• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy suit with brown shoes ...how light is too light (brown)?

Cayne-Abel

Reaction score
Just bought a pair of brown Allen Edmonds Augustas:
1074416-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
I'm wondering how y'all think they'd look in a dark navy suit (subtle stripes). I tried them on with my navy suit, and I have to say, it's a flashier look than I'm used to. btw, this is for a law office (although it's not a terribly conservative environment - we wear jeans when we don't have to go to court that day). Closest photo that I saw that's similar to the combo I have is this (although striping on my suit is more subtle):
light-brown-shoes_010409.jpg
My shoes might be slightly darker, though. General thoughts on the shoes themselves are also welcome. Also, would they work on a charcoal suit w/ subtle stripes?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The real question is will you feel confident enough to wear them?

I myself prefer a darker brown, but then again I'm pretty conservative when it comes to shoe choice.

Cayne-Abel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
The real question is will you feel confident enough to wear them?

I myself prefer a darker brown, but then again I'm pretty conservative when it comes to shoe choice.

I keep hearing that term (that is, "confidence") with regard to fashion.

If one is overly self-conscious / insecure about what they're wearing, does it actually make a difference? Do people really pick up on that vibe?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cayne-Abel
I keep hearing that term (that is, "confidence") with regard to fashion.

If one is overly self-conscious / insecure about what they're wearing, does it actually make a difference? Do people really pick up on that vibe?

If you are not comfortable with what you are wearing you will constantly be thinking about it and worrying about it. Even if you do not show this outwardly it would be a pain and uncomfortable to constantly be worrying about what other people think.

BossTweed

Reaction score
IMO, the shoes in that picture are too bright for the suit. By asking this question, it is apparent you don't have the confidence to dress counter to the "rules".

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's always about confidence. That being said, you should get a nice tan belt to go along with them. I am particularly fond of the look.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but I think the photo you supplied looks a little clownish. This coming from someone, like you, who loves this color in his shoes and badly wants to make it work with as many outfits as possible.

Cayne-Abel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketprotector
Hate to say it, but I think the photo you supplied looks a little clownish. This coming from someone, like you, who loves this color in his shoes and badly wants to make it work with as many outfits as possible.

Funny you mention it, that's exactly the word my wife used to describe the look (although I didn't have a matching belt at the time). Odd thing is, this came from a woman who'd have me buy pimp- and Brooklyn-Russian-gangster suits if she had her way.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
If you are not comfortable with what you are wearing you will constantly be thinking about it and worrying about it. Even if you do not show this outwardly it would be a pain and uncomfortable to constantly be worrying about what other people think.

yes they do , if you arent confident you tend to slouch, and look at the shoes too much giving the impression that you yourself arent convinced you look good if you are doubtful others will be as well, if you are confident unless you look ridiculous no one will think twice about your look

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can go as light as you wish, but the lighter the shoes, the more casual the look.

GIXXER126

Reaction score
As long as your belt is a matching color to your shoes the color will work. I see a lot of people with light brown shoes and dark belts...but to pull your outfit together make sure the belt is a matching color. I have a pair of Cole Haan shoes that are similar color to what you have and I have work them with black pants, matching brown color belt, and a blazer with brown striping. That's my 2 cents.
Those AE shoes are VERY nice!!! Good pickup!

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
... you should get a nice tan belt to go along with them ...

Originally Posted by GIXXER126
As long as your belt is a matching color to your shoes the color will work...

I disagree.

I like the look of brown, even lighter shades of brown, with navy-ish suits, provided there is a congruity in shades. Tan/cognac and dark navy is a bit much for my eye. But I wear snuff suede with a lighter navy quite often. What I find most off-putting is a light colored belt that draws a contrasting line in the wearer's midsection. For this reason, I only wear lighter colored shoes + navy suit with braces.

MCH-est.1818

Reaction score
Sharp shoes!

The problem with the shoes in the photo provided is that they take the focus away from the suit (as well as the individual in it). One's eyes are immediately pulled downward to the shoes and not necessarily due to admiration. There seems to be a need for some balance above the waist to give it better continuity (my 2 cents).

IMO, light brown shoes are better suited for gray or blue-gray suits and more geared towards spring and summer due to the light color BUT they also go well with a blazer and gray flannel trousers.

For a navy suit I would second the dark brown recommendation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads