• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Suit with Light blue Gingham Shirt

Lowndes

Reaction score
Quick question: I am ordering a light blue gingham shirt from H&H. Here is a link to the actual shirt:

http://www.harvieandhudson.com/produ...w.phtml?id=242

And I plan to wear this with a Navy suit, dark brown C&J Lowndes, white pocket square, and either a deep purple pindot tie or a deep red tie to a wedding. My question is how do gingham shirts look with french cuffs? I've never owned a french cuff shirt before so I do not have much to compare it to.

A little background as to why I am asking a little bit of a silly question. I'm choosing one shirt to get made with french cuffs out of the shirts I just ordered from Harvie & Hudson at their trunk show. I've always liked the look of french cuffs and was actually hoping to get several shirts made with french cuffs but realized for most of my purposes barrel cuffs were more appropriate. I'll be working as a summer associate at a law firm. So, I am just going to get one french cuffed shirt to see how I like them and wear to weddings,fun events, etc. where I don't care as much if somebody considers my dress a little pretentious.

Also, sorry for the long winded and horribly written above paragraph.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dlion0721
Quick question: I am ordering a light blue gingham shirt from H&H. Here is a link to the actual shirt:

http://www.harvieandhudson.com/produ...w.phtml?id=242

And I plan to wear this with a Navy suit, dark brown C&J Lowndes, white pocket square, and either a deep purple pindot tie or a deep red tie to a wedding. My question is how do gingham shirts look with french cuffs? I've never owned a french cuff shirt before so I do not have much to compare it to.

A little background as to why I am asking a little bit of a silly question. I'm choosing one shirt to get made with french cuffs out of the shirts I just ordered from Harvie & Hudson at their trunk show. I've always liked the look of french cuffs and was actually hoping to get several shirts made with french cuffs but realized for most of my purposes barrel cuffs were more appropriate. I'll be working as a summer associate at a law firm. So, I am just going to get one french cuffed shirt to see how I like them and wear to weddings,fun events, etc. where I don't care as much if somebody considers my dress a little pretentious.

Also, sorry for the long winded and horribly written above paragraph.

IMO given two shirts made out of the same exact fabric, I don't think cuffs factor into one looking better than the other. The only issue I can potentially think of is a crazily pattterned shirt with french cuffs- might be an issue since it wouldn't look right with a tie, and thus defeat the purpose of having the french cuffs.

Looks like a nice shirt- for a particularly elegant look, try it with a burgundy grenadine tie. The options you've chosen will work as well. The french cuff choice on a shirt like this has no impact other than limiting the attire with which you can wear it (with a tie, and therefore, jacket, at the very least).

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gingham seems too casual for french cuffs. I like them on solid shirts better. Just my opinion though.
smile.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
French cuffs are a pain **********, if you have a reasonable sized watch the cuff will hang up on them constantly and ethier stick out beyond your sleeve too much or get bunched up before your sleeve.

stick to barrels.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
French cuffs are a pain **********, if you have a reasonable sized watch the cuff will hang up on them constantly and ethier stick out beyond your sleeve too much or get bunched up before your sleeve.
I've never had this problem with french cuffs, but I prefer barrel cuffs anyway. Especially with a paterned shirt.

It annoys me how H&H forces a pocket on you if you want a barrel cuff
plain.gif

Lowndes

Reaction score
Thinks for the opinions so far. One more question since my navy suit is still being made and I haven't received the shirt yet. How do you feel about this color of blue on a Navy suit? Too little contrast or will it work well? Thanks again

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Some ideas for you...

navyblazerbluewindowpai.jpg

greysuitpurplegingamshi.jpg

Thanks so much, I always loving seeing what others are doing and try to incorporate that into creating my personal style.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
I've never had this problem with french cuffs, but I prefer barrel cuffs anyway. Especially with a paterned shirt.

It annoys me how H&H forces a pocket on you if you want a barrel cuff
plain.gif

Just so you know they will remove the pocket if you ask. They are removing all of the pockets on my shirts. I believe they can only do this on Poplins.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a little confused. The shirt you reference is for a wedding? or an internship
at a Law Firm? If for the latter, I would cancel my order and substitute this
from H&H:

G5 - Blue mini check shirt - £49.50

Also a word about H& H. I ordered a bunch of shirts from them a few years ago.
I specified button cuffs for the dress shirts and button cuffs for the "country
shirts". The "dress"shirts came with French Cuffs. H&H offered to exchange
the shirts for button cuffs. I didn't bother. You might remind them of you
preference. In Britain the "default" cuff on dress shirts is "French cuffs"

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Gingham seems too casual for french cuffs. I like them on solid shirts better. Just my opinion though.
smile.gif

+1 on the French cuffs, but everything else in your proposed outfit is a superb look!

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
I am a little confused. The shirt you reference is for a wedding? or an internship
at a Law Firm? If for the latter, I would cancel my order and substitute this
from H&H:

G5 - Blue mini check shirt - £49.50

Also a word about H& H. I ordered a bunch of shirts from them a few years ago.
I specified button cuffs for the dress shirts and button cuffs for the "country
shirts". The "dress"shirts came with French Cuffs. H&H offered to exchange
the shirts for button cuffs. I didn't bother. You might remind them of you
preference. In Britain the "default" cuff on dress shirts is "French cuffs"

Thanks, yes I met them at their trunk show and made clear why I needed button cuffs. They are removing all the pockets so I doubt they mix it up with the french cuff shirts, since the french cuff shirts don't have pockets. Thanks though.

I am actually going to be getting the blue mini check shirt for the law firm. I probably didn't make myself clear in the initial post. This Gingham shirt that I am ordering I don't have to be quite as subdued with because it really isn't for the law firm. Just for fun where I can express a little bit more of my personal style without worrying about being pretentious or anything. All of the other shirts I ordered are for wearing at the law firm specifically.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyw
+1 on the French cuffs, but everything else in your proposed outfit is a superb look!

thanks

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

stick to barrels.

This is a problem if you get RTW French cuffs. One more reason to go tailor made my friend - he just makes one cuff larger than the other to accommodate your watch.

Barrels have their place but IMO it can make your jacket sleeve look saggy if it's not "filled" properly with a (larger) French cuff - of course this depends on the fit of the jacket.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
smile.gif

This is a matter of personal taste... some people readily pull off checks in French cuffs (Brits especially), some people don't want them.

For blue shirt plus blue jacket, I'd think about my complexion, plus I'd mute/accent with an appropriate tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads