• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2009-2010 Season Thread

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
It's to try to encourage a 7game series. Assuming the team without homecourt needs the extra help to stay in the series. Maybe lose the first 2 on the road and then win 2/3 at home. The problem is that right now with the celtics arguably playing better than the lakers because they sandbagged the regular season, if they steal 1 in LA, then they could close it at home in game 5.

If the Lakers can't win one out of three in Boston, they don't deserve to be champs anyway.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I read that it is mostly due to cost. It is more expensive for broadcasters and crew to travel from West to East back to back to back between game 4-5-6-7 so they made it that format. It is supposedly too far apart for the most part so they are sticking to that format to be more cost effective. I figure they could just keep one set of crew/equipment in LA and one set of crew/equipment in Boston but I guess they are trying to be too cheap?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
If the Lakers can't win one out of three in Boston, they don't deserve to be champs anyway.

obviously

It's a trade off though. The celtics arguably have the first 5 game advantage. If they can get a 3-2 league that's huge. Though in reality probably not that big a deal. Most the time the home court thing is important but dramatically overrated and in the playoffs especially the home team usually wins because they were the better team (which is why they had home court advantage in teh first place)

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I read that it is mostly due to cost. It is more expensive for broadcasters and crew to travel from West to East back to back to back between game 4-5-6-7 so they made it that format. It is supposedly too far apart for the most part so they are sticking to that format to be more cost effective. I figure they could just keep one set of crew/equipment in LA and one set of crew/equipment in Boston but I guess they are trying to be too cheap?
That's possible too. Though i guess i didn't expect the travel costs to be dramatically different in terms of equipment for finals and semifinals. Maybe they assume the teams will be really far away (east vs west) but still strange that the finals is different from the rest of the playoffs. When did that start? I thought it used to be like that, then they switched back, now back to 2-3-2. Might be remembering long as i didn't research

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this god dam series better start soon, we're running out of stuff to talk about
lol8[1].gif

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
this god dam series better start soon, we're running out of stuff to talk about
lol8[1].gif

i want to have a body like average NBA negro. will doing only burpees be enough?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, here's something to read (and discuss) while we wait for Thursday night. Very interesting read to say the least.

Kobe's revival right on time

Just call it the Half a Year Ago Finals.

As of Christmas Day, it wasn't hard to picture the Lakers and Celtics meeting in the Finals. The two teams both came out of the gate smoking at 23-5, but their late-season fades didn't seem to offer great omens for the playoffs. As nearly everyone has already noted, Boston gave virtually no hint of its playoff dominance between Christmas and mid-April, limping in with a 27-27 mark in its final 54 games.

What's less well known, however, is that the Lakers followed a similar path. Like Boston, L.A. ended Christmas Day with a 23-5 mark, but was ho-hum from that point forward. The Lakers were only 34-20 over their final 54 games, and just 16-12 after the All-Star break.

Moreover, their star player exaggerated the trend line even more. Kobe Bryant was at the fore of the MVP discussion entering the new year, averaging more than 30 points a game. But he staggered to the finish line at just 27.0. He'd made nearly half his shots from the field and 85 percent from the stripe over the first two months, but wouldn't approach those numbers the rest of the season.

His slow start to 2010 was disturbing enough, but the way he closed the regular season had to really have the Lakers faithful worried. In his final three games, Bryant shot 5-of-23, 8-of-24, and 8-of-23, while multiple observers noted that physically, he looked far less explosive than usual as a result of injuries to his knee and ankle.

Not exactly the way L.A. wanted to enter the playoffs, in other words, and it's why the defending champs seemed to be so vulnerable when the postseason began. The final seven regular-season games Bryant played for the Lakers included only two victories, neither of which hinged on big efforts from Bryant -- he shot 5-for-23 in a win over Utah and labored to 17 points to help beat Houston.

The other five games included home losses to Portland (without Brandon Roy) and San Antonio (by 19); a road loss to New Orleans during a stretch in which the Hornets went 3-13, a blowout loss in Oklahoma City, and another pasting in Atlanta that ended with the Hawks' bench exploding in hysterics while Jason Collins made his third basket of the season in garbage time.

As with the Celtics, they were former champions, but their championship run seemed anything but preordained. The Lakers were struggling, and more specifically, so was Bryant.

The Portland loss seemed specially worrisome -- the playoffs were just six days away and Bryant had sat out the previous two games in order to get better. Instead, it seemed he regressed, needing 23 shots to score 20 points and having so little elevation that Nicolas Batum blocked one of his deliveries flat-footed.

This all changed, however, once Bryant got a chance to rest up.

He sat out the final two regular-season games, and got another two days off before the playoffs started ... and then, in the first round, he played only once in five days between Games 4 and 6. All told, he played only five games in 18 days. Since he had a week off prior to the Portland game, it added up to just six contests in nearly a month.

There was a cost to this -- the Lakers had to abandon the pursuit of home-court advantage in a potential Finals rematch with Orlando, and had Boston not staged a playoff renaissance of its own it could have proved costly in the coming days. Instead, it's a non-factor.

The benefits, on the other hand, have been massive. That time, along with a draining of fluid in his knee at some undisclosed point along the way, apparently allowed Bryant's physical ailments to vanish into the ether.

As a result, he's in the midst of an amazing turnaround. After looking so feeble in early April, Bryant was doing his best Michael Jordan impersonation by the end of May. Phoenix was a game opponent in the conference finals, but Bryant simply crushed the Suns with a virtuoso performance -- 33.7 points, 8.3 assists, 7.2 rebounds and an outburst of you've-gotta-be-kidding-me jumpers down the stretch of the clinching Game 6 in Phoenix.

His performance against Phoenix continued what's been a dominating 11-game run, one that followed the lightly scheduled 18-day stretch that allowed him to recuperate after the Portland game.

How dominating? Consider this: Even Kobe rarely has played at this level. He scored at least 30 points in 10 of his last 11 games, something he hadn't done in the regular season or playoffs since January 2006.

More generally, if you permit me the luxury of cherry-picking the 11-game stretch starting with Game 6 of the Oklahoma City series, this is the best he's ever played in the playoffs by any measure you want to use. Highest scoring average, best player efficiency rating, best shooting percentage, most assists, best 3-point shooting ... by all of those standards, this last 11-game stretch trumps any other Bryant postseason.

In particular, the exact thing that seemed most lacking about this game in April, the elevation on his midrange jumper, has now become other-worldly. In the Phoenix series, the Suns used big defenders (Grant Hill and Jared Dudley) and double-teams to take away Bryant's post-up game, and was very effective doing so.

But it didn't matter because Bryant just kept facing up and shooting contested long J's off the dribble. Normally forcing such a shot is a huge victory for the defense, but Bryant made a mind-blowing 58.0 percent of his long 2-pointers against Phoenix (hat tip to TrueHoop Network's painted area for that one); usually players shoot in the high 30s from this range. Additionally, the threat of his J was strong enough that he drew several fouls on shot fakes.

Bryant had the rest of his game clicking on all cylinders too -- playing tough D, finding open teammates in the zone, crashing the boards, and even hitting catch-and-shoot 3s, which has never been a great strength of his. As a result, a Lakers' offense that ranked only 11th in regular-season offensive efficiency is second only to Phoenix in that category in the playoffs.

What does it mean for the Finals? One could argue that the law of averages will catch up to Bryant on those midrange J's and that a lot more of them will catch the rim against Boston. If so, it's bad news for the Lakers, because the Celtics (as we saw in the 2008 Finals) are unlikely to give him many openings going toward the basket.

Additionally, there's the possibility that those injuries come back to haunt him at some point during the Finals. In particular, draining the knee is a short-term solution that may not provide lasting results.

However, the more likely conclusion is that he's going to be a handful for the next two weeks as well. While he'll be hard-pressed to shoot quite as well against a more stout Celtics defense, he won't have to -- Boston isn't going to light up the scoreboard like the Suns did at the other end.

Moreover, the less-demanding playoff schedule has probably benefited L.A. more than any other team, with Bryant able to nurse himself back to health and Andrew Bynum staying more or less upright, and the Finals are even more extreme. L.A. has four days off before playing Game 1 and then another two to lick its wounds afterward; all told, the Lakers will play once over the course of a week and won't leave town for 10 days.

In other words, all the issues that had us so worried about L.A.'s prospects in early April are likely to remain non-factors for one more series. And if Bryant can shoot anywhere near as brilliantly as he has over the past 11 games, that combination should be enough to allow L.A. to defend its title. Much like the Celtics' run through the East, all of that was very easy to envision in November and December ... and extremely difficult to imagine in the four months that followed.

sunror

Reaction score
i think hc is a pretty big deal here, these teams are fairly even, at least with the celtics playing great d

i cant pick against the lakers' home court

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've been saying all along: the nba season is a marathon, not a sprint. get too wrapped up in the day-to-day (or even the regular season) and you wind up like cleveland, not able to bring it when they need it.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
KB24

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I don't understand that commercial and I hate the music. Here's probably the best commercial I've ever seen. It's about soccer and Kobe makes an appearance.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great commercial, but it still glorifies individual achievement.

i remember this one making the youtube rounds. it shows kobe and other superstars actually doing the work necessary to succeed.

Originally Posted by embowafa
KB24

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
great commercial, but it still glorifies individual achievement.

i remember this one making the youtube rounds. it shows kobe and other superstars actually doing the work necessary to succeed.

That commercial is okay (whatup 2 Asian fast-twitch athletes), but what the hell? This ain't Cuba. Gimme DUNKS.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh. is there a game? i'd forgotten.
buddy called to ask if i was interested in a ticket for game 6, should there be a need for one. now i'm really torn. how hard to i cheer for my lakes? wouldn't it mean for them to win with me there, even if it meant dropping a couple insignificant games along the way? huh?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads