• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy trousers

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought there was a thread on these, but the search function turned up nothing.

What are your thoughts on navy pants? Are they appropriate or do they give off that middle-manager aura (read: short-sleeve BD)? Are they seasonal?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them and wear them in the summer and in the winter (flat front chinos).

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have some navy trousers but they probably get worn the least in my rotation. i usually go with black, brown, or khaki.

-Jeff

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't bother me, at all. I like them.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I seem to remember a thread on the subject too.

Navy trousers are fine, but like Jeff above, I find they tend to get worn the least. Been thinking about getting a pair of navy narrow-wale cords for the autumn though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Hard to successfully pair with odd jackets. On the acquisition list, they should be well behind other more versatile classics.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't care for them. I can't really say why. I think I associate them with older men.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. I saw a younger fellow today wearing navy wool trousers, and he looked smart. Maybe I'll give them another chance, if I can find a nice pair of plain wool flat-fronts to try on.

I can't see myself ever buying navy cotton trousers, if only for the way they'd fade.

abc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Hard to successfully pair with odd jackets. On the acquisition list, they should be well behind other more versatile classics.

Any recommendations? I certainly do have trouble matching my pair of navy trousers, though I do like my navy cords a lot and find they work well with many sweaters in the fall/winter.

ATM

Reaction score
There was a thread about them on AAAC. The subject revealed the snobbishness of a few members there.

horton

Reaction score
I think they're extremely versatile, contrary to many of the above posts. They do NOT pair well with dark blue sports jackets but other than that I think they go well with tans, grays and olive-type sports jackets.

In a more casual context, they go great with most shirts and sweaters.

One way to avoid the middle-manager look, is to get a trimmer cut (e.g., some of the Incotex lines or Borrelli).

In fact, almost without exception, you can avoid the middle manager look by simply getting something that fits extremely well (whatever style you prefer). (certain assumptions made, e.g., no dockers logos, no shortsleeve button ups).

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
In fact, almost without exception, you can avoid the middle manager look by simply getting something that fits extremely well (whatever style you prefer). (certain assumptions made, e.g., no dockers logos, no shortsleeve button ups).

Sort of like how gray flannels and a navy blazer can make you look like either Astaire or a security guard...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by abc123
Any recommendations?
First, it depends on what fiber/weight/weave and color(s) of odd jackets you like to wear.

That said, in my view, gray flannel should always be #1. This is THE odd trouser, and perfect with everything. If you can afford to go nuts, it's nice to have them in various weights (say, at least two: 16 ounce and 10 ounce) and colors (medium to light look best, I think). You might also consider a gray twill worsted. Not exciting, but it can be useful. After that, brown cavalry twill is nice, as is tan gabardine. There a lot of cotton choices. For cooler weather, moleskin and corduroy are great, and work in many, many colors. I happen to like olive for corduroy, because it looks good in itself, and I really don't like olive wool. For warm weather, light tan or cream brushed khaki and linen are nice.

mrchapel

Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of navy in and of itself. Despite navy being a staple color for a suit, I do not own one nor do I ever intend to. I guess I only see grays.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
I think they're extremely versatile, contrary to many of the above posts. They do NOT pair well with dark blue sports jackets but other than that I think they go well with tans, grays and olive-type sports jackets.

In a more casual context, they go great with most shirts and sweaters.

One way to avoid the middle-manager look, is to get a trimmer cut (e.g., some of the Incotex lines or Borrelli).

Preach, Funk Master!!

I have Incotex and RLPL navy trousers and the fit is the big distinguishing factor. With brown melange wool sportjackets, they look great. Add a pair of tobacco or brown suede boots or shoes and you'll look dashing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads