• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Shoes - Looking for options

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An iGent is an on-line clothing poster who hankers after a time that's gone and adopts/affects the speech, clothes/clothing items, mores, justifications &c. of such a time.

In short, he is a nostalgist, usually of the rose tinted spectacle variety with a light drizzling of sanctimony for good measure.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
An iGent is an on-line clothing poster who hankers after a time that's gone and adopts/affects the speech, clothes/clothing items, mores, justifications &c. of such a time.

In short, he is a nostalgist, usually of the rose tinted spectacle variety with a light drizzling of sanctimony for good measure.

Yes, well, again, you can say that now but I can point to dozens of instances where the term is used to mean other things.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Yes, well, again, you can say that now but I can point to dozens of instances where the term is used to mean other things.
Oh, of that I've no doubt.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only consistent thread is who uses it againt whom.
And also who, despite its nebulous definition, gets predictably butthurt about who's calling who what and what what means.
laugh.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
And also who, despite its nebulous definition, gets predictably butthurt about who's calling who what and what what means.
laugh.gif

Just making an observation about the intellectual slipperiness and dishonesty of SF's various iStalkers. Thanks for helping to confirm.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just making an observation about the intellectual slipperiness and dishonesty of SF's various iStalkers. Thanks for helping to confirm.
Let's get down to the facts - I make an observation about latching on to what arguably can be deemed an internet groupthink/fad (hence 'igent') and a seldom-use item not perhaps being the best idea for a wardrobe at a relatively early stage... ...and you come in and make it all about you. Not the first time you've done this too. Who's stalking who? Who's the iBaby? Who wants the iAttention? Who has the iPersecution complex? Who is the iPantywaist?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Let's get down to the facts - I make an observation about latching on to what arguably can be deemed an internet groupthink/fad and a seldom-use item not perhaps being the best idea for a wardrobe at a relatively early stage...

...and you come in and make it all about you.

Not the first time you've done this too. Who's stalking who? Who's the iBaby? Who wants the iAttention? Who has the iPersecution complex? Who is the iPantywaist?

You really want me to dig up some of your unprovoked cheap shots at me? There are lots. You can't find any from me against you. I really had no problem with you until you turned into a raging asshole and started stalking me. I assume it's political, as you strike me as one of those Euro-Anglosphere types who really, really hates American conservatives and especially anyone/thing connected to Bush and believe that out-of-the-blue, cheap shot vituperation is simply owed to anyone in that camp.

As to the shoes and iGents, there is no groupthink around navy shoes. If there is, it is anti. To the extent that iGentry has any coherent meaning, it would have to be opposed to navy shoes.

My point was, and has long been, that "iGent" has no coherent content. It's a phrase coined by iStalkers and used to insult their iEnemies. Its meaning changes from use to use and is quite often 180 degrees contradictory. The fact that you could call navy shoes "iGent" is strong evidence of that.

FTR, I don't own any and never would and I am supposed to be the quintissential "iGent."

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really want me to dig up some of your unprovoked cheap shots at me? There are lots. You can't find any from me against you. I really had no problem with you until you turned into a raging asshole and started stalking me. I assume it's political, as you strike me as one of those Euro-Anglosphere types who really, really hates American conservatives and especially anyone/thing connected to Bush and believe that out-of-the-blue, cheap shot vituperation is simply owed to anyone in that camp.

As to the shoes and iGents, there is no groupthink around navy shoes. If there is, it is anti. To the extent that iGentry has any coherent meaning, it would have to be opposed to navy shoes.

My point was, and has long been, that "iGent" has no coherent content. It's a phrase coined by iStalkers and used to insult their iEnemies. Its meaning changes from use to use and is quite often 180 degrees contradictory. The fact that you could call navy shoes "iGent" is strong evidence of that.

FTR, I don't own any and never would and I am supposed to be the quintissential "iGent."

You do realise that you're getting upset over what someone who lives (literally) half a world away and who you've never met and never will meet IRL says about you on an internet message board devoted to men's clothing, right?

You also do realise that whatever I've said only affects you if you let it affect you, right?

confused.gif

Anyway, FWIW, I have tried navy shoes before (so that makes me igent toooo!!). They are a nice idea in theory, but in practice I found (YMMV):

- they don't go with navy pants, so an entire arm of your wardrobe is somewhat neutered
- they basically necessitate that you wear blue or white shirts, or have some other non-pant blue in your outfit
- if you prefer keeping belts in the same range of tones things get tricky
- they usually escape attention, but when they are noticed inevitably you get painted as a clothing hobbyist or an eccentric of some sort - which may not be cool if you're not into being noticed
- you have to get new shoe care products to keep the colour, or end up darkening them so much with black polish that you might as well polish a black shoe with blue polish to get the same effect
- like seldom use items, they really see seldom use

...like I said, YMMV

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You do realise that you're getting upset over what someone who lives (literally) half a world away and who you've never met and never will meet IRL says about you on an internet message board devoted to men's clothing, right?

You also do realise that whatever I've said only affects you if you let it affect you, right?

Sure, I realize all that.

Do you realize that you consistently go out of your way to write incredibly nasty things to and about a person you have never met, who has never done you any harm, who used to be kindly inclined toward you and engage you in a civil and even friendly manner on a variety of topics until you started to spit venom in his face for no apparent reason and without any provocation?

Which one of us has the bigger problem?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, I realize all that.

Do you realize that you consistently go out of your way to write incredibly nasty things to and about a person you have never met, who has never done you any harm, who used to be kindly inclined toward you and engage you in a civil and even friendly manner on a variety of topics until you started to spit venom in his face for no apparent reason and without any provocation?

Which one of us has the bigger problem?

Probably me, but that's my problem, not your problem.

I really didn't mean the earlier iGent mention as a jibe against you/mafoofan/the usual suspects - and if you took it as such, I am sorry, the same way I am sorry (and slightly pissed at myself) for being drawn into iMud slinging again.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
If that's the ultimate case, I am likely just going to hold off until I can justify dropping serious cash without batting an eye - maybe in another 20 years.
plain.gif

Hold off and save for good pair.
Shoes in link are horrible.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
I'm attempting not to pull the trigger on these desert boots, but it's killing me.

3916-2119-photo3.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics