• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Pinstripe Suit Advice, please?

jcoutre2

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am a college senior in my low 20s, so from what I have read my sense of "classic" clothing is different than that of many on this site. I'm also pretty limited on my budget, so I take ideas from here and try to find similar things on ebay, etc. I recently purchased this Banana Republic suit on ebay:

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/n...00p01v01-1.jpg
http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/n...9-00av3v01.jpg

and intend to wear it with my brown shoes (Stacy Adams Modena in Buffalo Cognac):

http://www.stacyadams.com/shop-sa/re...300&height=190

I'm looking to buy a burgundy tie to compliment the suit, and probably would pair with a flat white shirt (barrel or French cuff, depending). I'm thinking something basic like this:
nts-0002-a.jpg

However, I really like the added flair of a patterned tie such as:
http://images.marketplaceadvisor.cha...nts-0018-b.jpg

Some considerations:
1) I have red hair, though no freckles and decent skin tone (relatively)
2) I am also in the Navy, so my short haircut sometimes limits my ability to "pull off" various styles.

I also have thought about a paisley pattern. I know the basic rules about patterns and overdoing it; my logic is that the shirt is neutral and that the pinstripes are very narrow, so either works. Of course, there are several other options I would have, so I'm open to those as well. I would appreciate the help from any seasoned veterans who may be able to offer it. Thanks!

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
wow, you actually have sufficient reason to wear black shoes with a navy pinstripe suit.

People say 'too military' look, but then you can counter with "I'm a naval officier" hoho.

Brown shoes- Tick
White shirt- Two thumbs up?

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend against those square toed shoes. The colour is nice though. If the suit is dark navy stick to darker browns and black, if it is lighter navy lighter browns are fine. And match your belt shoes etc. Oh and don't match your pocketsquare to your tie, stick with white linen if you want something that is always appropriate.

The tie and shirt combo is very "power suit" when paired with black cap toes. It's very business-like and good for interviews.

Paisley would look fine.

rs232

Reaction score
Navy suit, white shirt, black oxfords, black/silver tie, and white pocket square. Personal favourite!

For example:
C68621a.jpg

Or other ideas:
d24333a.jpg

d18491a.jpg

D24487a.jpg

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Choose a strong coloured tie, not a weak one like silver or white.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads