NBA 2009-2010 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Oct 7, 2009.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

lakers have absolutely no answer for westbrook. slips right through. maybe lakers should play zone 100% of the time??

The zone is more vulnerable to 3's and OKC isn't the team you want to take that risk on especially with Durant and Westbrook. You saw that facial he gave Fisher behind the arc? That probably won the game for them.

As for Kobe, I still believe he gets the least preferrential calls. He often drives and gets hit several times and not get a call. It is probably partially his fault since he over-reacts at times swinging his arms everywhere or flailing about. Plus Kobe was just defended too well by Durant. He kept up with him on drives and he is too long that it disrupts his jumpshots.

2. fairholme_wannabe

fairholme_wannabe Senior member

For once, I agree with Kevin Garnett....

"it's like we were playing Michael Fucking Jordan out there"

to my eye, it seems like Durant gets all these calls because he's so skinny and gangly...they called some BS foul on Artest when all he was doing was playing strond D and Durant bounced off him like a rag doll.

I know the Lakers will win this series, but I'm starting to seriously doubt their chances of even MAKING the finals.

You do realize that Kobe has shot a total of 3 less free throws in the series than Durant? Outside of Game 1, Artest hasn't been in any real foul trouble. It's not like Durant gets a ton more calls as a proportion of the number of possessions he's involved in than any other superstar in the league--especially for someone who predicates his game on getting to the line.

OKC could point to some pretty egregious calls occuring in games 1 & 2 as well--it's not like officiating hasn't swung both ways.

In my opinion, after Game 6 of the 2002 WCF, no Lakers fan should EVER be able to criticize a ref for 'prefential treatment' of a player/team.

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

The zone is more vulnerable to 3's and OKC isn't the team you want to take that risk on especially with Durant and Westbrook. .

yeah but taking 3s all game would be better than having them drive in and layup all night. wouldnt it be better to have them 'live and die by the 3'? their fg percentage would falter at some point

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    ugh, just ugh. that was an ugly, ugly game (from a laker point of view ... a virtual mona lisa if you live in oklahoma city ... so here's my question: the lakes go up and dominate by getting the ball inside in teh first 5 minutes of the first quarter. they are rolling. and then they end up shooting a playoff record number of 3s? wtf? gasol shoots like 65% and gets 12 touches? bynum shoots about the same and gets 9? fewer shots than artest? and while it's easy to point the finger at kobe, it did seem to me that a lot of his shots came when he got the ball with the shot clock winding down and four other guys standing and staring and wondering what he was goingn to do next.
    they played a really good defensive game for most of it (westbrook is going to get his; durant is going to get his) ... but if they can't get the offense rationalized, they're going to be in real trouble. this has been an issue all season and I kept thinking they'd play their way through it. but it's getting kind of late for that to happen.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

yeah but taking 3s all game would be better than having them drive in and layup all night. wouldnt it be better to have them 'live and die by the 3'? their fg percentage would falter at some point

There are teams I wouldn't mind seeing living and dying by the 3's and OKC, Suns, Mavs and Magic are the teams I wouldn't want to give that opportunity. Durant alone will kill you in 3's and then add Westbrook and Jeff Green, Sefolosha and Harden. I mean if you look at it, OKC shot their best 3point game last night (8-19) and that is with them defending the 3s. They were 7-35 in 3's in the first 2 games and lost, although in a close game. You give them more opportunities to shoot more 3's, especially wide open ones and the Lakers would be toast.

Speaking for 3's, the Lakers needs to stop shooting them. They shot it behind the arc well in the 4th but 10-31? I know it helped in game 1 but it just gets worst afterwards.

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

yeah. i dont see this faring too well with the lakers. this is a tough first round series. it feels like a western conf semi or finals. i hope we exit from this unscathed. please. is there any hope?

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Don't hold your breathe, the whole Lakers playoff run will be like this. I honestly thought OKC would be their easiest opponent but by the looks of it, the Lakers wants to keep their fans on the edge of their seats every game. It's only going to get tougher on the next round and so on.

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

9. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

^^^

Awesome picture.

10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

that would be the worst fisting ever...

DPOY
    [​IMG]

11. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

The zone is more vulnerable to 3's and OKC isn't the team you want to take that risk on especially with Durant and Westbrook. You saw that facial he gave Fisher behind the arc? That probably won the game for them.

As for Kobe, I still believe he gets the least preferrential calls. He often drives and gets hit several times and not get a call. It is probably partially his fault since he over-reacts at times swinging his arms everywhere or flailing about. Plus Kobe was just defended too well by Durant. He kept up with him on drives and he is too long that it disrupts his jumpshots.

The thing about zone is that it wouldn't just lead to more 3s by OKC; the mid-range jump shots that result would KILL the Lakers. Durant could easily flash into the post area and get his shot any time he wanted. The main reason that he's shooting so poorly this series is Artest's tough man-to-man defense. Zone would get rid of all that. There's a reason why zone is rarely played in the lig, all things considered.

ugh, just ugh. that was an ugly, ugly game (from a laker point of view ... a virtual mona lisa if you live in oklahoma city ... so here's my question: the lakes go up and dominate by getting the ball inside in teh first 5 minutes of the first quarter. they are rolling. and then they end up shooting a playoff record number of 3s? wtf? gasol shoots like 65% and gets 12 touches? bynum shoots about the same and gets 9? fewer shots than artest? and while it's easy to point the finger at kobe, it did seem to me that a lot of his shots came when he got the ball with the shot clock winding down and four other guys standing and staring and wondering what he was goingn to do next.
    they played a really good defensive game for most of it (westbrook is going to get his; durant is going to get his) ... but if they can't get the offense rationalized, they're going to be in real trouble. this has been an issue all season and I kept thinking they'd play their way through it. but it's getting kind of late for that to happen.

The Lakers have been far better at defense than offense all year. I didn't think they played amazing on defense (great on Durant, abysmal on Westbrook, and mediocre on everyone else, who shot ~50%). I think Kobe deserves the finger pointing in the 4th. He went 2-10 in the 4th! Durant was guarding him basically the whole time and it was obvious that nothing was going in for him. But he takes a shot a minute for the 1st 8 minutes of the quarter, before they start working the ball around. Also, in the 2nd Q, when the Thunder started their run back, the Lakers got real stagnant when all they have to do is throw the ball in the post. Do they ever call plays for Gasol and Bynum when the team is struggling? Sure doesn't seem like it.

12. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Go Spurs Go.

Lurch scores 35 and they still can't win! Dallas is being exposed as having only 2 scorers- Terry and Dick.

Spurs have 5.

Question is will they make back to Dallas.

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Question is will they make back to Dallas.

I'm pretty sure they will be back to Dallas, game 5 is in Dallas.
    Good win by the Spurs, yeah I said it. [​IMG]
    I can't believe they left Butler in the bench for the whole second half. No matter how well Barea was playing, there is no way I would leave my second option scorer on the bench the whole second quarter. I don't know why Dampier is preferred over Haywood either.

Wow at Miami. I thought they had that game locked but the actor did it again and without faking an injury this time around. Wade needs to drive the damn ball too, he had the Kobe effect in him taking the final shot behind the arc. He needs to drive since he has the speed and athleticism to maneuver a shot. AT least there would have been a chance to get a foul too. Miami might win the next game but they are out for sure.

Another big surprise, Denver is getting killed by Utah. Enough said.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

wow.
    i knew spurs would take their series. and for some reason i knew utah would have some chances without martin in the lineup their not as tough.

im still hoping portland will ttake back the series too.

oops, martin is in the lineup. oh well, i dont watch their games so didnt realy know

15. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

I don't blame Wade for that game...he did all he could. He doesn't even shoot 3s and he drained a bunch. Watching him is like watching Kobe a few years ago, isn't it...

Denver can't guard a pick and roll worth shite, and Utah's arena scares the bejeezus out of all refs. It's really aggravating.