• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy suit with chocolate brown tie

theinternet

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am curious about SF's opinion on wearing a dark navy suit with a slim chocolate brown tie.
1284572797.384902594.primary.medium.jpg
31xdwoYrJrL._SL500_SX300_SY390_CR,0,0,300,390_.jpg
I haven't seen this done much before, and that would tell me its a no-no; however, it seems like such an obvious pairing to me. Thoughts?

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy suit + white shirt + dark brown grenadine tie + dark brown shoes and belt is one of my go-to outfits when I'm getting dressed while half-awake at six in the morning and am not awake enough to think about these things. It may not be pushing the envelope but it looks great to me.

My preference is for dark brown for everything (tie, shoes, belt.)

theinternet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
Navy suit + white shirt + dark brown grenadine tie + dark brown shoes and belt is one of my go-to outfits when I'm getting dressed while half-awake at six in the morning and am not awake enough to think about these things. It may not be pushing the envelope but it looks great to me.

My preference is for dark brown for everything (tie, shoes, belt.)

Hmm. I was thinking about wearing this tie/suit color combo with walnut AE McAllisters, but that might be a bad idea. Maybe it would work if I bought a walnut colored belt as well? Thoughts on that?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theinternet
Hmm. I was thinking about wearing this tie/suit color combo with walnut AE McAllisters, but that might be a bad idea. Maybe it would work if I bought a walnut colored belt as well? Thoughts on that?

I am not a fan of walnut shoes, Tim_Horton is right, you want to go all dark brown in that outfit. Suede shoes would work also. If you want to wear the walnut shoes, I'd wear a similar belt and a different tie.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am curious about SF's opinion on wearing a dark navy suit with a slim chocolate brown tie.
1284572797.384902594.primary.medium.jpg

Is that an indochino suit? Edit: Just looked at the pic URL. Confirmed. Navy and brown should look just fine together.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by edmorel
I am not a fan of walnut shoes, Tim_Horton is right, you want to go all dark brown in that outfit. Suede shoes would work also. If you want to wear the walnut shoes, I'd wear a similar belt and a different tie.

I also don't like walnut shoes in general. Just a personal preference, so I can't help you there regarding what looks good with them.

theinternet

Reaction score

So walnut shoes and belt would not work with a brown tie and navy suit?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So walnut shoes and belt would not work with a brown tie and navy suit?

"work" is subjective. Will you look better dressed than the majority that would be wearing some black squared toe shoes and some ugly repp/print tie? Yes. But if you want to go "next-level", go with dark brown shoes/belts or suede shoes.

theinternet

Reaction score
"work" is subjective. Will you look better dressed than the majority that would be wearing some black squared toe shoes and some ugly repp/print tie? Yes. But if you want to go "next-level", go with dark brown shoes/belts or suede shoes.

Well said.

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Is that an indochino suit?

Edit: Just looked at the pic URL. Confirmed.

It doesn't appear to fit very well.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Precisely why I thought it was indochino.

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
^ Precisely why I thought it was indochino.
?????????????? why are there one thousand, eight hundred and fifty "should I or shouldn't I" posts in the Indochino thread when that one picture is all anyone needs to know? Oh, and blue suit + brown tie: sure, why not.

gotlighters

Reaction score
I like that combo, I wear it all the time to work. Sometimes I'll rock my dark brown shoes, and other times I'll mix it up and do my AE evanston shoes in walnut. Don't forget to add the pocket square =]

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
just to echo everyone else...yeah...as a matter of fact I have a navy suit and a brown altea tie on right now.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by howbah
?????????????? why are there one thousand, eight hundred and fifty "should I or shouldn't I" posts in the Indochino thread when that one picture is all anyone needs to know?
Because the IC thread has its own groupthink and is impervious to reason and evidence?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads