1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Navy Pinstripe Odd Trousers

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by khughes44, Feb 24, 2018.

1. khughes44

khughes44 Member

I rather impulsively bought a very good quality pair of dress trousers on Ebay. They are navy with a faint pinstripe. I'm lost as to how to compose an outfit including them. Any suggestions?

2. khughes44

khughes44 Member

Okay; no hope for rescue. Back on Ebay they go.

3. Tramlines

Tramlines Well-Known Member

You're right - that was impulsive.....on both counts!

What was the cut like? Did it fit your shape well?

Pinstripes can be worn informally or dress down too - although it depends much on the kind of cut.

4. jaxenro

jaxenro Senior Member

Gray pinstripe trousers ( formal stripe actually) and a black suit jacket are the essentials of a stroller I suppose something along those lines might work. Look up stroller suits for inspiration

5. khughes44

khughes44 Member

The cut and fit are perfect for suit pants. They were a brand (Isaia) that I recently discovered and like very much. However, they simply look like the lower half of a suit, like the jacket's missing, which it is. When I bought them it never occured to me that they may be orphaned suit pants.

I tried them with a couple shades of grey blazers and they don't look right. I thought someone here may have had a magic formula, but after 30 or so views there were no responses. Thank you for yours though.

6. khughes44

khughes44 Member

Thanks; I saw a beautiful Canali stroller suit composed of a very dark grey jacket, almost black, light grey shadow stripe pants and even lighter grey vest. Looked pretty good.

I have to say my black blazer and these pants don't get along well at all. They're crying for the suit jacket.

7. jaxenro

jaxenro Senior Member

Navy and black don’t usually go together. Maybe an ivory sports coat? What color are the stripes?

8. khughes44

khughes44 Member

s-l500.jpg Very faint blue and grey, as shown if you enlarge it.

9. jaxenro

jaxenro Senior Member

That’s a tough one to work with.

10. khughes44

khughes44 Member

Yes, its a shame. Beautiful fabric, nicely cut. I only paid $65 for them, so no harm done, but I would love to be able to wear them.

11. Tramlines

Tramlines Well-Known Member

It's not a brand I've heard of - although if you love the fabric and it only cost that much and doesn't co-ordinate with stroller suits, the only workable alternatives I can think of:

1. wear with a plain white shirt and throw a black overcoat on - no jacket.

2. Tailor the fit, to make it a modern carrot fit which can be worn with sneakers (!) or casual wear. You might have to unpress the mid-line crease if there is one. There are a lot of contemporary designers who do the opposite - Cabourn, Pike Brothers, Stevenson, Hansen all use contemporary cut pinstripe trousers which don't require co-ordinating jackets. If the fit is a straight work wear drain pipe drop, it probably isn't really interesting and would probably cost you another $30 to get it tailored to a fit that looks more contemporary.

All I can see on my screen is a picture of dark navy trousers with no detailing, no pleating, no interesting belt loops nor cut. At this time of the year, orphaned suit halves aren't uncommon - but at least you didn't end up with the pinstripe jacket half, which is even more unworkable and unwearable without the trouser half!

12. Anachronist

Anachronist Senior Member

Isaia is in fact one of the famous family owned tailors in Naples, Italy, who are reknown for high quality, hand-crafted suits and shirts (think Kiton, but not quite as famous). Isaia garments are usually a bit "wilder" when it comes to pattern and color - their designer seems to love checks and stripes - very little plain colored fabrics in their collections - at times they remind me a bit of Etro, but just a little more old school. I own a few of their shirts, which are beautiful and hand-sewn... only topped by Cesare Attolini or Kiton in my opinion.

The trousers are a bargain price-wise if they are new and not used, but the pattern admittedly does look like they came from a suit. Difficult, but not impossible to combine...e.g. with a cardigan or sweater in a light to medium grey for the informal look or a jacket in a lighter grey or even a mid to darker brown. I'd probably go with something in a flannel or structured fabric, I could even with a lot of fantasy imagine something in a glen check or with an overcheck either in navy or the shade of grey in the trousers (especially in a brown jacket)... but I admit that is a bit on the courageous side.

13. Adam007

Adam007 Active Member

Shame as the pinstripes look so delicate and fabric soft will be difficult to pair with another jacket