Navy suit: solid or nailhead?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by minimal, Oct 13, 2006.

1. minimal

minimal Senior member

For the "one, basic suit" are there arguments for one over the other? The only thing this suit is *not* going to have to do is interviews. I've started to feel like solid navy is a bit severe, but am interested in arguments either way.

Thanks,

Min

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

In that case, don't worry about the nailhead. I would say that even a navy nailhead would be appropriate for all except the most formal interview situations.

3. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I think a navy nailhead is fine for anything, including interviews. Although solid is better for interviews, but like you said, this suit isn't for interviews.

Go with whatever rocks your boat.

4. william

william Senior member

For the "one, basic suit" are there arguments for one over the other? The only thing this suit is *not* going to have to do is interviews. I've started to feel like solid navy is a bit severe, but am interested in arguments either way. Thanks, Min
    I was in the same boat you were. I just picked up my Samuelsohn MTM yesterday in navy nailhead. I like the texture nailhead gives - it's a bit more interesting to my eye. It also has less of a 'sheen' or shine that solid worsted can sometimes possess. So to sum up my vote is for nailhead [​IMG]

5. minimal

minimal Senior member

Do you nailhead-owners feel it makes the suit much less dressy? (I hesitate to say "more casual".) Not that this would be a bad thing, I just don't have one to look at in front of me and my imagination is limited.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Another vote for nailhead

7. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Do you nailhead-owners feel it makes the suit much less dressy? (I hesitate to say "more casual".) Not that this would be a bad thing, I just don't have one to look at in front of me and my imagination is limited.

It's a fine line between a true blue nailshead and a blue/grey one. I never thought to measure the formality. It cant be "much less dressy". At most, it's slightly less dressy like dark flannel is to dark worsted of the same weight.

8. gj555

gj555 Senior member

I like the nailhead. You can also try a herringbone. I own 2 navy suits one is a fine nailhead/pinhea dand the other subtle herringbone.

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I think nailhead is fine even for interviews. I can't picture someone actually thinking less of you because you wore a nailhead suit...

10. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

+1 nailhead. Better drape and less prone to severe wrinkles in most instances.

11. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

12. Film Noir Buff

I think nailhead is fine even for interviews. I can't picture someone actually thinking less of you because you wore a nailhead suit...

I dunno bout dat. Just the other day I was in the kitchen at the office and I overheard these two guys who talked like Thurston Howell III telling a story, one of them was describing someone he clearly had disdain for and ended the conversation with "He was a real looooser too, you know, the type who wears a nailheads suit."

Actually are we talking about birdseye here? Nail head is that irregular and very small rectangular pattern woven into the fabric whereas I think birdseye is that slightly larger round pattern. I often get it mixed up because so many others did when I was learning about it. Its like a word from childhood that you will always pronounce wrong because you read it for years before you ever heard it pronounced or a classic song thats ruined for you always bc you first heard it associated with some cheesy commercial or cartoon.

13. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Nailhead

14. Film Noir Buff

Nailhead

Well then those I just consider a richer version of a solid.

15. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Well then those I just consider a richer version of a solid.
    Exactly like an oxford cloth or dobby