1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. jet

jet Senior member

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Tim has already taken a pay cut, and is still producing. I'd give him a 2 yr around the same $.

Manu's never been a favorite of mine; I'd give him a lower salary or the same money, take it or leave it.

Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard need to be PAID and kept at whatever is reasonable- Green probably at 9 or even 10 mm, Kawhi at whatever he wants w/in reason and close to Duncan.

Parker needs to take a cut to keep the team together.

Pop already signed a "mutiyear" extension last summer. But no one knows for how long. He turns 66 today so I'll guess 3 or 5.

I don't understand why they've paid Diaw and Splitter what they have. I'd be giving them restructuring offers, again to keep the team together.

Overall, given what those 2 got, I'm thinking the organization is willing to spend more $. Which it will need to do.

I think your ideas regarding Duncan are good, just a little premature.

Spurs need to replace him with a big name free agent when the time comes- but how or who?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  4. diadem

diadem Senior member

Bill Simmons in his trade value article said Nikola Pekovic, but he's obviously not a big name and he's already pushing 30. He's serviceable, though.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

We're not far apart save for Leonard and Green.

Perhaps a pay cut with Duncan involves playing fewer games, or something, or only home games.

Regarding his eventual replacement, I'd start by taking a shot at drafting the best PF available at the time, who knows. Per Pekovic above, since they have Splitter, they need to draft a more traditional PF, not necessarily a center. Milsap probably isn't going to want to leave his situation in ATL. If you give a rookie a year to show some spark, that takes you to 2016, but there is almost nobody coming available to fill that spot, and not a lot of trade options. Could Aron Baynes be the solution sitting right on the bench already?

6. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

aron baynes is 28 lol
    what do you mean by this?

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

lol Baynes is 28. Um, ok. Do you have a point to make?

8. diadem

diadem Senior member

Yeah, the NBA isn't like the NFL where you can restructure deals. Once the contract is agreed to between management and the player, it's set in stone. That's why the amnesty is so important for teams. And also why Gilbert Arenas is laughing all the way to the bank as he continues to get paid through 2016 even though he hasn't played since 2013.

9. Brothersport

lol snark only works if you have something smart to say behind it. the point is obvious. baynes isn't "the solution."

maybe boozer is the solution in los angeles!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You're looking to be clever. It isn't really panning out.

11. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

I would be the best GM - I'd offer every all star the league minimum and tell them they'd make it back in endorsements. Oh, and I'd make them donate 100% of their salary to charity you know, because it's good for the community. Pretty sure I'd win executive of the year. The key is telling the players they need to take less to "keep the team together." Those magic words convince everybody to take less than market value. I wouldn't mention that the owners are making a killing.

3 people like this.
  12. Brothersport

that was the best part of all this dumb gm stuff, "get the other guys on the team to pressure kawhi into taking less" bahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahaahahahhahahaha

13. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Obviously, idnfl loves his NBA2K games. So much so that he can't disassociate it with reality.

14. Brothersport

alternate theory: idfnl's real-life coworkers banded together and convinced him to take a pay cut for the greater good of the company. in other news: cousins got kobe's spot. lillard snubbed. i listened to the notorious jvg on zach lowe's podcast and they brought up a good point. if there were ever a year to sign someone to a max deal, this is the offseason. the cap is going up 20 million the offseason after that, so any max deal that gets signed this upcoming year only can increase some certain % on a yearly basis, and is going to be worth like 25% less than any max deal signed the year after. you know what that means! Kawhi, YOU get a max, Jimmy, YOU get a max, Draymond, YOU get a max, A. Ron Baynes, YOU get a max! holy crap jason kidd can coach.
    The Bucks have the second-best DRtng in the NBA. Last year they were second-worst. Giving up 9.6 fewer points per 100 poss. Props!
    — Kelly Scaletta (@KellyScaletta) January 30, 2015

15. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I don't know what's so surprising about Kidd being a capable coach though. He really turned it around after Sodagate last year. He took a prehistoric Brooklyn Nets team to the second round. Give him a halfway decent team and he will give you results.

16. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    watched the last quarter of that Laker game. there are some games you're just going to win no matter what. this looked like one of those. They collapsed twice and hung on only with miracle baskets. their pgs were beyond useless (did you see how they reacted to the press? like high school kids), and there was little to no ball movement. dribble the clock out, throw up a prayer and hope. sometimes that works. at least they didn't lose 10 in a row. nice to hear Pau got a warm welcome. one of the classiest athletes i've been around. and a great player, no matter what some say. puts up a solid 20 and 12 year-in and year-out. and everyone who coaches him says something along the lines of "i knew he was good, but I was surprised by how many different things he does so well." yeah, i'm a pau fan boy.

17. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I felt that last few minutes of the regulation was very badly coached by Byron. Clarkson, the rookie PG, just couldn't handle the pressure and gave up turnovers that led to OT. I felt like Lin played well in the 4th and handles the ball much better and they probably could have hold on to that lead and win in regulation.

Ok I get it, he wanted Clarkson to get some experience, somewhat acceptable but what was even more astounding was that Sacre was in there for Boozer (who was also pumped up and was playing well in the fourth against a former team). There was no way Sacre is there for experience and Byron didn't even think about putting Boozer in the 2 OTs, Sacre only fouled out so he inserted Boozer in (finally). Seemed like Bryon just blacked out in the last 13-14 minutes of the game and was clueless on how to coach.

He got lucky that the Bulls had a struggling Rose (dude couldn't make a shot and had another ast-to-TO ratio again) and missed the exact same game winning shot, the same shot he made against GSW.

18. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Forgot to post about this when the Clips played the Suns about the Morris twins contract (probably posted already):

Apparently the Suns said "we have this amount to pay for both of you" and then let them decide how to split it up. The commentators wondered what they were going to do once one of them or both of them gets married.

19. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  20. Brothersport

bruh it's not a joke if i just point out what you've said in the past :laugh: