• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy trousers

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
First, it depends on what fiber/weight/weave and color(s) of odd jackets you like to wear.

That said, in my view, gray flannel should always be #1. This is THE odd trouser, and perfect with everything. If you can afford to go nuts, it's to have them in various weights (say, at least two) and colors (medium to light look best, I think). You might also consider a gray twill worsted. Not exciting, but it can be useful. After that, brown cavalry twill is nice, as is tan gabardine. There a lot of cotton choices. For cooler weather, moleskin and corduroy are great, and work in many, many colors. I happen to like olive for corduroy, because it looks good in itself, and I really don't like olive wool. For warm weather, light tan or cream brushed khaki and linen are nice.

--- This is what I do pretty much. Why go Navy, when you can get so many wonderful shades of gray/grey all the way to gunmetal grey and fabric/patterns and weights...endless and almost always dead on with grey/gray. I also like dark brown for fall / winter, and light tan for spring/summer. An off white linen for hot summer. And evey a lux sheen linen grey/gray for summer nights.

Fabro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Preach, Funk Master!!

I have Incotex and RLPL navy trousers and the fit is the big distinguishing factor. With brown melange wool sportjackets, they look great. Add a pair of tobacco or brown suede boots or shoes and you'll look dashing.

I completely agree with Ed here. One of my favorite looks because it's not typical.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no idea there was any bias against navy pants here... Navy pants are an absolute wardrobe staple IMO. I own light cotton, heavier twill and cord navy pants and I never thought they looked anything like a short sleeve button-down shirt in a corporate environment. I have no idea where that idea comes from?..
confused.gif

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I refuse to wear navy cotton pants because I'm convinced they make me look as if I should be pumping gas. In the same vein, I won't wear black pants with a white shirt because that looks like a busboy's uniform. However, I have one pair of navy wool pants with a slight twill pattern that I love to wear. Admittedly, jackets can be a bit tough to match but I have one coppery brown and blue houndstooth that looks great. My favorite shirt with them is an orange twill from Facconable. Chocolate suede shoes really give blue pants a style boost too.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I have navy cords as well. I like to wear them with a burnt orange shetland sweater, among other things.

I agree with Manton that they are not the easiest to pair with odd jackets, but I'm usually in shirt sleeves or sweaters anyways.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Preach, Funk Master!!

I have Incotex and RLPL navy trousers and the fit is the big distinguishing factor. With brown melange wool sportjackets, they look great. Add a pair of tobacco or brown suede boots or shoes and you'll look dashing.

I agree. I wear this combination frequently and it's a great look. I also turn the navy blazer/gray trouser look on its head and pair navy trousers with gray or black/white herringbone (pseudo-gray) jackets and usually a blue shirt, because I think gray trousers would look odd and charcoal trousers seem uninspired.

I not only own 2 pairs of wool navy trousers (one gabardine and one approximating a flannel), but I've worn navy Lands' End cotton twill trousers for years and it takes years for them to fade significantly.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I agree. I wear this combination frequently and it's a great look. I also turn the navy blazer/gray trouser look on its head and pair navy trousers with gray or black/white herringbone (pseudo-gray) jackets and usually a blue shirt, because I think gray trousers would look odd and charcoal trousers seem uninspired.

I not only own 2 pairs of wool navy trousers (one gabardine and one approximating a flannel), but I've worn navy Lands' End cotton twill trousers for years and it takes years for them to fade significantly.

- I want pics of this dammit you guys! I can kinda see the brown/navy etc
smile.gif

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soph, I have some navy/gray flannel trousers, that I absolutely love. The color was called, midnight gray. One of my favorites. Have never once given a thought to navy, as offbeat or unwearable. Same, with black. Love it.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am currently wearing Navy Zanella flat front wool/silk (93/7) blend trousers in this fabric:

zanellapantshm3.jpg

It has very faint stripes and a bit of texture but looks solid from a few feet away. I wasn't sure about them when I initially bought them but they were priced right and they go great with this Corneliani Bamboo coat in a pale blue herringbone pattern I am wearing now (with a white a pale blue check shirt). I love this coat and decided to wear it one last time today before the fall weather (and wardrobe) really kicks in.

cornelianibamboo1pn2.jpg

cornelianibamboo3jt7.jpg

In general, I agree that matching navy trousers is tricky but it can look great when done right. Sure, grey is always safe but sometimes you want something a little more out of the ordinary. I have navy linen/cotten slacks that I wear with this coat and with a cream linen jacket. I also have some blue heather flannels I wear with a golden brown sportcoat in fall/winter.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very, very, very chic. I have an Armani jacket in herringbone, with similar colors. I wear it, with my midnight gray trousers.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think navy trousers look great with a light cream or khaki colored jacket.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ATM
There was a thread about them on AAAC. The subject revealed the snobbishness of a few members there.
Goodness, lucky we don't have that problem here! Like chorse123 said earlier, I have some in cotton but have not gotten around to buying them in wool. I don't wear them often -- actually very rarely -- but I don't mind them. They have their place like all colours do. Actually, I may wear them more now because of some of the ideas that earlier posts have given me about matching colours.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
- I want pics of this dammit you guys! I can kinda see the brown/navy etc
smile.gif

Sorry Soph. No digital camera yet. Strangely, all my "disposable" income has gone for clothing recently.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the previous thoughts that navy trousers should not be the first choice, but can match if done successfully (I guess it`s still difficult compared to other color trousers though)

I think the combo shown by EL72 is nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads