• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy three-piece suit: twill or herringbone?

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am about to order a navy three-piece bespoke suit. I am set on all the details, but can't decide if I should go for a navy twill or a navy herringbone wool fabric. Hence, a little poll to get some additional inputs on this question.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman
Resolve all doubts: order both.

haha...nice idea...but one three piece is enough ;-)

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like herringbone myself (have one in charcoal) but the more conservative route would probably be twill. What's the suit for?

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
I like herringbone myself (have one in charcoal) but the more conservative route would probably be twill. What's the suit for?

Most formal business settings and generally everything where a tuxedo would be too formal.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming that the twill fabric and the herringbone are the same weight, and would be wearable over the same number of seasons, or in the same temperature ranges, my tendency would be to favor the herringbone. If the herringbone fabric is appreciably heavier than the twill, I would favor the twill, merely for greater versatility.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have both. Can't go wrong.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upr_crust
Assuming that the twill fabric and the herringbone are the same weight, and would be wearable over the same number of seasons, or in the same temperature ranges, my tendency would be to favor the herringbone. If the herringbone fabric is appreciably heavier than the twill, I would favor the twill, merely for greater versatility.

I am thinking about either the herringbone or the twill out of the Scabal Riverside bunch. Both are Super 120s 4 season fabrics of the same weight (290gr).

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upr_crust

Great points here. Twill is more versatile, but herringbone would make more of a statement.

I think herringbone looks great in navy so I would go that route if I already had a staple navy suit.

Gruto

Reaction score
Herringbone is a tad more formal and might be better, if you also want to use your navy suit for evening wear. Serge is for the day to day navy suit. At least, that was what Simon Cundey from Henry Poole told me.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All boils down to how you want to spin the suit -- if focused on bsuinesswear, then the twill; if focused on the less-than-DJ evenings/events, then the herringbone. That said, if in your business you really can wear the waistcoat, then go for the herringbone as it is a small step from standard businesswear compared to the large step that is wearing the waistcoat.

~H

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both...and prefer the Herringbone

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
navy herringbone.

33o.jpg

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
If you are going to wear the waistcoat, get the herringbone. The 'shock' value of the fabric will be offset by the formality of the waistcoat, and you'll simply look very elegant and extremely sharp.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Navy Herringbone suit, no waistcoat, works well in both professional and social situations. However must add its a winter weight suit for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads