• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

navy suit, brown shoes, blue shirt, what color tie?

Bosscake

Reaction score
I just became a member of Style Forum today, I found a lot of great information but nothing exactly what I was looking for.

I have a Ben Sherman navy suit along with a Faconnable cavalry twill blue shirt, my question is what color tie is recommended? I was planning on going with a black tie with a white pocket square matching the fabric of the shirt.

I am attending my ex girlfriends wedding and need to look as impressive as possible.

Any help, advice and recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DStew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bosscake
I am attending my ex girlfriends wedding and need to look as impressive as possible.

Thanks

If you ruin her black tie affair by showing up in boots be sure to blame it all on your roots...

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't wear a black tie with brown shoes. One or the other.

If you're wearing the brown shoes, wear a navy, grey, green, or wine-colored tie.

You really shouldn't be going to this event at all. If you insist, at least keep things interesting by standing up and offering an official objection when the preacher asks...

raiderbuck

Reaction score
Well, he did get an invitation (at least I hope...please tell me you're not crashing the wedding? haha)

I vote brown shoes, maybe with a purple/blue tie. Although that may look too monochrome for some. Or white shirt, black shoes with black tie.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy suit, light blue shirt, brown pants --> dark brown grenadine tie. I don't know if that's too conservative, but it is a wedding after all.

Egert

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bosscake
Doesn't end well...

But Dark Navy tie. Maybe even a little paisley...

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black tie is completely wrong. Try a grenadine in solid grey or navy.

Bosscake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raiderbuck
Well, he did get an invitation (at least I hope...please tell me you're not crashing the wedding? haha)

I vote brown shoes, maybe with a purple/blue tie. Although that may look too monochrome for some. Or white shirt, black shoes with black tie.

Definitely not crashing the party, we are on good terms. The wedding is formal.

ndw

Reaction score
Navy pindot.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Egert
Doesn't end well...

But Dark Navy tie. Maybe even a little paisley...

Or end very well. Get with one of the bridesmaids and entertainment ensues.

ktrp

Reaction score
I don't really like black with navy. Or black ties at non-black tie events.

If you want a blue tie, I'd wear a white shirt. Blue on blue with blue sounds a little much.

On the blue shirt, I'd probably wear a yellow tie.

I'd personally opt for white shirt, wedding tie. Second choice white shirt purple tie.

andrew96

Reaction score
Don't wear a black tie. But ties are easy, you can't go wrong too easily. They're a great place for a man to put something different in his suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads