• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy suit, pastel shirts, what ties?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm pretty sartorially challenged, and I'd like some advice on tie colors that would go with what I mentioned in the topic. What do you put with pastel shirts and navy suit...dark or blue tie....completey different colored tie, agh so difficult! This is much harder than picking out ties for black and gray suits! lol

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's a classic look that involves a navy suit, light pink shirt, and silver tie.

i think the tie color depends on the season. if you're wearing a pastel shirt because it's spring/summer, i'd suggest a lighter tie to go with it.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. Creativity with colors is definately not my strong point. Would you suggest that the tie ties in the colors of the suit and shirt....or should/can it be something completely different?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have many, many options. One look I like uses a tie with a minority color the same as the shirt color. Virtually any shade of blue will compliment the suit color, so I frequently wear a tie with a blue ground and some design incorporating the shirt color, or a color from the same family (e.g. red, burgundy, pink with a pink shirt or purple with a lavender shirt). You can also try cool suit color (navy), cool shirt color (e.g. light blue), warm tie color (e.g. burgundy). A neutral shirt (e.g. white or ecru) also gives you a lot of leeway.

For more information about color coordination, see the links to "coordination" on this website, about 1/3 of the way down. Andy Gilchrist, who maintains the site, also sells a CD for $19.95 with a lot of good information, including coordination tips.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads