1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

navy suit jacket serving as a navy sportcoat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnapril, Feb 17, 2005.

1. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

Here is a simple question, I hope:

Is wearing a navy suit jacket as a sportcoat with odd trousers acceptable, in accordance with the rules, or an invitation to various forms of rough treatment and roll after roll of electrical tape?

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

I would never dare to annoint myself a "Speaker of the Law," but in my opinion using any suit coat as a sport coat looks pretty cheesy unless you are aspiring to a sort of "thrift shop grunge" look, which I presume would be unacceptable to the vast majority of regulars on this forum. As a matter of policy, I also shun any sport coat that resembles a suit coat.

3. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Distinguished Member

This was discussed in great detail (well, not 50+ pages of tangents surrounding the discussion, but still detailed) a while back. I think the consensus answer seemed to be "it depends on the suit coat." Â My only current navy suit has hacking pockets and a ticket pocket with side vents, and obviously comes from a suit, so that would be out of the question. Â I may get another navy suit soon and have it made in a manner that lends itself to use as an odd coat. blazer or coat?

4. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

Thanks for the link. You are king. [​IMG]