• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Sports coat

ramkius

Reaction score
Hi I have a mathing pants for a navy sports coat. The coat has golden buttons though. Will it be odd/weird to wear it with matching pants like a suit.
Please let me know

phillyesq

Reaction score
Yes, that would look wierd. It sounds like you are describing a navy blazer. The navy blazer, especially one with gold buttons, should not be worn as a suit jacket.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you swap the gold/brass buttons for brown ones it should work.

If you search under blazersuit Manton has nice pics of one, and Voxsartoria has something similar.

The idea of a blazer that can be worn as part of a suit is also described in Hardy Amies ABC of Men's Fashion back in the early 60's and I'm sure there are probably older references to it than that.

ramkius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phillyesq
Yes, that would look wierd. It sounds like you are describing a navy blazer. The navy blazer, especially one with gold buttons, should not be worn as a suit jacket.

No it isn't a blazer. It is a sports coat. The color matches with the pants though. Still not good a suit?

rlx

Reaction score
A blazer is a type of sport coat. Solid color, usually with metal buttons. A suit would not have metal buttons. Trying to turn a blazer into a suit by wearing it with solid color pants can be difficult unless the fabric color, weight and texture of the coat and pants match. That is difficult to accomplish.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if you replace the gold buttons with horn buttons sartorial afficionados will smell you are not wearing a suit but a blazer with matching pants and subsequently beat you to death with their canes or umbrellas.

chison

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
Even if you replace the gold buttons with horn buttons sartorial afficionados will smell you are not wearing a suit but a blazer with matching pants and subsequently beat you to death with their canes or umbrellas.

needs more cowbell

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger

I volunteer my Briggs, it's a little broken, and I need a new one. I feel like this would be an acceptable and proud way for it to go.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Labelking once beat a peasant to death with his decorative walrus dick so your umbrella would not even be the most elegant object to have been used by the sartorial police.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads