Navy trousers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Connemara, Sep 5, 2006.

1. LegB4Wicket

LegB4Wicket Well-Known Member

Another vote in the 'Yea' column. Classic and versitile.

Thumbs up,

LBW

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I think they look outstanding with jackets in the tan and light to medium brown range. Also with gray and gray-green jackets. I find them an attractive versatile addition to my wardrobe--at least the woolens and cords. Lighter cotton slacks in dark blue tend to fade and look crappy much quicker than cottons in other colors in my experience.

3. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I have a tan jacket with a windowpane plaid pattern that only seems to work with navy slacks - although when I purchased it in London, I believe it was shown with green slacks and a checked shirt (not being British, I can't pull that off.)

I find navy slacks to be among the most versatile pairs I own, although I have to agree with JLibourel in that navy cotton slacks are a waste - it only took me one pair of Navy Dockers to learn that lesson.

4. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

i have yet to find the pefect odd jacket to go with my navy wool flat front trousers (I have one incotex and one Jil Sander (no crease)). I usually pair them with burnt orange or coral red slim sweaters. So far, the navy pants go really well with my military green saharienne, but I can't imagine a blazer in this colour [​IMG]

!luc

5. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

I wonder if a dark/mid grey tweed herringbone jacket would be nice with a navy wool pants. I believe it will, but I'm not sure.

!luc

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Slim flat-front navy trousers with a pair of boots, a crisp white shirt, and a grey mid-length trench coat would be nice for a casual outfit.

7. Stu

Stu Senior member

I say 2 thumbs up. But my navy trousers I went M2M, and got a nice slim ff pair. They go great with cordovan loafers and sport shirts for a casual elegant look for Friday at the office. Most navy trouser I see R2W that I like are impossible to find on sale, or they get snapped up off Ebay pretty quickly.

8. ATM

ATM Senior member

Goodness, lucky we don't have that problem here!
    It might have been worse there. I recall one poster showing nothing but contempt for working class people who he thought were the only ones crass enough to wear them.

Personally, I like them and wear them but only in wool. I don't have to worry about matching them to jackets because I rarely wear jackets.

9. Charley

Charley Senior member

I very much like navy trousers with sweaters in many colors. The sweaters are lighter and more colorful. So that trousers in a color, but still dark look pretty good, IMO.

I also like the navy trousers with jackets in grey. I believe they pair very well with the PoW pattern, for example.

10. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Maybe this is just me, but I think you guys are thinking way too much about sport coats to go with pants. I'm not saying just go with a shirt and tie, but a cardigan or other sweater can go pretty well with them without the need for a jacket. That said, I'm probably going to get some flat front navy trousers with a cuff.

11. jml90

jml90 Senior member

They can also look good with just a golf shirt.

12. Fabro

Fabro Senior member

It has very faint stripes and a bit of texture but looks solid from a few feet away. I wasn't sure about them when I initially bought them but they were priced right and they go great with this Corneliani Bamboo coat in a pale blue herringbone pattern I am wearing now (with a white a pale blue check shirt). I love this coat and decided to wear it one last time today before the fall weather (and wardrobe) really kicks in.

[​IMG]

Great looking coat! I almost bought it when Decalo had that big run of 40Rs in July. I'm trying to squeeze out one last wear with the linen blend one I did buy while the weather holds (labour day? What labour day?). It also looks good with blue pants.

13. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

They can also look good with just a golf shirt.
    Golf shirt, polo, whatever you want to call it... yes. I usually prefer it when they have no side vents, that way it's more suitable for tucking in.

14. horton

horton Senior member

Maybe this is just me, but I think you guys are thinking way too much about sport coats to go with pants. I'm not saying just go with a shirt and tie, but a cardigan or other sweater can go pretty well with them without the need for a jacket. That said, I'm probably going to get some flat front navy trousers with a cuff.

Typically, or so I thought, cuffs were for pleated pants and flat front were uncuffed, especially if tapered

15. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Typically, or so I thought, cuffs were for pleated pants and flat front were uncuffed, especially if tapered

I cuff (2 inches) all my flat fronts, and they are slim fitting. I can't imagine going back to wearing them uncuffed. Different strokes.