Navy trousers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Connemara, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Senior member

First, it depends on what fiber/weight/weave and color(s) of odd jackets you like to wear.

That said, in my view, gray flannel should always be #1. This is THE odd trouser, and perfect with everything. If you can afford to go nuts, it's to have them in various weights (say, at least two) and colors (medium to light look best, I think). You might also consider a gray twill worsted. Not exciting, but it can be useful. After that, brown cavalry twill is nice, as is tan gabardine. There a lot of cotton choices. For cooler weather, moleskin and corduroy are great, and work in many, many colors. I happen to like olive for corduroy, because it looks good in itself, and I really don't like olive wool. For warm weather, light tan or cream brushed khaki and linen are nice.

--- This is what I do pretty much. Why go Navy, when you can get so many wonderful shades of gray/grey all the way to gunmetal grey and fabric/patterns and weights...endless and almost always dead on with grey/gray. I also like dark brown for fall / winter, and light tan for spring/summer. An off white linen for hot summer. And evey a lux sheen linen grey/gray for summer nights.

2. Fabro

Fabro Senior member

Preach, Funk Master!!

I have Incotex and RLPL navy trousers and the fit is the big distinguishing factor. With brown melange wool sportjackets, they look great. Add a pair of tobacco or brown suede boots or shoes and you'll look dashing.

I completely agree with Ed here. One of my favorite looks because it's not typical.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I had no idea there was any bias against navy pants here... Navy pants are an absolute wardrobe staple IMO. I own light cotton, heavier twill and cord navy pants and I never thought they looked anything like a short sleeve button-down shirt in a corporate environment. I have no idea where that idea comes from?.. [​IMG]

4. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

I refuse to wear navy cotton pants because I'm convinced they make me look as if I should be pumping gas. In the same vein, I won't wear black pants with a white shirt because that looks like a busboy's uniform. However, I have one pair of navy wool pants with a slight twill pattern that I love to wear. Admittedly, jackets can be a bit tough to match but I have one coppery brown and blue houndstooth that looks great. My favorite shirt with them is an orange twill from Facconable. Chocolate suede shoes really give blue pants a style boost too.

5. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I forgot to mention that I have navy cords as well. I like to wear them with a burnt orange shetland sweater, among other things.

I agree with Manton that they are not the easiest to pair with odd jackets, but I'm usually in shirt sleeves or sweaters anyways.

6. thinman

thinman Senior member

Preach, Funk Master!!

I have Incotex and RLPL navy trousers and the fit is the big distinguishing factor. With brown melange wool sportjackets, they look great. Add a pair of tobacco or brown suede boots or shoes and you'll look dashing.

I agree. I wear this combination frequently and it's a great look. I also turn the navy blazer/gray trouser look on its head and pair navy trousers with gray or black/white herringbone (pseudo-gray) jackets and usually a blue shirt, because I think gray trousers would look odd and charcoal trousers seem uninspired.

I not only own 2 pairs of wool navy trousers (one gabardine and one approximating a flannel), but I've worn navy Lands' End cotton twill trousers for years and it takes years for them to fade significantly.

7. Soph

Soph Senior member

I agree. I wear this combination frequently and it's a great look. I also turn the navy blazer/gray trouser look on its head and pair navy trousers with gray or black/white herringbone (pseudo-gray) jackets and usually a blue shirt, because I think gray trousers would look odd and charcoal trousers seem uninspired.

I not only own 2 pairs of wool navy trousers (one gabardine and one approximating a flannel), but I've worn navy Lands' End cotton twill trousers for years and it takes years for them to fade significantly.

- I want pics of this dammit you guys! I can kinda see the brown/navy etc[​IMG]

8. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Soph, I have some navy/gray flannel trousers, that I absolutely love. The color was called, midnight gray. One of my favorites. Have never once given a thought to navy, as offbeat or unwearable. Same, with black. Love it.

9. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I am currently wearing Navy Zanella flat front wool/silk (93/7) blend trousers in this fabric:

[​IMG]

It has very faint stripes and a bit of texture but looks solid from a few feet away. I wasn't sure about them when I initially bought them but they were priced right and they go great with this Corneliani Bamboo coat in a pale blue herringbone pattern I am wearing now (with a white a pale blue check shirt). I love this coat and decided to wear it one last time today before the fall weather (and wardrobe) really kicks in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In general, I agree that matching navy trousers is tricky but it can look great when done right. Sure, grey is always safe but sometimes you want something a little more out of the ordinary. I have navy linen/cotten slacks that I wear with this coat and with a cream linen jacket. I also have some blue heather flannels I wear with a golden brown sportcoat in fall/winter.

10. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Very, very, very chic. I have an Armani jacket in herringbone, with similar colors. I wear it, with my midnight gray trousers.

11. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Navy pants are a classic good for year around. Vary the fabric and texture to the season and the level of formality.

12. jml90

jml90 Senior member

I think navy trousers look great with a light cream or khaki colored jacket.

13. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

There was a thread about them on AAAC. The subject revealed the snobbishness of a few members there.
    Goodness, lucky we don't have that problem here! Like chorse123 said earlier, I have some in cotton but have not gotten around to buying them in wool. I don't wear them often -- actually very rarely -- but I don't mind them. They have their place like all colours do. Actually, I may wear them more now because of some of the ideas that earlier posts have given me about matching colours.

14. thinman

thinman Senior member

- I want pics of this dammit you guys! I can kinda see the brown/navy etc[​IMG]

Sorry Soph. No digital camera yet. Strangely, all my "disposable" income has gone for clothing recently.[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I agree with the previous thoughts that navy trousers should not be the first choice, but can match if done successfully (I guess it`s still difficult compared to other color trousers though)

I think the combo shown by EL72 is nice.