• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

navy suit jacket serving as a navy sportcoat

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a simple question, I hope:

Is wearing a navy suit jacket as a sportcoat with odd trousers acceptable, in accordance with the rules, or an invitation to various forms of rough treatment and roll after roll of electrical tape?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never dare to annoint myself a "Speaker of the Law," but in my opinion using any suit coat as a sport coat looks pretty cheesy unless you are aspiring to a sort of "thrift shop grunge" look, which I presume would be unacceptable to the vast majority of regulars on this forum. As a matter of policy, I also shun any sport coat that resembles a suit coat.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was discussed in great detail (well, not 50+ pages of tangents surrounding the discussion, but still detailed) a while back. I think the consensus answer seemed to be "it depends on the suit coat." Â My only current navy suit has hacking pockets and a ticket pocket with side vents, and obviously comes from a suit, so that would be out of the question. Â I may get another navy suit soon and have it made in a manner that lends itself to use as an odd coat. blazer or coat?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. You are king.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.