confirmation for it from his guest. that's evened out well when he has lowe on, who has never in his life only given one side of a situation.

zach lowe's low post podcasts kind of annoy me sometimes. as a host, he always wants to have a discussion w/ the guests, which can get complicated w/ the delay when talking over the phone. i think it works best face-to-face (i.e. no interruptions) or if you just ask questions and let the guest speak, like a normal interview. it's weird to me to have van gundy on as a guest twice a year and then take up 40% of the time w/ your own voice. it's a different case in simmons/lowe podcasts, where it happens much more frequently, so it can be more of a conversation.

lowe also wants to cover all the bases all the time, which is what i think you're getting at, neo. he takes forever to ask any question. i actually have the same problem w/ jon stewart. ugh, just finish the question already!

1 person likes this.
  17. Brothersport

hey man, all i know is that yesterday i only watched the 2nd quarter of lac-okc and i saw turkoglu literally take a handoff and immediately dribble it off his own leg for an okc fast break, and then big baby got bumped in the back by white collison while not paying attention during a rebound and immediately screamed and crumpled to the ground and flop over like a dropped sack of old donuts in the wind :lol:

1 person likes this.
  18. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

^ Haha exactly, I thought it was just me. With Bill -- when he makes outrageous statements -- you can tell it's somewhat tongue-in-cheek knowing that at the end of the day, the media and analysts AKA Grantland can't predict the future. Lowe just comes off as taking things waaaaay too seriously. As in-depth as his articles are, they bore me after a while. The NFL guys on Grantland are good, I think. They do a good job having fun with the content while tackling the Xs and Os.

19. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

They do the best when they're together. I agree, Lowe does digress on his own show.

I rather like the Simmons interview, he asks questions I want to know the answer to.

The Jalen and Jacoby pod needs work. Jacoby especially, he just seems to kiss Jalen's ass the whole show.

20. dopey

dopey Senior member

I didn't see much discussion on this, but last week, the Nets beat the Knicks in a game with playoff implications. Since the Nets are now 3-0 against the Knicks, they have clinched the regular season four-game series. That means in the event the Knicks and Nets are tied for the last playoff spot in the East, the Nets automatically get the berth.