1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

No. CP3 is the same stats wise advanced and box.

Stats wise I feel like gasol and millsap is indeed better than griffin but I feel like griffin is playing well despite his team whereas gasol and millsap have a team and coach around them that plays to their strengths and minimizes their weaknesses. Outside of griffin, CP3, and DJ basically all they have are bench players that are sometimes ok. Hawks are incredibly deep and their play style gives millsap spacing. Gasol is basically their anchor on defense but on offense he's good because the plays they run through him and because they have a good combo of cutters and shooters

2. indesertum

I don't like Simmons' articles because they are way too try hard but I really like his podcasts because it's a fun balance of homerism, knowledge, but also the right amount of lack of knowledge that he asks smart questions

3. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

I definitely remember someone saying this is one of this worst in years, he isn't up there in steals and his isn't scoring as much. Still the best in ast to to ratio but I recall someone saying everything else is down?

As for the teams bench, you can't really use that as a fault or to prop up Blake, CP3 and Deandre, they had one of the best bench last year and you wouldn't say they are worst last year than this year or vice versa?

Again I love Deandre but as Brothersport (?) pointed out earlier, he wasn't even in the top 10 of defense something (I forget). I just don't see him being part of the "big 3" int he Clips, he is there by default but I just don't see that in this team. When people dub teams big 3 I think of "Kobe, Pau and Bynum", the Heatles, "Love, Irving and Lebron", etc...

Gasol has definitely taken over games, I've seen it too often against the Clips and Lakers. I think Foodguy could coroborate on this, I fele he is probably one of the few who has seen as many Clips and Lakers games to know how it feels. :lol: Like Clips would get close then Marc sink multiple jumpshots and then defend Blake or Pau on the other end preventing a score. Or Marc posts up, gets fouled, fade away and make the shot and free throw for a 3 point play.

I've also seen Zach get offensive rebound and score to either kill the other teams momentum or simply bring the whole team back up.

These two bigs can definitely dominate and change the games just like Blake. Blake is just more explosive but it wasn't even until last year that everyone saw him as a legit "PF". Most analyst like Barkley (and many here actually) thought he is going to be the next Dwight Howard but proved them wrong by actually improving his jumpshot and free throws.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  4. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed how Zach Lowe has a tendency to always ask a variation of....

"Blake and CP3 aren't playing that well this season, is it just me?"

"Atlanta is going on this unbelievable tear throughout the NBA, am I seeing things?"

"I could be wrong but the Thunder might not make the playoffs, does that seem likely?"

1 person likes this.
  5. indesertum

I dunno. That three point play happened once. I thought clips bench last year wasn't that great just great on name value and on paper. Also collision vs farmar. Who do they really have outside of Jamal Crawford?

Kunk was arguing cp3 was playing his worst according to an eye test (and admittedly he was lazy first half a lot) but all his stats are pretty much exactly the same

I dunno. I feel like your standard for a superstar is lower. Would you consider millsap, boogie, or westbrook a superstar? I feel like gasol is in that range and Zach a lot lower. I would consider them a tier lower. In my mind superstars are like the top 6 players

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  6. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

That 3-point play happened more than once but even ignoring that he has dominated many 4th quarters against the Clips and Lakers. You got to remember that the Clips and Grizz have had a few playoffs series battles outside of regular season games. IIRC two years in a row, one 7-game and the other 6-game?

And the Clippers bench was definitely WAY WAY better lats year. You cannot fathom how big of a difference Collison is to Farmar. Hell Collison won that playoff game against the OKC. Darren sparks the bench the same way Bledsoe does, Farmar just chucks up 3s and not much else. Farmar was so bad that he plays 10 minutes less than Collison because he can't defend and he can't score and he can't facilitate. Collison could, on defense alone is far and away better than Farmar, Doc was able to play CP3 and Collison so that CP3 doesn't have to guard the other teams PG. Farmar is so bad he had to be let go int he middle of the season. Last years bench tended to increase the lead, this years blows it. Hawes is the biggest addition this year and they expected similar numbers to his healthy self from the Sixers but that hasn't shown up. After that, all that is left is Crawford.

I mean really int he end you can't even compare Farmar to Collison, it's a landslide win for Collison all the way. Not even close.

Just google "Clippers Bench" and you'd probably see several articles on how bad they are this year and how most thought they were improving the bench and why most analyst got the Clips picked to be moving on from the West.

I would definitely consider Cousins and Westbrook Superstars, Milsap probably tittering the line but he is right there. I don't think my standard is lower, just different.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

And finally just looked at CP3s stats and some are down. Points, Assist and Steals are all down. PER is also down from 25.9 last year to 24.6 this year.

I am not expert in stats but if you can check the difference between this years bench versus last years and I am almost certain you'll see a difference there.

8. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

And then there's all this talk about a max deal. Interesting dynamics.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Yes you got to be part of the "big 3" to be a max deal player despite the name meaning absolutely nothing other than just a name. :brick:

1 person likes this.
  10. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Anyways, Kings coach supposedly met with the front office last night and now George Karl is being looked at as the next coach to start as soon as Tuesday.

1 person likes this.
  11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

I know

I know

:(

1 person likes this.
  13. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

A "big 3" is usually interpreted as the best 3 players. If DJ is not one of them, then I wonder how people can think he's worthy of a max.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  14. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

:brick: :facepalm:

Um no. "Big 3" is a label (just a label) if the team has 3 elite or superstars in the team. If the "big 3" simply meant the 3 best players in every team then that means every team has a "big 3".

Hell why stop at "big 3", why not "big 5" and that would be the teams starting line-up? Why not the "big 6" if you have the 6th man of the year?

I'm not even going to entertain another back & forth with you on Jordans contract.

I swear I don't want to fall for the trap goddamnit!

1 person likes this.
  15. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Does this really need to be spelled out for you? The NBA isn't some used car market where there's a Kelley Blue Book price on each player. Supply and demand, bruh. How many centers lead the league in blocks while also having the highest FG% and average double-figure scoring?

16. LawrenceMD

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

I know, but...

I feel like other people come into this thread expecting us to roast him and we'd be doing everyone an injustice if we just started ignoring him.

1 person likes this.
  18. LawrenceMD

don't be so quick to get trapped.

:laugh: .... keep fighting the good fight!

I was watching the Hawks Warriors game and did anyone notice how the damn hawks arena organist was going off? Motherfucker was jamming the whole 48min.

edit: ah ok so the Hawks organist name is Sir Foster and he's been jamming hard pre bandwagon (circa 2011). :teach:

1 person likes this.
  19. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

^ Yeah he was on "The Starters" one night and he played throughout the entire show,, no joke. His rendition of "Don't Tell 'Em" is great

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

2 people like this.
  20. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I understand the obvious. I find it funny that a guy vying for a max deal wouldn't be considered an elite player/part of a 'big 3'. What humors seems important to some of you. And Kelly Blue Book prices are based on supply and demand, bruh.