• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Navy suit: solid or nailhead?

minimal

Reaction score
For the "one, basic suit" are there arguments for one over the other? The only thing this suit is *not* going to have to do is interviews. I've started to feel like solid navy is a bit severe, but am interested in arguments either way.

Thanks,

Min

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that case, don't worry about the nailhead. I would say that even a navy nailhead would be appropriate for all except the most formal interview situations.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a navy nailhead is fine for anything, including interviews. Although solid is better for interviews, but like you said, this suit isn't for interviews.

Go with whatever rocks your boat.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minimal
For the "one, basic suit" are there arguments for one over the other? The only thing this suit is *not* going to have to do is interviews. I've started to feel like solid navy is a bit severe, but am interested in arguments either way. Thanks, Min
I was in the same boat you were. I just picked up my Samuelsohn MTM yesterday in navy nailhead. I like the texture nailhead gives - it's a bit more interesting to my eye. It also has less of a 'sheen' or shine that solid worsted can sometimes possess. So to sum up my vote is for nailhead

minimal

Reaction score
Do you nailhead-owners feel it makes the suit much less dressy? (I hesitate to say "more casual".) Not that this would be a bad thing, I just don't have one to look at in front of me and my imagination is limited.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another vote for nailhead

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minimal
Do you nailhead-owners feel it makes the suit much less dressy? (I hesitate to say "more casual".) Not that this would be a bad thing, I just don't have one to look at in front of me and my imagination is limited.

It's a fine line between a true blue nailshead and a blue/grey one. I never thought to measure the formality. It cant be "much less dressy". At most, it's slightly less dressy like dark flannel is to dark worsted of the same weight.

gj555

Reaction score
I like the nailhead. You can also try a herringbone. I own 2 navy suits one is a fine nailhead/pinhea dand the other subtle herringbone.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think nailhead is fine even for interviews. I can't picture someone actually thinking less of you because you wore a nailhead suit...

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 nailhead. Better drape and less prone to severe wrinkles in most instances.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I think nailhead is fine even for interviews. I can't picture someone actually thinking less of you because you wore a nailhead suit...

I dunno bout dat. Just the other day I was in the kitchen at the office and I overheard these two guys who talked like Thurston Howell III telling a story, one of them was describing someone he clearly had disdain for and ended the conversation with "He was a real looooser too, you know, the type who wears a nailheads suit."

Actually are we talking about birdseye here? Nail head is that irregular and very small rectangular pattern woven into the fabric whereas I think birdseye is that slightly larger round pattern. I often get it mixed up because so many others did when I was learning about it. Its like a word from childhood that you will always pronounce wrong because you read it for years before you ever heard it pronounced or a classic song thats ruined for you always bc you first heard it associated with some cheesy commercial or cartoon.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nailhead

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
Well then those I just consider a richer version of a solid.
Exactly like an oxford cloth or dobby

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%