NBA 2009-2010 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Oct 7, 2009.

1. jet

jet Persian Bro

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

sup

2. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

^Won't feed the trolls that way.

I still think the Lakers are going to win the series. The probability that the Suns' bench beats the Lakers' bench (a.k.a. Odom) in LA is much lower, since you got the power of crowd confidence going two ways. Without the bench draining ridiculous amounts of 3s, which based on nothing but my intuition are easier to hit at home, Phoenix's starting unit is not going to play well enough to beat LA's in Socal. LA still has to do a MUCH better job of running the Suns off of the 3-point line. Frye is useless without the 3, Dudley is a lot worse, Richardson becomes more error-prone, etc. 3-pters also lead to long rebounds (18 offensive rebounds for the Suns tonight!).

As for Laker offense, they really aren't doing a bad job despite what everyone says, but you gotta ask Odom and Artest to step off the line and drive the ball. They can create off the dribble and aren't bad inside players whatsoever, so what's the issue? Also, Kobe did a good job dribbling through the zone and creating, as well. Doug Collins also had a good point when they illustrated putting Kobe on the weak side, which basically leaves him or Gasol open easily.

It's honestly no fucking surprise that the general public is rooting against the Lakers. This is one of the cutest, cuddliest underdogs we've seen this far in awhile. Like I said, I rooted for the Lakers last series, will no doubt root against them against the Celts, and would root for them against 14/29 teams in the league (just counted). I loved Kobe doing work in the 2nd Q.

FTFY... since odom is attuned at having lucky shots/errant passes go in. [​IMG]
    lol. Not sure that would help Morrison at this point.

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^what the laker haters have to pray for is that bryant is super pissed after his two mega awesome fantastic games (where he scored/passed/rebounded/played defense) that lead to Laker losses....

so pissed that pouty kobe makes an appearance for game 5. he was in full pout mode during the exit conference blaming the defense (rightly so)... its kind of a knock on bynum (whom was being reprimanded throughout the game). bynum seems to be moving around fine despite his knee injury... wasn't kobe's knee even worse than bynums' just a week ago?

4. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

^I don't think Kobe is going to let the Lakers lose. He couldn't have done much more tonight...at MOST you could say that he should have gotten Pau the ball more in the 4th, but that's not really on him. I was just going to say the exit conference thing; actual quote:
    Naw, we didn't lose the game because of that (4 shots in the 4th); we lost the game cuz our defense sucked.
    It's good to know that after all the media guys concentrated on the zone D, he knows the real problem. That's got to be on their perimeter guys running the shooters down. Gasol clearly can't handle a trying Stoudemire any which way, but those 3s pile up quickly. I remember Bynum clearly limping while running up and down the court. Jumping doesn't seem to be a huge problem, but I think his already limited lateral quickness is clearly suffering. His +/- was a game-worst -16 today. Also, what's Kobe's exact injury? I know he's very secretive, but Bynum has a torn meniscus. Shit's serious, as I'm sure an MD knows.

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I remember Bynum clearly limping while running up and down the court. Jumping doesn't seem to be a huge problem, but I think his already limited lateral quickness is clearly suffering. His +/- was a game-worst -16 today. Also, what's Kobe's exact injury? I know he's very secretive, but Bynum has a torn meniscus. Shit's serious, as I'm sure an MD knows.

slight/micro tear in meniscus is a pain and discomfort issue.. extremely bad pain, but nothing too structurally bad hindering movement. bryant has played through slight meniscus tears just fine... and just wait till the off season to have it cleaned up.

my guess is that bynum has a low pain threshold to the point that even the coach and bryant want him to sit and rest if he's not going to go full speed. it sucks for bynum, because he's probably snake bitten by all the knee injuries he's had and just wants to play even if he's going to be a detriment rather than be the injured guy for the Nth time.

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

^what the laker haters have to pray for is that bryant is super pissed after his two mega awesome fantastic games (where he scored/passed/rebounded/played defense) that lead to Laker losses....

so pissed that pouty kobe makes an appearance for game 5. he was in full pout mode during the exit conference blaming the defense (rightly so)... its kind of a knock on bynum (whom was being reprimanded throughout the game). bynum seems to be moving around fine despite his knee injury... wasn't kobe's knee even worse than bynums' just a week ago?

stop posting

7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

stop posting

lakers will be fine. they just have to hold home court.

8. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

stop posting

Suns Baby Suns

9. limester816

limester816 Senior member

Suns Baby Suns

...coming from a Spurs guy??? just kidding.

Bynum is a huge part of it, but Kobe, as good as his offense was, is part of it too. He could have penetrated the zone more and dished it out-- but instead settled, and made, the long jumpers.

Dragic was scary good, and I could see him easily putting up 20 and 10 next game... Suns don't even need Frye if Barbosa, Dudley, and Hill are shooting well.

I understand why Phil thinks they're doing fine against the zone, because they're putting up 110 pts per game, but honestly, if the Suns are spreading the D and making their 3's, there's not much their defense can do-- especially with Stoudamire and Lopez in the paint.

If the Suns can't make 3's, it's up to Stoudamire, and if he plays like a pansy like in Games 1/2, it's the Lakers' series.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

This series has become so reminiscent of the series against OKC. Seemed like the Lakers are on a roll and then falls on the road. Has the Suns really figured out the Lakers? I guess we'll have to see.

11. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

This series has become so reminiscent of the series against OKC. Seemed like the Lakers are on a roll and then falls on the road. Has the Suns really figured out the Lakers? I guess we'll have to see.

My thinking exactly. The only difference is that OKC actually made close games of the 1st 2 in LA. Suns got played off the court.

The Suns were able to hit some early shots and keep that momentum, which allowed the fans to stay in the game, which influenced the refs to really call the games in PHX's favor...it sort of snowballed.

And in spite all of that, the Lakers were still in both games (with leads) late in the game when PHX was able to get another mini run going to end the game and the Lakers weren't able to respond.

(BTW, not sure if it was the zone, but those last few possessions by the Lakers were dumbfounding....not sure who to blame on that, but just an awful display of offense)

Call me an arrogant Laker fan, but I'm not worried in the least. I do see this series possibly going 7, but the Lakers will hold homecourt.

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Kobe was real upset last night. They just couldn't get the ball into his hands until the end when Kobe had to carry the ball right from take out but they were in deep by then. Pau also wasn't too effective being doubled in the paint, there were definitely several no calls on both Odom and Pau in the 4th, same can be said on some of Amares drives but he did shoot 12 times and it's just a big ft discrepancy. The big difference last night was definitely the bench, compared to the Lakers Suns were dominant. They hit 3's, hustled and just played their brains out. Lets see if they can continue it in LA.

13. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

They hit 3's, hustled and just played their brains out. Lets see if they can continue it in LA.

That's just it. In the NBA bench players can shine at home, but superstars have to carry the team on the road. The first two games, PHO bench was non-existent and Amare & Nash didn't play big enough to carry the team.

It'll be interesting to watch game 5 in LA.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

Lakers will hold homecourt.

i really hope so. i really do hope so.

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Just wondering, is glen davis retarded or something? Is he mentally handicapped or just simple like forrest gump? Just commenting objectively.
    Continue on..

after that huge (inadvertent) elbow from Howard.. glen is now temporarily concussed/retarded now.