• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy pinstripe suit

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a navy (with white) pinstripe suit in a fine worsted wool fabric. I've decided I want it to be a double breasted suit, but I can't seem to decide if I want it to be a navy or bright navy (or dark/midnight vs regular navy if you'd like). A dark navy seems more dull/flat, while a bright navy would be more vibrant. Any classic rules to adhere by? Which is more timeless?

Here're two examples:

Dark navy pinstripe
Screenshot_20210502_113037_com.android.chrome_edit_239894461744644.jpg

Bright navy pinstripe
Screenshot_20210502_110550_com.instagram.android_edit_239877105185793.jpg

The fabric pics aren't perfect, but here're the two fabrics I'm deciding on:

Dark navy pinstripe
Screenshot_20210502_114313_com.huawei.browser_edit_240687261995044.jpg

Bright navy pinstripe
Screenshot_20210502_114304_com.huawei.browser_edit_240670029360151.jpg

Comparison shot (L: bright, R: dark)
Screenshot_20210502_114329_com.huawei.browser_edit_240697556845043.jpg

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of pinstripes. However, if you’re going to do it, I’d opt for the brighter, as you’ve phrased it.

There’s a certain boldness that goes with pinstripes, so if you’re going to do it, do it right. The brighter fabric has more contrast and seems more distinct. Paired with the double breasted style it makes more of a statement.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of pinstripes. However, if you’re going to do it, I’d opt for the brighter, as you’ve phrased it.

There’s a certain boldness that goes with pinstripes, so if you’re going to do it, do it right. The brighter fabric has more contrast and seems more distinct. Paired with the double breasted style it makes more of a statement.
Thanks for your input. What is it that you don't like with pinstripe suits? Sure, it shouldn't be our first, second or even fifth suit. But I think both pinstripe and chalkstripe suits have their place in a wardrobe, especially if you're field of work is business/finance.

I'm planning on adding a chalkstripe suit as well in the future, but trying to plan my purchases ahead.

I'm liking the more vibrant look, but not sure I'd prefer it in the longrun. I've looked through multiple pictures of pinstripe suits, and the brighter navy always catches my eye. Just trying to avoid making a decision based on temporary desires. Thus, I'm glad you're on the same page as me with regards to shade.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s just a personal preference. I just prefer solids and checks. I like the way they look. I just don’t think they look good on me.

I don’t work in finance or a profession that requires me to wear a suit, so when I do wear one, it’s usually for social occasions. A pinstripe suit just makes it look like I came in from the office.

it’s probably why I like the bolder, higher contrast fabric.

Again, just my opinion.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s just a personal preference. I just prefer solids and checks. I like the way they look. I just don’t think they look good on me.

I don’t work in finance or a profession that requires me to wear a suit, so when I do wear one, it’s usually for social occasions. A pinstripe suit just makes it look like I came in from the office.

it’s probably why I like the bolder, higher contrast fabric.

Again, just my opinion.
Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A pinstripe suit just makes it look like I came in from the office.

Pinstripe is a business fabric. When you try to make it bolder or less business-like, you make it an orphaned style, like people here who commission green or red oxfords. Lots of stuff on here has lost its language in this way. The outfits become rootless, clashing, and nonsensical.

Prefer chalkstripes over pinstripes. But between the two fabrics the OP listed, I would go for the darker color. The brighter fabric is very #pitttiuomo.

If the OP doesn't have to wear pinstripe suits to work, I think he should pick a different fabric. Choose something that makes sense for your lifestyle. Think about how fabrics and styles are used traditionally to communicate certain things. Wearing a bright, bold pinstripe to social bars will look awkward. And it will not look right for the office.

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pinstripe is a business fabric. When you try to make it bolder or less business-like, you make it an orphaned style, like people here who commission green or red oxfords. Lots of stuff on here has lost its language in this way. The outfits become rootless, clashing, and nonsensical.

Prefer chalkstripes over pinstripes. But between the two fabrics the OP listed, I would go for the darker color. The brighter fabric is very #pitttiuomo.

If the OP doesn't have to wear pinstripe suits to work, I think he should pick a different fabric. Choose something that makes sense for your lifestyle. Think about how fabrics and styles are used traditionally to communicate certain things. Wearing a bright, bold pinstripe to social bars will look awkward. And it will not look right for the office.
Thanks for your thorough answer. I really appreciate it.

I don't have to wear pinstripe suits, but I can. It wouldn't look odd given my profession. Rarely does anyone have to wear anything specific apart from looking presentable in a generally practical country such as Sweden.

I like how pinstripe and chalkstripe suits look, hence I'm looking to add it to my suit collection.

With that being said, the acquisition will be made in the fall. What you've said have given me something to think about. Maybe I don't need two striped suits. If I come to the conclusion I might only get a chalkstripe in a fuzzy flannel. But I would like to be able to wear a striped suit during the warmer months as well, hence my initial decision to acquire a pinstripe in a light fine worsted wool fabric and another in a fuzzy flannel fabric.

adrianvo

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a navy (with white) pinstripe suit in a fine worsted wool fabric. I've decided I want it to be a double breasted suit, but I can't seem to decide if I want it to be a navy or bright navy (or dark/midnight vs regular navy if you'd like). A dark navy seems more dull/flat, while a bright navy would be more vibrant. Any classic rules to adhere by? Which is more timeless?

Here're two examples:

Dark navy pinstripe
View attachment 1603129

Bright navy pinstripe
View attachment 1603130

The fabric pics aren't perfect, but here're the two fabrics I'm deciding on:

Dark navy pinstripe
View attachment 1603132

Bright navy pinstripe
View attachment 1603131

Comparison shot (L: bright, R: dark)
View attachment 1603133
Someone who actually loves pinstripe suits here, and owns many.

Don't be too obsessed with rules or the judgment of others. Do you, and enjoy it with the aesthetics in hand.

If you're going for worsted wool, definitely go for the regular navy one.
The darker/midnight navy pinstripes are more formal and looks way better with finer fabrics, than those worsted wool fabrics in my opinion. I would also recommend going for a three-piece suit if you're not going with double-breasted for pinstripe suits.

Also, in simple terms you could say that the larger the space between the stripes - the less formal it is. However, a suit with narrow spacing between the stripes CAN be more versatile.

Pinstripe suits are definitely a statement (as already mentioned), so ignore some of the previous comments here. Certain people on this forum have pattern-phobia, and thinks anything but plain fabrics are blasphemous.

Some nice examples here on how to have fun with pinstripes, because why not:
a5808b8ac788dff56a40699477ab6d3b.jpg

7be234ab0716cf964e63fd2945991b8a.jpg

7125f89a3043a79d6ceeca9861701b87.jpg

3777a8d05cc8c64e52ddea8aff39fd1e.jpg

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't be too obsessed with rules or the judgment of others.

The darker/midnight navy pinstripes are more formal and looks way better with finer fabrics (S120~130, around 260gr) than worsted wool in my opinion.

Don't think you even know the terms you're using. Super fabrics are worsteds.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Desperate as always.

Emphasis on "finer", not the super numbers.

All fine fabrics are worsteds.

Worsted just means that the hairs have been combed before they're spun into yarn. This is necessary when you're making fine fabrics. It doesn't make sense to say that you think something looks better in a fine fabric rather than a worsted, as fine fabrics are worsted.

adrianvo

Reaction score
All fine fabrics are worsteds.

Worsted just means that the hairs have been combed before they're spun into yarn. This is necessary when you're making fine fabrics. It doesn't make sense to say that you think something looks better in a fine fabric rather than a worsted, as fine fabrics are worsted.
I know, I was referring to the examples OP posted.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone who actually loves pinstripe suits here, and owns many.

Don't be too obsessed with rules or the judgment of others. Do you, and enjoy it with the aesthetics in hand.

The darker/midnight navy pinstripes are more formal and looks way better with finer fabrics, than those worsted wool fabrics in my opinion. I would also recommend going for a three-piece suit if you're not going with double-breasted for pinstripe suits.

Also, in simple terms you could say that the larger the space between the stripes - the less formal it is. However, a suit with narrow spacing between the stripes CAN be more versatile.

Pinstripe suits are definitely a statement (as already mentioned), so ignore some of the previous comments here. Certain people on this forum have pattern-phobia, and thinks anything but plain fabrics are blasphemous.

Some nice examples here on how to have fun with pinstripes, because why not:
a5808b8ac788dff56a40699477ab6d3b.jpg

7be234ab0716cf964e63fd2945991b8a.jpg

7125f89a3043a79d6ceeca9861701b87.jpg

3777a8d05cc8c64e52ddea8aff39fd1e.jpg
Thank you for your input, sir. Clothing is indeed subjective and as you said, the most important thing is to have fun with your wardrobe and feel comfortable in what you put on.

Having said that, I've often found myself most comfortable when I adhere to classic menswear rules as I'm risk avert when it comes to clothing. I rarely wear patterned suits and a pinstripe suit would already be out of my comfort zone.

The dark navy would be a safe bet. However, I'm really liking the looks of the brighter navy. I guess I'll let it sink in for a couple of weeks before deciding on what to do.

Again, to you and the other members that have been posting, I truly appreciate your time and input. Thank you.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your input, sir. Clothing is indeed subjective and as you said, the most important thing is to have fun with your wardrobe and feel comfortable in what you put on.

Having said that, I've often found myself most comfortable when I adhere to classic menswear rules as I'm risk avert when it comes to clothing. I rarely wear patterned suits and a pinstripe suit would already be out of my comfort zone.

The dark navy would be a safe bet. However, I'm really liking the looks of the brighter navy. I guess I'll let it sink in for a couple of weeks before deciding on what to do.

Again, to you and the other members that have been posting, I truly appreciate your time and input. Thank you.

if you like the look of the brighter suit, as you call it, then that’s what you should go with. Everything offered here is just opinion. Ultimately, you have to be comfortable with wearing it.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not a true navy? I feel that the dark navy you posted is too dark (midnight) and the bright navy is a shade too bright. TBH it’s hard for me to tell the scale/spacing of the stripes on the swatches you posted. I’d want to get a better idea of that before making a decision.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads