1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Navy suit jacket vs. navy sportscoat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ninjaturtles, Apr 16, 2013.

1. ninjaturtles

ninjaturtles Active Member

What are some of the key differences?

I think the length of the jacket could be one, although some suit jackets these days are very short..

2. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

Ze buttons, they are different.

3. laundry day

laundry day Active Member

Sports coat fabric is usually rougher, thicker, and less formal.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  4. rob

rob Senior member

Could be a few other things such as patch pockets, edge stitching in addition to the items mentioned above. Basically, anything that would make it less formal than what you would expect in a basic business suit.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

A navy blazer will (i) have buttons that do not match the jacket, often in metal, (ii) be in a less formal fabric such as a hopsack or fresco and / or (iii) have patch pockets instead of flap pockets. Some people also do odd jackets with fewer sleeve buttons than suits. It should look different enough from a suit jacket to avoid being viewed as a suit jacket.

6. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

I have one Navy Oxxford SC, and to be honest I can't tell the difference between it and a suit jacket.

The buttons that came with it are dark
    Fabric is very soft and plain.
    Pockets are just like every other suit jacket.

Also have a Navy PRL Blazer...other than the metal buttons, it's a suit jacket.

I guess it all depends on the maker, and how "sportcoaty" it's meant to be, but In my experience a lot of makers today just churn out suit jackets and call them sportcoats...or blazers if they have metal buttons.

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  8. ktown

ktown Senior member

Reviving this thread. I'm looking to get a navy blazer or sportcoat made early next year. I want it to be my staple navy sportcoat for a long time. I've been looking at pics and there are many SC's that look practically the same as suit jackets aside from the buttons. So I guess I'm thinking of:

-2 button, notch lapel
    -Side vents
    -Brown Horn or smoked MOP (I dislike gold, looks too "old mannish")
    -Patch pockets
    -I'm not sure on fabric. Many SC's look like they are plain worsted wool, but would it be fine to get some other material? If so, what material? I live in LA and don't wear jackets much during spring/summer. I was thinking of later getting a cream linen one for spring/summer.

What else can I do to differentiate it from a suit jacket? Would the above configuration be able to be paired with dark, slim jeans or should I only use it for business casual?

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

For some reason, I only like smoked MOP buttons for a summer navy odd jacket. I love metal buttons, but for your tastes I'd do brown horn. You'll have the buttons and patch pockets differentiate it from a navy suit already, so you're in good shape as far as avoiding the orphaned look is concerned. I don't think you need to avoid a worsted wool to avoid the orphaned look, but to my eyes, worsted wool looks odd with patch pockets. I'd consider a serge, hopsack or flannel. It fits the fall / winter season nicely. Don't get a super heavy fabric (it is LA), but something other than worsted would be ideal.

I absolutely hate the look of a navy blazer and jeans; there's just too much of a formality clash IMO. Brown horn buttons help a bit with this, but I'd still avoid it. If you want an odd jacket that works with jeans, I think a lighter (12 ounce or so) faux tweed or maybe a nice brown herringbone jacket would be much better.