1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Navy Suit too dark for brown shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ramjet, Sep 13, 2012.

1. ramjet

ramjet Member

Hi,
    Going to a wedding in a couple of weeks, I'm expecting quite a young cool crowd so went for a CK navy blue slim fit suit and was thinking medium brown pointed shoes and belt with lighter blue tie and white handkerchief but think possibly the suit colour starts to look black as the light fades!

Don't want to wear black shoes so it's either go for the brown or maybe something like the picture below.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated

http://www.very.co.uk/ted-baker-ker...n=/b/1977/s/newin,0/o/2/r/100/promo/145700019

2. john parker

john parker Well-Known Member

3. ramjet

ramjet Member

Thanks I am looking right now!

Do you have an opinion on the shoes in my link for a navy suit?

4. jeg

jeg Member

The shoes look a little red for my tastes, but that could be my monitor. Also, the back of the shoes look a little gimmicky with the label - but again, I like simplicity.

Personally, I like a brown shoe with a navy or a grey suit over a black shoe - even if the navy suit is pretty dark. IMHO, wearing a good brown shoe shows more style than a black one.

5. ramjet

ramjet Member

Thanks and I agree!

just been doubting myself today for some reason

6. duggyald

duggyald Senior member

Light brown or tan shoes would be perfect with a navy suit.

7. john parker

Out of curiosity, why not black? Have a dark navy suit myself, needing new shoes, and thinking black.

8. chogall

chogall Senior member

Styleforum.

9. sturm07

sturm07 Well-Known Member

Those are technically dark burgundy. With a Navy suit, you can go black or dark brown shoes. If you want to stand out and he a hipster, you will have to go with brown/cognac shoes. Still, it deepens on your suit. How dark is the Navy blue of the suit? If your suit is like Light Navy Blue and slim cut; you can wear those brown/burgundy shoes.

10. john parker

Could you please point me to the definitive thread? Thanks!

11. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

Those shoes look extra-shiny, are they corrected grain?

You'll find a lot of love here for the Allen Edmonds Strand in Walnut for a navy suit. The combination of broguing and color may make them a little less formal than you're comfortable with for a wedding however. The Strand comes in a darker brown as well.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  12. Zac Duncan

Zac Duncan Well-Known Member

Go with dark brown, burgundy does not match with navy suit.

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

No specific thread, but if you been here long enough, the default response would be brown in color, shell in leather, and double monk in design. And if its AE recommendation, it would be semibrogue oxford in tan, walnut AE Strand.

Not the most suitable choices most of the time.

14. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Sure it does.

15. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Gross. Of all the things perpetuated on this site, this kind of shoe is the one thing that makes the least sense to me. Why SF rallies behind one of the ugliest shoe designs is a mystery to me.

16. chogall

chogall Senior member

not just this site, but all #menswear. sf rendition will have shell cordovan double monk

17. chogall

chogall Senior member

not "a little less" formal. walnut color will clash with navy suit and draw all attention to it. not classic, not formal.

18. ramjet

ramjet Member

well I'm trying to be a bit more confident with my style this year for the first time in my life and I feel brown is the right choice for me.
    I seem to make the right choices then doubt myself all the time, lack of confidence in what you're wearing will ruin any style choices!

Thanks for the help, my suit is fairly dark navy but tried everything on last night and I really like it with the brown shoes.

Was thinking of maybe adding a silver tie bar any thoughts?